Trumpeter ALF Fire Truck

• 1 year later...

Wow, it's been awhile since I've posted anything on this build. I got tired of seeing it sit there with nothing else done on it so I decided to progress a little forward on it. One thing I wanted to add is the under the truck waterlines and to plumb up the exhaust to the engine. Nothing super accurate, just a good representation of what's actually there. So here is the work I've done on it so far. I put a cover on the turbo and made the line that goes to where the filter sits (which will be added later). From the back of this a line runs to the muffler and then I'll add the exhaust pipe that exits right in front of the right rear tires. The other line is loosely fit from the pump, runs over the area of the front wheel well and then will eventually make it's way to the line that sits on the front bumper. There is also a crude radiator and a line on the right side of the block. Another line will be on the left side as well.

DSC_0608_zps646e3ae5.jpg

DSC_0606_zps552a4a28.jpg

That's all the pics I have for now but should have some more soon. Hopefully sooner than the span between the last couple of post.

Thanks again for looking.

Bill

• 1 month later...

Another small update on this build. I'm getting closer to being able to close out the cab, I just have a few more details to add (belts, radios etc...) and I want to "skin" the inside since two of the doors will be open. there is a bit of thickness to the cab that the kit doesn't have so I'll be building that up with sheet styrene.

Also, I had these printed out. These are the SCBA's units that fit into the seats. I have added the harness but don't have pics. It's a pretty cool system where the fire fighter just sits in the seat and buckles the tank and harness on while in route. I have them installed but didn't get any pics yet of that either. I'll try to have some soon as I get more done.

The last two are just in primer for the pics.

IMAG0180_zps5386139a.jpg

IMAG0176_zps9a774602.jpg

IMAG0178_zps56cb4d4a.jpg

Thanks for checking it out. Comments, critiques and suggestions welcome.

Bill

Impressive work so far! I really like those air packs!

I've given some thought to building a fire truck model, but what I have in mind would be almost completely scratch built. A good friend is a chief w/ an FD in a small suburb of Austin, and I was thinking about building the ladder truck used in his dept.

Be careful of the windshields and side windows in the cab, they don't fit well and there is not much area for gluing. I started two of these a while back and had the same issue on both. If I build one again I will attached the window prior to painting the cab. My main gripe with the kit is there should be a lot more in chrome, there is a lot that isn't that requires painting or bare metal foil.

Good job on your kit so far!

Be careful of the windshields and side windows in the cab, they don't fit well and there is not much area for gluing. I started two of these a while back and had the same issue on both. If I build one again I will attached the window prior to painting the cab. My main gripe with the kit is there should be a lot more in chrome, there is a lot that isn't that requires painting or bare metal foil.

Good job on your kit so far!

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I haven't test fitted the windows yet but I can see where there may be some fit issues and unfortunately already painted most of the cab. Hopefully I can get them in with some Gator glue and all will be ok. As for the chrome, I actually feel some of the chrome in the kit is over the top. The wheels for instance on the trucks I've seen aren't chrome but rather polished aluminum so I'll probably strip them or use another set of rims from somewhere else. Same with tread plate on top of the bumper deck. The bumper itself is chrome, but the top should be stainless so I'm going to try to figure out how to work those two varied tones out.

Thanks again,

Bill

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I haven't test fitted the windows yet but I can see where there may be some fit issues and unfortunately already painted most of the cab. Hopefully I can get them in with some Gator glue and all will be ok. As for the chrome, I actually feel some of the chrome in the kit is over the top. The wheels for instance on the trucks I've seen aren't chrome but rather polished aluminum so I'll probably strip them or use another set of rims from somewhere else. Same with tread plate on top of the bumper deck. The bumper itself is chrome, but the top should be stainless so I'm going to try to figure out how to work those two varied tones out.

Thanks again,

Bill

I agree with you on the rims, I was going to make mine Chicago Fire Dept and had to strip and paint the rims red, easier said then done.

Here is another small update. I've installed the SCBA packs in the seats and added some simple belts. I'll probably add the tanks gauges on the belts and a few other details. I've also added a couple of radio mounts, with a few more in the works.

DSC_0701_zpsf6db28c6.jpg

DSC_0703_zpsb3c9ef1e.jpg

Thanks for checking it out. Critiques and suggestions are very welcome.

Bill

I have a question for anyone that might know. Upon studying photos of the real ALF Eagle, I noticed something that I believe is inaccurate about the kit (hard to believe right?) Since I've decided to tilt the cab, this may be an issue that I want to fix but I'm not sure A) if it's worth fixing or B)/> how to go about fixing it. I've enclosed some pics that illustrate the issue. Hopefully you guys may have ideas about what would need to be done or opinions about if I should even bother. I've asked this at the Scale Firehouse but haven't gotten an answer yet so figured I'd check here.

On the side of the cab above the wheel wells are some vents.

intakeventcab_zps569648b0.jpg

I believe (not positive) that the one on the right side of the cab corresponds to this hole inside the engine compartment

intakevent_zpse284e05a.jpg

And lines up with this intake on the turbo assembly of the engine. (Again just a guess, let me know if I'm wrong please)

TurboIntake_zps02b87148.jpg

On the kit though, there isn't enough room below the seats above the wheel wells to have that intake. (shown is the other side but they are identical)

Ventinternalcab_zps86a7c8c3.jpg

So my question is, what is wrong about the kit interior? Are the seats too low? Are they too close together? What does this area look like on the real interior? All the pics I've seen don't show the area below or behind the seats. Has anybody brought this up yet and come up with a fix?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

• 2 months later...

Good job so far. The area your talking about is an air box with a rubber seal on the inside of the engine bay to seal up againts the air filter housing on the inside of the cab the seat step should be a little taller especially there the rear seats are the drivers seat sits on an airride mount and the rear seats sit on the dog house also that little step on the sides should be filled in and gou ahaints the sides of the cab. I will try to post some photos for you for some reason cant get them to go from photobucket to here.

and if you want to dress up the pump panel.If you look at the row of 2" gauges they are different colors and look at the crosslay the gauge color matches to that color of hose but thats what this department does

2_0124.jpg

Edited by scottr5213
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks scott, I put this aside for a bit while I work on my NASA builds but I will get back to it before too long. I'll have to look deeper into the air box issue.

As for the pump panel, College Park's Eagle doesn't have the color coordinated gauges like that. There are some color coding on some of the handles so I may paint those appropriately but the gauges are all just polished surrounds.

Thanks for the pics, they do help out.

Bill