Monogram A-6E TRAM 1/48

• 8 months later...

it's been a while since my last update as I have been concentrating on scribing what's left on the fuselage and wings. I decided not to post pics as the scribing came along due to the fact that scribing progress just isn't all that interesting. I'm posting some pics today because the scribing is almost done and to let folks out there know this build is still alive, however, moving slowly as is typical for me.

The pics today show the scribing on the left wing which, minus a few touch-ups required as revealed by the primer, is mostly done. The wing scribing took way longer than anticipated because I laid out the panel lines by hand to represent the composite wing which differs a bit from the metal wing configuration provided in the Monogram kit. Looking at the end result I can tell I miscalculated in some areas so It's nowhere near as accurate as what I was striving for. In hindsight, I probably should have just scribed over the raised lines on the kit and have called it a day.  Anyway, here are the pics and although I'm not including pics of the right wing, it's almost done too. Once the right wing is finished I'll focus on the windscreen and tail fuel dump and this thing just might be ready to paint.

5q40SgZyO-VKngzmKFwUQEZ_gRtZ_2KkO8qIOpyZ

dfrbNoUBsKkj6xTmhVio4DAvTrN0irNF7ZE8P2Nj

40ZcoR9K5OwBS2zkI12Zfk_zYChMIxMfqLuhd7UW

CDRXQ7yVEnQnvczOZwgdCWh7FSkU4IdLZ-3n1V6M

RfdnyjsdZkV1na3JAc421Z8XQi7C0ao7NG4K4LwB

_d1_Ljk5rdB9fd6is9v0auPQrZfasuocvjihsgk8

Thanks for looking.

-Elmo

Edited by wardog

Thanks for your comments guys and I apologize if you're having difficulties viewing the pics. I'm not sure why It's happening as I personally can see them just fine from my laptop and cell phone, with or without being logged into ARC. I'll try and find out if the problem is on my end or maybe something out of my control. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

-Elmo

Hello Elmo

It seems that you are posting them on your Google account, so you have to be logged in to see them, maybe some setting to make them public would work.

Thank you for sharing, your work amazes me.

Carlos

I transferred the photos I had uploaded to a new (shared) album within Google Photos hoping it would solve the viewing problem. I logged into ARC from my wife's phone and the pics were still not viewable. As an interim solution, I'm including the link to the album herein which should solve the problem. As I said before, the pics just show some completed scribing so nothing really all that exciting anyway.

Thanks

-Elmo

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RLtRUykCXcGDa0vj1

Extraordinarily fine work Elmo - the wing looks amazing. 

From the seamless blending of resin to styrene; to the resculpted DECM leading edge cuffs; to those razor sharp wing fences (have you cut your finger on ‘em yet?); to the ultra fine rivet and fastener detail...a real feast for the eyes!

Edited by RichB63

Thank you all for the kind comments, they're always appreciated. Although progress wise it doesn't seem like much, a lot of the small detail work is extremely time consuming as most of you know. In this particular case, getting the stall strip to look half way decent was the most difficult part of the wing due to the sharp leading edge all along while trying to keep the correct angle span-wise. I screwed it up many times and now most of the forward edge is made up of Tamiya Light Curing Putty.

Thanks again for looking!

-Elmo

I am amazed at the level of detail that you can do. And then I realized that every single line and detail on the kit was raised to start. Your scribing work is better than most manufacturers  injection molds. 

I am am blown away at your level of artistry and craftsmanship. You can never post enough pictures. We'll take everything you can share. 

Brian

10 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

I am amazed at the level of detail that you can do. And then I realized that every single line and detail on the kit was raised to start. Your scribing work is better than most manufacturers  injection molds. 

I am am blown away at your level of artistry and craftsmanship. You can never post enough pictures. We'll take everything you can share. 

Brian

Agree 110%.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Amazing work done Wardog...

Can you please explain how you do those rings on the tubing and the connectors, appearing so clear and well defined?

Ta!

Hello Ta,

I assume you're talking about the rings and connectors on the rear deck? If so, most are made of either plastic rod or hex shaped rod with a hole drilled through the center; see link below. I'll sometimes create a sleeve for a tube by drilling a hole through tubing that is larger than the original and slip fit it over. I've also used chrome colored tape cut into strips to represent clamps and at times, have used decals of the right color for the same purpose. If you don't have the right color decal, paint the decal while still on the sheet; works just as good.

If I didn't answer your question, let me know. Thanks for looking.

https://plastruct.com/page/1/?s=hex&post_type=product

-Elmo

Edited by wardog

Elmo, I think they'd rather hear about your incredible shrinking machine you've been using!

We still on for taking pictures when you complete this magnificent A-6E? Surely hope so!

Cheers my good man!

Larry

Larry,

I thought we both agreed not to bring up the shrinking gun topic again?

As far as pictures go, of course. However, we'll both be about 80 by the time It's done.

-Elmo