Monogram A-6E TRAM 1/48

I posted earlier that due to my lack of attention, white glue swirl marks were clearly visible under the semi-thick coat of primer I put down on the coaming. What I thought was gonna be an easy fix turned out to be quite the opposite as sanding the affected areas was leaving visible low areas all over. Rather than trying to level those areas with primer later, I decided to bite the bullet and remove some of the detail items so I could sand the affected areas as a whole and end up with better results in the end. This means I had to remake most of the pieces I had removed... :bandhead2:. Doing this also allowed me to re-do the two strips in plastic that were once made from Tamiya tape. After primer, the surface texture of the tape looked nothing like the plastic I used elsewhere. Below are some pics of the coaming after I re-did it and put a coat of primer on it.

DSCN8384_zpsyuja0znd.jpg

DSCN8392_zpsbdugtze1.jpg

DSCN8394_zpsy5kp20zn.jpg

Now that the coaming is finished, It's on to closing up the gaps on either side of the rear deck and adding some styrene details on top. I wasn't going to fill in the gaps as the plastic I was gonna put on top would cover them but after I test fit the pieces I made, it turned out some gaps would still be visible.

Below are a few pics of the area prior to paint. This time around I made sure I cleaned off all white glue :nanner:.

DSCN8397_zpsgwrce5pe.jpg

DSCN8396_zpsydtestvg.jpg

DSCN8402_zpskfkqy4cw.jpg

DSCN8399_zpsbhkjk20f.jpg

That's it for now.

E.

More super-exquisite work! A testament to what can be achieved with patience, precision and (a heavy dose of) talent.

Can I ask what gray primer you are using? You achieve such a nice satiny finish with it.

Regards,

Rich

This is about the most fantastic work I have ever seen in this scale. That plumbing in the cockpit and elsewhere is fantastic. It looks like it is 100% functional.

I have just a little suggestion. I saw the photos of the GBU you plan to hang onto the aircraft. (http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=243416&view=findpost&p=2589631) On the photo showing it from the back, the wash has highlighted the join between the two plastic halves. Given the care and attention to detail given elsewhere, you might want to look into that.

best regards

Erik G

Erik.....thanks for your post; I'm glad you like the work. Thanks also for pointing out the error on the GBU....I've been meaning to fix that for years but just haven't gotten around to it. I have a photo etch ring that is the perfect inner and outer diameter so ithat should take care of that problem. Thanks again for your post and please feel free to point out any errors as I'm sure I haven't spotted them all.

E.

Just incredable craftmanship, I'm blown away ! This build is amazing and every update keeps getting better and better. I'm really enjoying following along with this one and am looking forward to future progress reports.

Steve

Now that the coaming is finished, It's on to closing up the gaps on either side of the rear deck and adding some styrene details on top. I wasn't going to fill in the gaps as the plastic I was gonna put on top would cover them but after I test fit the pieces I made, it turned out some gaps would still be visible.

Below are a few pics of the area prior to paint. This time around I made sure I cleaned off all white glue :nanner:/>.

DSCN8397_zpsgwrce5pe.jpg

DSCN8396_zpsydtestvg.jpg

DSCN8402_zpskfkqy4cw.jpg

DSCN8399_zpsbhkjk20f.jpg

That's it for now.

E.

The only thing giving these photos away as a model are the bare and primed plastic. Just stunning.

Showed some of your progress pics to our 21yo daughter

Her first comment: "no way, those are pics of a real plane"

Her second comment: "gee that weathering is good" - seems she has learned something about model building over the years of living with my various obsessions :lol:

Thank you all for the positive replies, I'm glad the hard work is appreciated.

Chuck, when It's all said and done, yes, I'm glad I redid the IP shroud. It's not because the glue swirl marks were so prominent that you could see them from a mile away, in fact, after a coat of paint, Future, wash and flat coat, you probably wouldn't have been able to see them anyway. Rather, I redid it because I know myself and how anal I can be with this hobby and if I didn't fix it, it would have always bugged me to know I left something sub-standard. This hobby means something different to everybody and everybody models to satisfy their desire. I don't finish very many models due to my style of building and usually my intent is to never build a second model of the same type. That said, for me, my ultimate enjoyment from modeling comes from sitting back and looking at one of my finished builds once It's in a display case and knowing that I did the very best I could at the time. For that primary reason, I often redo things until I'm completely satisfied with my effort as I know I wont have another go at one.

Thommo, thanks for sharing with tour daughter, sounds like she has learned a thing or two.

Elmo

Elmo, now that you talk about finished models, is it possible to see some of your models? I mean, judging by this one, you must have some really nice ones on your display! I'd love to get a glimpse of them!

I often redo things until I'm completely satisfied with my effort as I know I wont have another go at one.

I should do that, but don't. Like you, I only build one of anything - building the same thing would bore me too much.

I was pleased to read that you sometimes have to re-do scratch-built bits 5 times. I think 3 times is my current limit however.

In summary, I lack your patience, even though my family say I'm too anal about my builds :whistle: On the other hand, our daughter commented this morning how she admired the amount of research I do, including with model planes. I wanted to show her your build to illustrate what a REAL aficionado can do with a model kit!

Brian, nice pics........thanks for posting. I see some differences so I have no choice but to scrap my IP shroud and start over, LOL, just kidding.

Thanks to everyone else that has posted. Kike, I'll definitely upload some pics of my F-8 and F-4 in the next few days. I have to take some pics first though but I should have them up by Saturday.

Thanks

Elmo

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Elmo,

Haven't been here in a while, somehow I knew I'd still find this one in progress! This looks so very cool with all the detail work! I'm hoping I get to see it for real sometime in the future!

Steven

Hey Elmo,

Haven't been here in a while, somehow I knew I'd still find this one in progress! This looks so very cool with all the detail work! I'm hoping I get to see it for real sometime in the future!

Steven

Hey Steve, looks like you had pulled another disappearing act as It's been a while. Oddly enough, a few days ago I was wondering what had happened to you. You guessed right, still building this beast....and if you were to check back in 5 years I'll probably still be building it....Thanks for checking and commenting though. I plan on taking the A-6 to the local model shows when It's done, assuming I'm not in a wheelchair by then.

Elmo

I was asked by Kike if I would upload a few pics of the few models I have finished. Unfortunately there are only 2 as I build slow and even though I'm not a fan of adding other builds to my current WIP, I decided to do so as I agreed I would to Kike. Not the best pictures as photography is not my forte but here are a few anyway of my F-4S and F-8J. The pics aren't very good and a lot of the weathering is washed out in the pics but whatever.

Hasegawa F-4S: Finished this kit back in 2004. Inspiration came from a "Cloud 9" photograph I had purchased back in the 80's. This particular jet was doing some time at Top Gun and had the kill markings applied to the left intake splitter plate. This jet was a slatted bird and also had the inboard leading edge flaps operable at the time. I decided to drop the ILEF, slotted the stabilizers and added the drag chute...... to me, these were the 3 most unique elements of this model.

DSCN8459_zpsfpj349qr.jpg

DSCN8461_zpsizem9ofi.jpg

DSCN8465_zpsysdq4wdm.jpg

DSCN8460_zps4svhrw1e.jpg

Hasegawa F-8J: Nothing out of the ordinary for this jet other than some resin items and some scratch building

DSCN8451_zpsazzhtaog.jpg

DSCN8439_zpsksxowwtu.jpg

DSCN8453_zpsosole0hc.jpg

Enjoy

Elmo

Holly crap!!

I'm glad I tried to "hijack" your own thread!! those models deserve a post dedicated to themselves! and a long photo session!!Great display of skills Elmo! thank you very much for showing those master pieces!!

Those models are inspiring and discouraging at the same time! still trying to hold on to the inspiring part tho hehehehe

Incredible Elmo, but I am not surprised. You are a true master modeler and your work is second to none. Those F-4S seats are particularly nice and sharp.

BTW, Since I do it myself all the time, I have no problem with other models being displayed within a build thread of another subject. Other models can sometimes display certain modeling techniques or the results of same and the end result makes the thread more interesting to review. In your case, it shows that your finished model will look as good on the outside as it now does on the inside.

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Simply amazing builds Elmo. I have to agree with Chuck, you are a master modeler and, those are masterpieces. I'm really looking forward to seeing your current masterpiece when it's completed.

Steve