Group build proposal

25 members have voted

1. 1. If you're interested in participating...

• ... add your vote here.

I'm sorta doing this samething right now, but in a different direction. I doing an M26 tank from the Korean War that a friend of mine was the TC on. Still rounding up the correct parts (Bob's coaching me thru this one as a labor of love). (actually I'm building two identical tanks) Bob was the guy they interviewed for the show Greatest Tank Battles.

gary

What about building a plane such as the A-6 that is in my avatar photo? It really isn't related to my family at all. But I have been researching the accident for years and have been to the site and would like to see these pilots live on if only in a few peoples memories.

Hi nerdling

Well based on the rules, technically it wouldn't be allowed. I would like there to be some sort of personal connection. However I know that you've done quite a bit of research on the aircraft and its crew, including traveling to their crash site. I think that makes it special case. If you could bring more research on the crew (without being too intrusive) and the flight, that would be acceptable... would that be possible?

I hope it doesn't seem contradictory, I guess its a bit more of a judgement call.

OK......stupid question time.....

Will the GB be limited to only aircraft?

Nope, not at all... its anything that you have a personal connection to, so ships and vehicles are acceptable.

I'm sorta doing this samething right now, but in a different direction. I doing an M26 tank from the Korean War that a friend of mine was the TC on. Still rounding up the correct parts (Bob's coaching me thru this one as a labor of love). (actually I'm building two identical tanks) Bob was the guy they interviewed for the show Greatest Tank Battles.

gary

I'd love to see this.

Edited by -Neu-
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well, the day is almost upon us... two more (or whenever the mods decide to upload it.) I'm pretty excited. I'll try to have some banners made up. IF you have some images that are specific to yours, post them here and I'll see what I can do.

This GB starts today. Just waiting for the mods to start the thread in the GB Forum. I've already started my first project for this build. It's a Hobbycraft 1/48 scale CF-100 Mk.4B done up in 440 Sqn markings. This build is dedicated to F/O Don Lamont. He and his wife Lise are close friends. Their daughter introduced me to my lovely wife. Don flew with 440 Sqn at Bagotville. Markings will be from Arrow Graphics and Leading Edge.

This GB starts today. Just waiting for the mods to start the thread in the GB Forum. I've already started my first project for this build. It's a Hobbycraft 1/48 scale CF-100 Mk.4B done up in 440 Sqn markings. This build is dedicated to F/O Don Lamont. He and his wife Lise are close friends. Their daughter introduced me to my lovely wife. Don flew with 440 Sqn at Bagotville. Markings will be from Arrow Graphics and Leading Edge.

That's excellent. I'm excited to see it!

This morning I got a lead on a vacuform AT-10 Wichita that would fit in perfectly for this GB. My subject, Martin flew some really obscure aircraft (model maker speaking) in some obscure places... including the Aeronca L-3, Beech AT-10 and the Douglas RB-26C. I don't have any direct photos of his aircraft so I'm trying to piece together what I can.

Just waiting on the GB to begin. :whistle:

What Big Daddy said. I started my build for this GB on 01 August. Still waiting for the mods to add this thread, and the 'Simpler Times' thread to the GB Forum. As the thread hasn't been started in the GB forum, I've added my build to the 'In Progress Pics' in the Aircraft Modeling forum.

I bet my first build is done before the GB is up and running.

I'd be interested in this. My old man worked on comms for the Apollo missions. Bus as far as aircraft go I'm limited to the AV-8B, H-3, HH-60 and the F-5. My cousin is a Helo pilot but I don't care for him that much, kind of stuck on himself. As for the jets, those are the ones I have worked on. I'm the only one in my family that is into aircraft.

I'd be interested in this. My old man worked on comms for the Apollo missions. Bus as far as aircraft go I'm limited to the AV-8B, H-3, HH-60 and the F-5. My cousin is a Helo pilot but I don't care for him that much, kind of stuck on himself. As for the jets, those are the ones I have worked on. I'm the only one in my family that is into aircraft.

Actually any vehicle is acceptable, including tanks, trucks, ships and even rockets. So Apollo is by all means acceptable if you want to build it and share your father's story. The only requirement is that you talk a bit about what he did.

Just a bump for a bit of attention. We have four builds ongoing, and I know a few more people have indicated they will start in the next few days. Already there are some pretty interesting stories, so take a look if you're curious.

Edited by -Neu-