Looking very good, Seb. So, does everyone prime before painting? I am getting close to paint on my F-86 build and have never used an airbrush before. What do you use as a primer? Can I paint without priming? Thanks for any guidance here.

Don aka BD

Hi,

Yes, looks great, Sebastijan.

Very impressive HUD in 1/72. :thumbsup:

Big Daddy,

I do like to use a primer coating. Not only does it show small defects much better than when you look at "naked plastic", it gives the top colour a better chance to sttle down well and evenly.

Lots of things can be used as a primer, I see that Sebastijan uses thinned down "Mr Surfacer" which I haven't done yet.

There are several dedicated primers, but I like simple Tamiya XF-66 myself.

Cheers, Stefan.

thanks guys

I use Mr Surfacer just for filling small gaps and seams (and as photogaphic stand :D). I wanted to use Alclad Grey primer with this one but since my incident with the airbrush, I had to revert to Tamiya's Grey fine primer in a rattlecan. If sprayed from the distance it gives good results and nice finish.

Thanks C!

Listening to advices from Chuck and Neu I've sprayed Futured over her today. I always had problems applying it with airbrush but I guess I nailed it this time. This is the result after 3 coats. I wish I had a darker background at hand so the reflections of the gloss coat would be better seen.

15s.jpg

I was never able to achieve that perfect gloss finish. I needed about 7 airbrushed coats to achieve a good enough surface but it was still more satin than gloss.

So I got suggestion from Neu to put some dishwashing detergent into the Future and just mist the first coat from around 30cm. I then followed with Chuck's advice on sanding the first coat of Future with #2000 sandpaper, followed by a heavier Future coat which I then oversprayed with Windex to level the Future. Another Future/Windex coat gave this result, though the surface was already glossy enough for decals after the second coat.

decals applied. As you may know Twobobs didn't print enough yellow honeycomb NO STEP stencils so I am now putting this build on hold until I get some decals. If anyone has extra in their spares box, I'd be more than thankful for them. I promise they'll get a warm and happy new home :D I'd need 9 or 11 of them.

16s.jpg

17s.jpg

That's looking great, Seb! Is the canopy glued on or just temporarily attached? I am getting close to paint on my Sabre build and, since the finished product will have an open canopy, I am wondering how people temporarily affix them.

BD

• 1 month later...

Looks good Sebastijan,

Curious as to what the insides or your intakes look like. I haven't built one of these by Hasegawa yet but would like to see how the ramps are. Not sure if they are any different than my Monogram kits but would like to see the way they are positioned.