Monogram A-6E TRAM 1/48

Wonderful!!!

Are you using Tamiyas light curing putty? I've tried it a couple of times, but it just won't get hard. What am I doing wrong??

Yes it's Tamiya LCP. I've never had a problem with it hardening up. As a matter of fact, i have to literally apply it in the dark as it tends to harden when i expose it to even small amounts of light. I've even cured it with a light bulb but direct strong sunlight for a minute or 2 seems to work best so i usually apply it during day time only. You also want to roughen up the surface a bit prior to application so it has something to bite into as i have had it flake off before when the surface is too smooth.

DSCN9241.jpg

This pic shows a few of the details on the left side including the open access panel for the engine. Although there is no actual engine on the left side, a few items visible thru the access panel will give the illusion there is actually one there.

Couple more pic of the left side. The pic showing the left intake from the inside also shows the small tube section glued to the back end of the intake trunk. This tube section has a few details on the side you can't see to simulate the left engine.

DSCN9219.jpg

DSCN9225.jpg

DSCN9224.jpg

Yes it will be shown open. Actually most of the work done for that area is almost complete, including the cage itself. What's left is some minor changes that the camera always shows up and weathering. I was not gonna detail the inside of the bay as you can hardly see it but I went for it anyway. As I had stated in an earlier post regarding the careful use of liquid cement, you can see how it deformed the lower fastener strip made of .005 syrene thats common to the EQ bay. Not sure yet if I will leave it alone or attempt to fix it.

Here is a what the interior fwd section of the r/s looks like. The vertical panel to the right represents the firewall between both engines. The thin plasticard at top represents the heat shields in the engine bay. You can also see some of the plastic used to box in the boarding ladder well.

DSCN9248.jpg

Here is the interior of the extensible equipment cage. Although you won't see the majority of this detail when the model is finished, i couldn't help but do it since i was putting so much other detail throughout the rest of the model. When i build, i usually keep accuracy a very high priority but in the case of the EQ cage, i knew i could cheat a little bit since you won't see most of it. Case in point is the roof of the EQ cage. If i remember correctly, this is part of a resin piece made by KMC for the fuselage section below the wing of an F-8 crusader. This might look familiar if you've been modeling for a while.

DSCN9247.jpg

DSCN9246.jpg

The arresting hook well still needs to be finished, along with the arresting hook itself. Due to trial fitting of the fuselage in that area, quite a few detail pieces have broken off from the well interior. Most of these pieces i still have but a few new ones still need to be made. You can also see the rough paint texture left by my airbrush. Seems like my airbrush doesn't like enamels as much as acrylics. Needless to say, it will get smoothed out and re-painted.

DSCN9244.jpg

DSCN9243.jpg

Edited by wardog

A lot more to do in this area but this is what it looks like with both fuselage halves taped together.

DSCN9250.jpg

Forward/lower section of the fuselage showing a few extra details inside the NLG well and the bottom of the engine.

DSCN9249.jpg

Edited by wardog

The extensible equipment cage got it's beginnings with the photo etch piece from the Eduard kit. The rest of the stuff is just bits and pieces i added to simulate what I've seen in pictures. This will probably be the last pic of fuselage related stuff for a while, or at least until i complete more.

DSCN9251.jpg

DSCN9253.jpg

DSCN9252.jpg