Hobbyboss TA-7C woes

Hi all,

Sorry to go over old ground here, but a while back I saw a thread on here regarding the front section issues of the 1/48 Hobbyboss "Twosairs"

There were side by side photos with the Hasegawa A7E and pictures of the real a/c to show the problems around the Intake and canopy area.

Does anyone have a link for the thread as I can no longer find it.

Thanks

just to give you heads up, I just finished the HB A-7K and I doubt I will ever do one again, there is really alot of work on it, and I found that alot of small details were missing/ incorect etc, if intererested contact me and i can walk you through it

Thanks for the replies, I eventually found what it was that I was looking for but it turned out to be a comparison between the HB A-7A and the Has A-7E.

So lets cut to the chase.........

I want to build a TA-7C in 1/48, cost isn't a factor in the build so do I go with

1/ Hobbyboss

2/ Hasegawa/RVHP conversion( I've heard the RVHP set has it own issues)

3/ Has/RVHP and load it it with Aires tubs, wheel bays etc...

4/ Wait as someone will produce a correct shape kit and release the day after I win the lottery.....

Would appreciate it if any one that has built the RVHP gets in touch.

Regards

Scott

• 5 months later...

I'm having the same issues.

To bring back this thread - I want to do an EA-7L. Was looking at the different options and thought about using the Hasegawa kit as the base with some serious surgery cutting off the fuselage forward of the wings to mate the Hobbyboss plastic. Also cutting the top fuselage above the wing from Hobbyboss and somehow placing it over the lower single seat top...

I can't find any pictures of the RVHP kit parts and how it works or how easy it is to deal with. Not too thrilled about the $125-$160 prices for unseen and unknown conversion sets...

I may just buy the Hobbyboss kit and call it a day and deal with the issues.

-brian

not telling you what you should do,,,,,,but, here is what I have all rough cut and ready to file and fit

I build 1/72, so the exact kits used are different,,and I already had the kits in the stash, so I don't know if buying two 1/48 kits would be worth the expense

I am using the HobbyBoss kits as "injected conversion sets" for Fujimi A-7 kits,,,,I have two , one for TA-7C and one for EA-7L, I want the benefit of the nose shape from the Fujimi kit, and the tail and wings from that Fujimi kit

for the second build, I will look at the old Esci kit, but, the nose is molded differently,,,,,on of the pluses of using the Fujimi kit is the way the nose bottom of the nose is designed in that kit

I started out with the idea of just "cutting and grafting here and here",,,,,,but, then realized it is the same number of cuts to just use the cockpit section as a conversion set

Brian: The RVHP conversions supply complete resin fuselage sides so no cuts,just add Hase kit wings etc.

Darren: Do your A-7 FOD covers fit the HB kits?,also have you ever thought of doing the hard plastic style intake/exhaust covers that were common in the 70/80's on USAF A-7's.

Gary

be careful, Darren

store bought A-7 intake covers could be a disaster for a small business

even if properly labeled, and made to fit each kit perfectly,,,,,,we all know that on the internet, it will be "faulty" or "shoddy" covers if someone tries to use them for the opposite kits

can't you see it now,,,people scratching their heads trying to figure how both of these posts can be completely true

"help, my Corsair intake cover has a gap at the bottom", and "help, my Corsair intake cover won't go into the intake"

"who made them",,,,,,SB,,,,,,"why, those dirty rotten, !@#!#!#@$#$%@ rip offs"

Since the 1/32 scale A-7 Corsair II from Trumpeter has the SAME problems

than the HB 1/48 kit I would suggest You to take a look at Zactoman page

(see His announces here at ARC's page) who has a correction set for the

1/32 (only) for the poor Trump kit .

But this is for the monoplace version.

If You already have the HB kit (sorry) You will have to modify so many

things that is better to buy one Hasegawa A-7 D-E and adapt the HB

cockpit correcting all those errors as per Zacto done.

I never saw an A-7 RVHP kit but I saw its Crusader 2 seat and it is HORRIBLE !

If You are a lucky man and still do not have the HB kit nor the RVHP set

I would recommend You to buy the C&H aero miniatures for the A-7K and use

ONLY the front fuselage+cockpit+Vac-canopy+intake duct+rear plug+...

the Hasegawa kit !

Remember that WolfPack Resins just released an 1/48 A-7 biplace cockpit, but

does not have the right biplace canopy.

The only thing I found usable in the HB kit was the decal sheet !

Also I recommend You to see Detail&Scale, In Action and Walkaround books,

and take a look here : http://www.tacattack.com/images/pages/thumbnail/thumbnailpage17.html

Hope it helps You.

SouthViper

Edited by SouthViper

Andre, in our scale, there is also the Falcon set,,,I only have one though, or I would just use those for the pair of aircraft I need

I do wonder how many were built OOB, set on the shelf next to a few A, B, D, and E models,,,,,,,,and a new answer was born

"oh, that,,,,,well, you see, in order to make the top half of the aircraft large enough to fit two pilots, L-T-V had to change the shape of the intake lower half to compensate"

or

"I have built the EA-7L version, that is the shape of the special ECM nose"

"difference?,,,no, no, no, your eyes are fooling you, they are exactly alike"

Thought maybe I'd just buy the HB A-7K two hole, wolfpack cockpit, cover the intake and be done with it but the spine to fuselage area is totally different in the EA-7L. :(... That part may take a Hasegawa donor or scratch building.

This all stemmed from some extra room on an upcoming Adversry sheet and thinking we'd add a VAQ-34 L for fun. Hmmm, may rethink that...

I just saw that Hobby Boss does have a TA-7C which for my purposes is a match for the EA-7L. With the top of the fuselage that has the long LE from the tail and not the big hump. Ok, now just need to find a TA-7C (in 1/48). Any one want to sell one cheap?

thanks,

brian

Thought maybe I'd just buy the HB A-7K two hole, wolfpack cockpit, cover the intake and be done with it but the spine to fuselage area is totally different in the EA-7L.

I think both the 1/72nd and 1/48th HB Twosair kits come with the Navy-style smooth spine and the USAF-style IFR part, so you can either get their A-7K or TA-7C kit.

See the upper left sprue here:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10121730z6/70/6

HTH,

Andre

I just saw that Hobby Boss does have a TA-7C which for my purposes is a match for the EA-7L. With the top of the fuselage that has the long LE from the tail and not the big hump. Ok, now just need to find a TA-7C (in 1/48). Any one want to sell one cheap?

thanks,

brian

Hey Brian,

Keep checking the Squadron monthly flyer. Every few months or so they have the HB TA-7C kit on sale for about $30. I picked one up awhile ago, and plan do do a VAQ-34 EA-7L as well (so please do the decals :thumbsup:) Now that Wolfpack has come out with a two seater cockpit set, this may be my next project.

Would you please PM me when you can? Thanks, Fred.

Andre - Thanks for the info. I'll amend my search to the TA-7C and A-7K!

Thanks Fred - I just threw away this months flyer without even looking at it... I'll check out the next one if I don't find the kit on the secondary market. I usually don't care, but $50+ for this kit seems out of the range that makes it worth in. btw - I don't PM. Just shoot me an email if you want to talk...

-brian

This all stemmed from some extra room on an upcoming Adversry sheet and thinking we'd add a VAQ-34 L for fun. Hmmm, may rethink that...

RETHINK your rethink. I have this kit and THAT is how I wanted to build it!!!!!