Group build proposal

25 members have voted

1. 1. If you're interested in participating...

• ... add your vote here.

EDIT the GB has started; go to:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showforum=262

Hello everybody...

A few months ago I started a research project for a friend on the side. His grandfather served as an A-26 pilot during WWII and Korea, but he knew little about his service. While researching his history, I decided to also build a few of the planes he flew. This got me wondering about other builds of this type. You see them from time to time, people wanting to build something they have a personal connection to, like a grandfather's plane or a veteran neighbour. I find them fascinating to read and watch, which got me thinking about a group build.

So the GB idea would be called the "living history group build." Basically it would involve participants who want to build models they have a personal connection to. So that could be you, a family member or a close friend's family or a veteran you've met that served on a certain aircraft, tank or ship. I'd like to keep it military only, partly because I think we might be going through some touchy subject matter.

However to distinguish this from other group builds, I'm going to make it a requirement that participants write maybe two to three paragraphs about their subject matter. Something like this would be a great start. While I'm sure there will be some great builds, I think the really interesting part of this gb will be the stories that emerge. A few years ago I built a Harvard model for a family member that flew them during WWII. I found it was really rewarding that the gesture brought back a torrent of memories about her experiences during her service. Its those memories and experiences that really draw people in.

As for the timing and duration, I think an August start would be best given the glut of current group builds going on. That also provides a bit of time for people to prepare. Modeling specific aircraft usually involves quite a bit of research and customization; I'm sure some people will have to purchase custom decals to get specific airplanes. On that note I think I'm thinking a year long build.

I've approached a few people already and they seem pretty enthusiastic, so maybe I'll turn it over to the board and see what everybody else thinks.

Edited by -Neu-

I'm totally for this GB. Ever since last year when I finally was able to determine which BG and Squadron my grandfather was on B-17s in the war I've been dying to build his aircraft. I'll have to do custom decals naturally but at least there's no tricky nose art or anything.

I'll also be building another 17 for a local museum to add to their display from a local vets time in WWII. He was flying a 17 that was struck in the tail by a 109 pilot in a last ditch effort to take down the aircraft. The History channel documented this on one of their shows. I'll probably get that one going soon though as I don't want to keep the museum waiting too long. Although the Collings Foundation always comes to visit around August and that might be the best time to give it to the museum.

Either way I hope this GB takes off as I look forward to all of the stories.

I'd be in for this depending on when it started. My father-in-laws father was an A-4 pilot in Nam. I don't know the exact story other than he stayed with the aircraft as it was going down so he could fly it away from a village or something like that. My father-in-law has more info on it.

I'd be in for this depending on when it started. My father-in-laws father was an A-4 pilot in Nam. I don't know the exact story other than he stayed with the aircraft as it was going down so he could fly it away from a village or something like that. My father-in-law has more info on it.

Sounds like a very interesting build. Part of the reason why I'd like to start in August and for it to be a year is to give time for people to obtain the information they need.

I'll also be building another 17

You have issues Hamm :D

I'd be down for this one, a couple projects come to mind for me. One would be one of the ships my dad served on in WWII, the USS Wilkes-Barre, or the USS Porsmouth. I also have had decals for an 18 in the last squadron I was in that have been collecting dust, the cool thing I found with them is the names on the jet are accurate, right down to the COY and SOY, I know both of them.

I'm in!

I would be interested. My build would be a Liberator in Canadian service in WW2.My father's uncle was killed flying from, I believe Gander to Montreal, while in a Liberator. It went down outside of Montreal and wasn't found till a few years after WW2 ended. After I found out some information on it I thought one day I would like to build that aircraft. A cousin of my fathers has the Uncle's medals. I would like to build the plane then take a picture of the medals with the plane.

Sounds like a very interesting build. Part of the reason why I'd like to start in August and for it to be a year is to give time for people to obtain the information they need.

Well in that case I'm in for sure!!

I'm interested. It would give me an excuse to build a US Army AP-2E for my dad (a P2V Neptune configured with SIGINT and COMMINT gear for use by the Army Security Agency). My dad was one of the Army officers assigned to the project. He can't talk too much about its systems as that stuff is still classified, but he was involved with developing its systems. While he never got to fly on the plane, its development is still a part of his history and I have a Falcon vaccuform conversion kit for it (I still need to get a Hasegawa P-2V kit to use on it though).

I'm interested. It would give me an excuse to build a US Army AP-2E for my dad (a P2V Neptune configured with SIGINT and COMMINT gear for use by the Army Security Agency). My dad was one of the Army officers assigned to the project. He can't talk too much about its systems as that stuff is still classified, but he was involved with developing its systems. While he never got to fly on the plane, its development is still a part of his history and I have a Falcon vaccuform conversion kit for it (I still need to get a Hasegawa P-2V kit to use on it though).

Just as a clarification I think connections like this are great and very much worth exploring. Maybe its me, but I think its not just the pilot or crew that are essential for success; the crew chiefs, the designers and even the factory workers that play an important role too... and many of them feel just as involved in the ultimate product. I think what's interesting is maybe what he did (within reason, of course) and maybe why it was an important contribution (like what the aircraft did.)

well I have no piloting family in the background but I was once "saved" by a Slovenian Army B412 helicopter while fighting the forest fire. And had another encounter with the same type when photographing a view that would be from a suggested LJLJ TWR, standing on a sled at 75, 85 and 95meters in hover. Would that count for GB, too?

well I have no piloting family in the background but I was once "saved" by a Slovenian Army B412 helicopter while fighting the forest fire.

I think given that if you write a short account of your time in the fire brigade, what happened that day and a bit about the helicopter, that's completely acceptable. Its compelling and interesting.

Neu, would you be the moderator? Give one of the GB mods a ring and we'll see about setting it up.

Spoke to Pete alrady, I'll also fire you a PM in a couple of days.

I agree with hamm. Also count me in my great Uncle was onboard one of the B-29's with the Enola Gay that went to Heroshima. I have been wanting to build one of these models for several years. Also I have a great grandfather who drove one of the personel carriers from the ships to shore in Normandy. This is going to be a great permanent forum or GB.

Edited by Devilleader501
  • 1 month later...

Hoo boy!

I could build a lot of aircraft for this one... Great idea! I sorta like the idea of a no time limit GB (or maybe a long timeline). Real life is getting in the way of my modeling for the time being.

ALF

So the GB idea would be called the "living history group build." Basically it would involve participants who want to build models they have a personal connection to. So that could be you, a family member or a close friend's family or a veteran you've met that served on a certain aircraft, tank or ship. I'd like to keep it military only, partly because I think we might be going through some touchy subject matter.

However to distinguish this from other group builds, I'm going to make it a requirement that participants write maybe two to three paragraphs about their subject matter. Something like this would be a great start.

Hey Neu,

Was just reading your thread on a "Living History GB", thinking what a great idea, clicked on the link above and, lo and behold, found my build thread of my father-in-law's Sabre. I'm happy that you and others find this a worthy idea for a Group Build. I am also currently working on a Lancaster build of an aircraft that one of my father's friends was shot down in. I am giving the Lanc to my dad's friend when it is done so, as I am planning to do another for my own collection, perhaps I can be included in the GB. Count me in if that is allowed. :rolleyes:

BD

Edited by Big Daddy