Hi all, this build was a new experience for me as I have never built a jet aircraft before. The end result was not bad for a first time build, though there is a lot of room for improvement. The learning curve was steep and I made a few mistakes along the way, but overall the model looks like a fairly accurate representation of an F-4J Phantom II that flew with VF-151 during the late 1970's. 3-Wire's flight deck base adds to the flavor also.

The model is not perfectly marked. Some of the mistakes are due to my lack of knowledge and inexperience. And some mistakes are due to just not having the decals to mark the aircraft in VF-151 livery during the time period it represents. All that being said however, the guy I built it for; a friend who flew as a RIO in VF-151 is very happy with the model, so I got fairly close to getting it completely right. Another first with this build was using Alclad II metallic paint. Airbrushing the Alclad paint turned out alright for a first run, but I've got some learning to do to say the least. I did not weather the model much as the jets in the reference pictures I have from my friend look pretty clean and well maintained.

Enjoy the photos!

dsc00285n.jpg

dsc00283ya.jpg

dsc00284pz.jpg

dsc00291bg.jpg

dsc00289bl.jpg

dsc00294ym.jpg

dsc00297cn.jpg

dsc00298c.jpg

dsc00299rj.jpg

Thank you for the kind and generous comments guys. To tell the truth, I was a bit apprehensive about posting the build given the top quality work on jet aircraft that is displayed on here.

Netz, the kit is Hasegawa's "Showtime 100" kit with a Legends cockpit. My friend bought the kit a few years ago and never built it. He asked me if I thought I could build a fairly accurate replica of a VF-151 F-4J for him, and I agreed to give it a shot.

Getting the markings right turned out to be the toughest part of the build. I first bought a set of Cam Decals from Sprue Brothers that were listed as having VF-151 markings. The decal set actually has VF-151's sister squadron VF-161's markings - Doh!. Plan B, I bought the old Microscale set that has VF-151 markings on it and thought I was good to go. Unfortunately the decals were so old they fell apart when dipped in water, so I had to go to Plan C, which was to use the kit decals to piece together the squadron and aircraft numbers. I also got the USS Midway decals of the Cam set. Unfortunately, they are Low-Res which were used in the mid-80's on the F-4S Phantoms, so they are a bit out of place. Sorry for the long tale, but hopefully the Phantom experts out there won't think I'm completely clueless as to what right looks like. :whistle:

Ernest