Mr. Dissolved Putty

I just want to take a minute and praise Mr. Dissolved Putty. I know it's been around for a while, but I just got my first jar of it a few months ago, and this stuff is amazing. Nothing I've used is better for filling seam lines, ejector pin marks, etc. it dries fast, sands great, and is easy to scribe over. I'm re-scribing a kit right now, and I had a panel with some rivets inside the panel. I misplaced one of the rivets, and I was able to place a drop on the rivet, sand, and correct the rivet all within a few hours. If you haven't tried it yet, pick some up and see what you think.

Happy Modeling!

I am huge fan of it too and agree with most of your points, with exception of scribing. I find it much softer than the plastic around so if your line crosses from plastic over the area where Mr. Dissolved Putty is, it is very hard to keep it the same depth because scriber/needle tend "drop into" it. But other than that for most applications it is superior to any other filler.

I've been using it for the past year or so, and it is indeed a great product. It does start to thicken and dry up after a while though, has anybody successfully added some more thinner to Mr. Dissolved Putty to restore the viscidity?

I've been using it for the past year or so, and it is indeed a great product. It does start to thicken and dry up after a while though, has anybody successfully added some more thinner to Mr. Dissolved Putty to restore the viscidity?

The guys at my LHS say you can add regular lacquer thinner to thin it out but I've never tried it.

Great stuff, that Mr. Dissolved Putty.

I've done it with Tamiya brand lacquer thinner and it works. Only thing I hate are Gunze's bottle seals as I had the last of a bottle of Mr. Dissolved Putty dry out on me and a bottle of their thinner evaporate (and I had the lids on tight. So next time I crack open my jar of the stuff, I am going to try coating the edges of the lid with some vasoline (or use some saran wrap) to see if that will stop it from air drying out while in storage.

Edited by Jay Chladek
  • 2 months later...

I've read that you can wipe off excess Mr Dissolved Putty with a Q-Tip soaked in 91% isopropyl alcohol if you wait a few minutes but all I get is a gummy mess and the occasional removal of too much material (which leads to seams needing refilling).

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to apply MDP and smooth out excess while it's still drying? I use a cheap nylon-bristled brush to run a bead of MDP along my seam. After five minutes the material is firm to the touch. Am I just waiting too long?

I use Halford's cellulose thinner to thin this stuff, I also use cheapest Nail Polish Remover (with Acetone) instead of IPA (IsoPropyl Alcohol, not India Pale Ale) to remove excess. Works like magic!

I've read that you can wipe off excess Mr Dissolved Putty with a Q-Tip soaked in 91% isopropyl alcohol if you wait a few minutes but all I get is a gummy mess and the occasional removal of too much material (which leads to seams needing refilling).

I too am having this problem...except I did it with 70% isopropyl alcohol. I was wondering if I needed to get 91% IA but judging by your results, that may not work either :(

What's really the difference between the dissolved putty and, say, Mr. Surfacer 500? Just curious as I was thinking to pick one up.

I was wondering that too. I'm not real impressed with Mr. Surfacer. It shrinks like crazy and seems to stick everywhere but in the depression that I'm trying to fill.

For the price doesn't seem to do anything that Acryl Blue doesn't do cheaper.

I was wondering that too. I'm not real impressed with Mr. Surfacer. It shrinks like crazy and seems to stick everywhere but in the depression that I'm trying to fill.

For the price doesn't seem to do anything that Acryl Blue doesn't do cheaper.

I agree completely about Mr. Surfacer. I now mainly use regular Tamiya grey putty and have just received Vallejo's new plastic putty that I'll be trying out soon.

Regarding Mr. Dissolved putty, I've read a review somewhere where it seems it isn't all that is cracked up to be (according to the reviewer). I'd still like to try it though.

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN

I too am having this problem...except I did it with 70% isopropyl alcohol. I was wondering if I needed to get 91% IA but judging by your results, that may not work either :(

I'd suggest using Mr. Color Leveling Thinner for wiping off the excess. I use it all the time to wipe off Mr. Surfacer. The Leveling thinner does not negatively impact the plastic.

Rob