The future of modelling books/magazines/articles

The future of modelling articles  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rather buy?

• A magazine like TMMI, MAI etc with different subjects but short articles? (average $6)
    • Books like "Aircraft modelling step by step" with more detailed articles (average $15)
    • One detailed article of a specific subject (build) with high-res photos (average $1)
    • I do not buy magazines/books/articles.

Changed the poll to one option. Thanks for the remarks!

The reason for this poll is: would there be any interest in an (IOS) app which provides the users with only one highly detailed article. For example, if you look at the different books like "Aircraft modelling step by step", you have highly detailed builds with very good photos and text but I still have to pay about $15. If I look at the internet, I usually find articles which are nicely done but lack good quality images. Therefor I personally would be interested in single articles (with a preview option of course) on my I - Pad. for $0,99 (even if I design and build the app myself as a developer :-) ).

Looking forward to your opinions.

Kind regards,

Laurens

Edited by LST01

What is the purpose of this poll? I can vote ALL the options. I buy both magazines and books and would like to try the one dollar article if they can be read before downloading.

The are many free, high quality build articles with high resolution pictures on the web currently. Some pay sites want $5 per article download and no preview. It was too much.

I could also vote all of the options, but I am more inclined to want a hard copy printed version of anything I have to pay money for. As pointed out, there is way to much free information available on the web for me to feel I have to pay for any articles. Also, I like to have the book/magazine at my disposal any time I want to access it. I don't like the web based stuff in that regard since website goes down or I lose my internet/power I have no access to the online stuff.

I'm old fashioned I guess, just like to have the book/magazine in my collection.

What is the purpose of this poll? I can vote ALL the options. I buy both magazines and books and would like to try the one dollar article if they can be read before downloading.

The are many free, high quality build articles with high resolution pictures on the web currently. Some pay sites want $5 per article download and no preview. It was too much.

I could also vote all of the options, but I am more inclined to want a hard copy printed version of anything I have to pay money for. As pointed out, there is way to much free information available on the web for me to feel I have to pay for any articles. Also, I like to have the book/magazine at my disposal any time I want to access it. I don't like the web based stuff in that regard since website goes down or I lose my internet/power I have no access to the online stuff.

I'm old fashioned I guess, just like to have the book/magazine in my collection.

Hello Kei and Jason,

changed the poll to one option. Thank you for the remarks. I'm currently doing the research if there is an interest in an app which provides the users with free articles once in a while and payed articles once in a while. I usually buy the magazines from Pocketmags and I have to say that I like them, but most of the time I only focus on some extensive (different) articles and not on the reviews/previews etc. The internet is a better source for that.

Cheers and thank you for your replay.

Laurens

I'd probably be interested in something like that. Most of the time I just look for info on the internet. But occasionally I'll buy a copy of FSM. Usually when I do that though, it's just for one particular article. So, when I do, I'm spending 5 or 6 bucks for an article.

My gripe there, is that since it is a paper magazine, they are limited on space (not their fault, I completely understand). The cool thing with your app articles is that you could include more pictures of steps since you aren't as limited on space.

I'm not sure how you could work it, but you might even get some of the modeling companies to supplement the income for the free articles with some small ads.

John

I'd like to get some of the modeling magazines but it seems they're either too expensive or not published often enough. At the show I went to a few months ago I was given a copy of Scale Auto and I'd love to get it but I'm not paying 26$ for 6 issues a year. Just doesn't seem worth it to me. The internet has probably killed a lot of publication as you can find almost anything for free on here.

I'd like to get some of the modeling magazines but it seems they're either too expensive or not published often enough. At the show I went to a few months ago I was given a copy of Scale Auto and I'd love to get it but I'm not paying 26$ for 6 issues a year. Just doesn't seem worth it to me. The internet has probably killed a lot of publication as you can find almost anything for free on here.

Bought one of those a few years ago for an article on how to wire engines. :)

John

Same here. I like to have it physically in my hand. I keep all my model and aircraft magazines so I can go back and look at them if I need to. I don't want to have to rely on an electronic device that can crash and lose all the info.

Designed for use on an I-pad or I-phone or I-pod. Apple's software is called IOS.

Then count me out. I only do Android devices. Not a big fan of Apple's stuff or the assumption that everyone has one. Edited by dmk0210

I buy Model Aircraft International, Air Modeller, Airfix Model World, and Military Illustrated Modeler on my i-pad. The magazines are also stored on a server that I can access with my desktop, which is nice, as I have a 23" flatscreen monitor. Makes viewing/reading much easier.

I also have a paper subscription to SAMI, and I buy each issue of FSM at the local hobby store (more as an excuse to go there once a month and chat with the owners).

I would buy electronic versions of the magazine-style publication. One benefit of a PDF would be the ability to mark it up online, without printing it. Very handy to take notes as you read.

:cheers:

Mike

Edited by mlicari

I buy Model Aircraft International, Air Modeller, Airfix Model World, and Military Illustrated Modeler on my i-pad. The magazines are also stored on a server that I can access with my desktop, which is nice, as I have a 23" flatscreen monitor. Makes viewing/reading much easier.

I also have a paper subscription to SAMI, and I buy each issue of FSM at the local hobby store (more as an excuse to go there once a month and chat with the owners).

I would buy electronic versions of the magazine-style publication. One benefit of a PDF would be the ability to mark it up online, without printing it. Very handy to take notes as you read.

:cheers:

Mike

I buy every issue of about 10 different modelling magazines. I own a tablet and a Kindle, but I'd rather cut off my hand than waste money buying and reading modelling magazines in electronic form.

When I can open a page and know it's correctly scaled, and use a pair of dividers to transfer dimensions to a model, and when I have the slightest confidence in the longevity of the medium, I *might* but probably won't bite. And if you think I'm a Luddite, think again. My job is data communications, and I've seen on a daily basis for 20 years how today's electronic format can be tomorrows inaccessible land fill. Meanwhile, I own 40 year old magazines with more accurate plans than any current magazine (with the possible exception of Windsock) bothers to provide.

So the answer is - I'd look at a free website, but *buy* modelling articles? Pfffttt...

(Added on edit)

None of the survey optons describes a half decent magazine, so my answer is "None of the above"

(\edit)

Shane

Edited by sweier

Awesome sig, Dave! :D Ain't 500px fun? :D Oh, and btw, thanks...was scrambling around trying to figure out what to do with my completely OUT-OF-DATE signature.

Anyways, my 0.02 cent (depreciation). I still buy books and magazines, sometimes it is easier to go grab a book or a magazine off the shelf rather than hunt around on a browser that will rarely get you the information you're looking for without a headache of entering sequential search terms that narrow your search down so that 5 hrs later you finally find whatever the hell it was you were looking for in the first place.

Edited by The_Animal

I still subscribe to Scale Auto Enthusiast (well, it just ran out, and I need to renew it soon) and I occasionally pick up FSM when there is something interesting in the issue. I have a boatload (I guess it should be attic load) of old magazines, reference materials, and the like, but when I start to build something, I find myself searching the web for information, rather than go digging through old books...