What's Your Take on Red Putty?

;) Putty and some of the other brands out there. I've also noted more and more comments about an inexpensive putty purchased at most auto parts stores. (Supposedly terrific.) TIA, Ivan. :D

Hey Ivan, here's my $.02 worth. Spot Glazing Compound is far superior to Squadron Putty, any time. A lot cheaper too! ;) You can pick it up at any auto parts house, in the body repair section. I've had my giant tube for years and not 1/2 way through it yet! :) Very little, if any, shrinkage to boot. :D Happy modeling, Jim monketdance4.gif

Hey Ivan,

I use the Testors Red Putty quite a bit and really like it much

better than Squadron Green or White. I have also used the auto

glazing putty with great success.

Jerry :)

:) Putty and some of the other brands out there. I've also noted more and more comments about an inexpensive putty purchased at most auto parts stores. (Supposedly terrific.) TIA, Ivan. ;)

That would probably be Bondo, which is exactly the same as Testors Red putty, except cheaper and in larger quantities. They're owned by the same parent corporation, so the Testors red putty is just re-packaged Bondo.

I personally avoid everything except CA and Mr. Surfacer. The only model I've used anything else on in recent memory was the Testors B-2.

I use the red automotive spot glazing putty. Great stuff!!! Squadron green does not even come close to the auto putty spot filler. The automotive stuff can be feathered to an edge so thin you can see through it (and no chipping)....try that with Squadron green. The automotive stuff doesn't shrink as far as I can tell. The automotive stuff is laquar based so it bonds excellently to plastic.

Buy the automotive putty.....you will not be disappointed.

I've been using the same tube since 1979. If it get a bit dry in the tube (if I accidentally leave the cap off).....I simply dropa few drops of laquer thinner in the opening to the tube and put the cap back on....a few hours later when I check it's as good as new. The nail polish trick (ARC Tools and Tips http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/tnt1...ding/tnt029.htm )works good on it as well.

Steve B

Guest topgun_fighter

the difference what i found is the automotive putty if for hard use... and the modeling putty is for statics models... this one never will be movoing like a car... caution!! whit the components... sometimes this can be make a "down" in ypur models... and nobody want to this happen... if i need to recomend a great putty

i will recomend the PPG yellow putty this one is used for the Stock cars o NASCAR...one of the compenet are plastic :)

Juan

I started using the 'bondo' spot&glaze stuff about 6 or 8 months ago and saw quite a difference compared to squadron green. Seemed smoother, easier to spread, dried quicker (in my opinion) and (like other said) is sandable down to an extremely thin layer. The NPR trick is awesome too!!

Murray