Group build proposal

25 members have voted

1. 1. If you're interested in participating...

• ... add your vote here.

Good to see the thread was found. Apart from the overly lengthy (1 year GB) it sounds like a great idea.

Some of us are thinking a August start for 6 months might work. If you needed longer then maybe a Living history GB pt 2 might be in order.

I hope this gets off the ground. If it does I'm in for sure, adn it'll be great motivation to build something I have been wanting to for a while. I found decals for one of my old squadrons, and they are from the time I was there, VFA-34, the Blue Blasters I normally only do props, but I've been wanting to make some hornets I've worked on. Here are some pictures of the real thing.

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

I took these while I was riding in the Omega Tanker going to a detachment in Fallon in '05, 4 of our birds flew in formation with us and tanked across the country, then they split off and headed to Fallon while we stopped for gas in Junction City Colorado, then we flew the rest of the way. Really cool flight, the let us sit in the cockpit to watch the tanking on the cameras, and I got to sit in the FE seat for landing in Fallon. The decals are from superscale I think, but they are correct, the names on the jet and everything, I'll build either Joker 400 or 401.

Good to see the thread was found. Apart from the overly lengthy (1 year GB) it sounds like a great idea.

Some of us are thinking a August start for 6 months might work. If you needed longer then maybe a Living history GB pt 2 might be in order.

1 year GB's seem to happening pretty often these days. Just off the top o' my head I can think of three, the Festival of Speed, Mustang, and B-17 GB's are/were all one year long. Of the 4, I'd say the Living History GB is the one that would need it most. There's likely to be more research required and a possibility of getting custom made decals done. Also consider the proposed 6 month build would span the holiday season when many of us will have restricted build time.

I would only join this GB if it were a year, just can't get my project done in 6 months.

My .02

Edited by blunce

1 year GB's seem to happening pretty often these days. Just off the top o' my head I can think of three, the Festival of Speed, Mustang, and B-17 GB's are/were all one year long. Of the 4, I'd say the Living History GB is the one that would need it most. There's likely to be more research required and a possibility of getting custom made decals done. Also consider the proposed 6 month build would span the holiday season when many of us will have restricted build time.

I agree. This Build might be a bit more involved...that, plus I am a really slow builder!

Richard

This is a great idea...he's not a family member, but I'd like to do a build of Col. Fred Cherrys' Thud as he is a hero of mine, but I would need a lot of time to get the specifics on his aircraft, such as serial number, paint scheme at that time and other stuff unique to the Thud he was shot down in. Until wars end he was at the infamous Hanoi Hilton.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

This is a great idea...he's not a family member, but I'd like to do a build of Col. Fred Cherrys' Thud as he is a hero of mine, but I would need a lot of time to get the specifics on his aircraft, such as serial number, paint scheme at that time and other stuff unique to the Thud he was shot down in. Until wars end he was at the infamous Hanoi Hilton.

I think the idea of this GB is a personal connection. Not necessarily a family member, but someone you know, met, or of course a family member. I'm not the mod, but that's what I gather the theme of this GB is. I'm not sure one's hero falls under the guidelines. I'm sure -Neu- can confirm-deny.

Well, I think the gb mods are so far on board. Neu is the mod for this specific GB right?

When it starts up I think I might do a CH-145 I was strapped into over the Ottawa River during casulity loading drills with 427 squadron. Wish I had a photo to confirm 100% the door number. Maybe the CH-145 which caused me to tackle the area surgeon when he was about to walk into the rotor ARC. That little action moved me up to Master Corporal a little ahead of schedule. (like about 2 weeks)

Neu contacted me to help out which I will gladly do. I also suggest though to seriously consider making this a permanent GB or forum thread. Maybe get Sbarcs take on it? With every new member who joins could be another new story or two.

As blunce said I'd like there to be a personal connection, however If you'd met him or know him (like a neighbour) and that connection had a real impression... that's acceptable. My builds are of my closest friend's grandfather, and my SO's grandmother (well I guess the latter is family.)

I think one of the interesting things I've realized is that once you scratch beneath the surface, you find that there are so many stories around. People have a relative or personal connection with some part of history.

Wasn't someone making a kit of a LET 410?

Gavia makes 1:72 kit though it comes only with 3 bladed props and without nose mounted landing lights. There is a Russian company that is about to release resin L410 in 1:48 but I'm not sure of its current status

I also suggest though to seriously consider making this a permanent GB or forum thread. Maybe get Sbarcs take on it? With every new member who joins could be another new story or two.

Exactly! As a matter of fact, that is why I started modelling again (and joined ARC). I expect many new members join for the same reason. :)

• 1 month later...

So its semi-official, this GB will start on August 1st and run for eight months. So time to prepare for this GB! If anyone has any ideas about a good custom decal manufacturers to approach, would you mind sending me a note?

I'm hoping to build a few kits.

The first might be an A-26 and an RB-26 from Lt. Martin H's service over Italy and Korea. He's my close friend's grandfather who flew medium bombers in WWII and over Korea. I might also extend this into building an A-20 for one of his squadron mates in Italy, who really helped me research his history and I regularly converse with. He's got no idea I'm doing this, so it might be a nice surprise.

Next my sister in law's father served with the IDF during Yom Kippur War. She approached him so he's onboard... I just need to sit down with him and do some research.

I've got one or two other ideas, but I need to flesh them out a bit before I commit.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the idea!

I'd be in if this premise would count: I flew in a 407 Sqn Aurora back when I was in Air Cadets. If that'd be a go, I'd build one in 1/144. I've already done a 407 Sqn CP-140 in white in 1/72, but the one I flew in was grey. Only trouble is: I have NO clue what number it was, and I have no idea how I could even find out...

just have to pick one. Same problem I have with the CH-135 I plan on doing. Pretty sure on the last digit being a "5". Therefore I figure have a 1 in 5 chance of getting the number right.

I don't think we should be picky about getting the precise serial numbers right.... for one of my proposed builds I've narrowed it down to one of five aircraft and I really doubt I'm ever going to figure out which one. So close is good enough.

Some times ya can't see the forest for the trees, I'm locked in on one thought and was missing the overall general idea....I'm in on this one by way of my own time in the USAF :D :woot.gif: . Look out world (ARC) it's time for another Phantom build :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Edited by #1 Greywolf
  • 1 month later...

So just a reminder you've got just over two months.

I've been doing some more research and purchasing some kits. I've been collecting photos of B-26s from the AAF training unit at Dodge City where Martin was trained to fly twin engined bombers.

Dcaaf-b-26-formation-over-kansas.jpg

(photo courtesy of Wikipedia)

So I picked up a 1/72 Hasegawa B-26. I've already got an Italeri Korean War A-26... and I'll probably pick up the italian war version, since its got the right squadron decals in the box. I'll post a bit more later.

• 3 weeks later...

What about building a plane such as the A-6 that is in my avatar photo? It really isn't related to my family at all. But I have been researching the accident for years and have been to the site and would like to see these pilots live on if only in a few peoples memories.

This is such a good idea it almost deserves its own permanent forum. Forget a time restricted GB lets mak this part of the site. Think of the history!

I absolutely agree with you BIG, This would be great, I personally have a couple of projects either started or in the planning stages, that would fit right in, and if it was a permanent section, I have a few already built models that fall into this category. Either way, count me in!!!! :woot.gif: