Monogram A-6E TRAM 1/48

I haven't checked this thread for ages but I'm glad I did now. It has all the things I like to see, such as gory detail, excellent workmanship and like all my builds, it's taking forever! :D

I'm not a big fan of the A-6, but this work is pulling me in. I took a bunch of detailed pics of one of these beasts at Nellis a few years ago, so if you want some reference pics, please drop me a PM.

USMC6094, PW, Cabo91, Cyrus and Chuck............thanks for your comments, It's always nice to get positive feedback from the pros, I certainly appreciate it.

Cabo91, I checked the web address on the drill case...www.BitGuy1.com. These drills are sold by multiple people so shop around and compare to the site Plastic Weapons included as well. The picture I included below shows the smallest drills I have, amongst others. The drills in the front with the pink sleeve are a #97 or.0059. That's just under 6 thou. in diameter making it less than half that of a #80. Another word of caution is that most of these tiny drills are made of carbide and not steel so they are very brittle. Any side to side movement while in the hole and they'll break. I've broken up to 3 drills in a matter of 10 minutes or so by not being careful. I also use my fingers to spin them as chucking them in my pin vice increases overall length and consequently wobble.

The other pics show the modified I/P coaming with the wrinkle effect removed and a different profile on top and side as evidence by the grafted plastic. The upper profile is not exactly accurate but I wanted to improve the overall visibility of the I/P so I changed it. I'm also using the Wolfpack I/P as the modification to the coaming made the Blackbox I/P not fit right. This combination is one I hadn't tried earlier but it looks like it might work.

DSCN9785.jpg

DSCN9786.jpg

DSCN9787.jpg

Edited by wardog

Been quietly watching this one wardog. That's what I would call a "Frankencockpit" :thumbsup:/>/> I love the documentation of every step, since that's how we learn all the 'good stuff'!

/Jesse

Thanks Jesse. By the time I'm done It'll definitely be a "Frankencockpit". Great thing about this site is we can all learn from each other regardless of your skill level.

everytime I go thru this thread I could swear I was looking at the real thing for the parts youve already painted , WOW

USMC6094, thanks again for your generous comments. I really wish I could have more pictures of painted parts but the detailing and difficulty of dealing with the rather crude fit of this kit is taking longer than I thought. I planned on uploading some nice pics of the cockpit over the holidays but it just became apparent that I'll be packing and moving rather than building so the build gets delayed once again.

Throwing these pics in as a farewell to modeling for this year. I will be moving soon and the hobby room is all cleaned out except for the work table and a couple models on top. The other pic shows an F-4S I finished back in 2003 after I got back into the hobby. Hoping to be back on the bench sometime in early February after I'm all settled in.

DSCN9788.jpg

DSCN9790.jpg

Edited by wardog

...The other pic shows an F-4S I finished back in 2003...

DSCN9790.jpg

:jaw-dropping:/> WOOOOOWWWWWWWW!That is a masterpiece! Is that the Hasegawa 1/48 kit? How did you make those slats??? Any more pics of them and the spoilers?

Cheers,

Alex

Edited by coneheadff

:jaw-dropping:/>/>/> WOOOOOWWWWWWWW!That is a masterpiece! Is that the Hasegawa 1/48 kit? How did you make those slats??? Any more pics of them and the spoilers?

Cheers,

Alex

coneheadff, you have a good eye. That is the Hasegawa 1/48th kit with an aftermarket slat set made by Paragon. Not sure how available that set might be these days but it was a nice set. Although you can't tell in the pic, the inboard leading edge flaps are also down. This was common on the F-4B, F-4D and early versions of the F-4S. I have quite a few pics of the spoiler area of this model I can send to your email that way I don't crowd this thread with pics of a different subject.

Edited by wardog

If you get a chance... a full 'walkaround' of that F-4 would be really nice to see.I'm curious as to how you did the deployed refueling probe on the Phantom.I want to do that myself on my Hasegawa kit.

I have to say also that I am a huge fan of the Intruder and that I,along with many others I'm sure,really appreciate you posting step-by-step pics of your incredible caftsmanship.Very,very inspiring!

Edited by Scot M

If you get a chance... a full 'walkaround' of that F-4 would be really nice to see.I'm curious as to how you did the deployed refueling probe on the Phantom.I want to do that myself on my Hasegawa kit.

I have to say also that I am a huge fan of the Intruder and that I,along with many others I'm sure,really appreciate you posting step-by-step pics of your incredible caftsmanship.Very,very inspiring!

Scot,

Thanks for the extremely kind words. I'm glad you're enjoying the pics even though I take long to build and I don't post pics that frequently.

The refueling probe for the F-4 came from the Hasegawa F-4S "Limited Edition" series that included white metal landing gear, refueling probe and ejection seats. It also included rubber tires and a photo etched fret. If I remember correctly, there might have been more than one limited edition version of their 48th scale phantoms. I had the 75th anniversary of naval aviation scheme which was painted in all blue with gold stripes and markings denoting the anniversary. I personally am not a huge fan of white metal so the only white metal parts I used on the jet were those peculiar to the probe.

As far as a walk-around for this build is concerned, I guess I could. That F-4 was finished in 2003 after a 15 year hiatus from modeling and I did not take any in-progress pics. That being said, a "completed" model walk-around is exactly what it would be. I'll post some pics when I find the flash card they're on. I'll also try and find a pic of the limited edition box top.

Thanks again

Scot,

I stand corrected. The actual name of the kit is the "HASEGAWA COLLECTORS' HI-GRADE 1/48 F-4S PHANTOM "DIAMOND JUBILEE". Below is a link that shows what I presume is the same kit but with a different paint scheme as well as all the extra goodies that make it a Hi-Grade kit. I also just realized there is no refueling probe in that kit. Since It's been a while since I put that model together I apparently have forgotten a few things. A thorough check of my memory indicated that the refueling probe actually came from the Hasegawa "BRITISH PHANTOM FGR.2[TRANSATLANTIC ALCOCK AND BROWN]kit. This is also a collectors' hi-grade series kit that includes all the other goodies as well(I think). The tip on the refueling probe was stolen from one of my Hasegawa A-4 kits.

I apologize for the confusion.....It's tough getting old!

http://hsfeatures.com/f4sda_1.htm

Edited by wardog

I posted some pics of the F-4 in the display section.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=258696&st=0&gopid=2453865entry2453865

Wow, that's a gorgeous Phantom :jaw-dropping:/> Please handle it with care during yer move.... When I made my move, I was sure to be the only one handling my models and modelling supplies :rolleyes:/>

Good Luck & see you soon

/Jesse

wardog I agree about the Monogram kit. My own recent experience with the Fujimi A and comapring it to the Monogram E have made a few areas stand out. The older kit actually goes together pretty painlessly though its not on the same detail level as the "E" by any stretch of the imagination. But still, your work on the "E" is a sight to behold and I enjoy every update you post.