Build #2, 1/24 Galloping Ghost #177

Well, started the build of my 1/24 Airfix P-51D as the Galloping Ghost Race#177. Here are a few pics from what I got accomplished over the weekend. My skills are no where the caliber of the folks here, but there is a few scratch mods I figure I would try on this plane. I hope to give the wheel wells a better look with some structure in them, I hope to have the flaps down, and of course modifying the canopy and cockpit.

Here is the kit as compared to my first build of the Galloping Ghost in 1/32

IMAG0184.jpg

The engine nearly done

IMAG0227.jpg

Some of the modded cockpit

IMAG0233.jpg

My attempt at the instrument panel....not real great, but gets the point across

IMAG0232.jpg

Next is getting the fuselage halves together, and remove the dog house, and more work on the wheel wells and flaps....

Edited by xmh53wrench

Well a bit done the past few days. Reshaped the turtle deck, as I was not happy with it, and finished with the paint prep. More sanding and masked it all up to apply the silver metallic and a coat of clear.

IMAG0305.jpg

IMAG0312.jpg

Next up is the Matterhorn White on the flight surfaces.

• 4 weeks later...

xmh53wrench, you have inspired me to build a Galloping Ghost. I've got an Airfix kit in 1/72 scale thats doing nothing but collecting dust, so I decided to drag it out and cut on it a little bit. I used to assemble planes back in the 70's and haven't done it since. What did you use for the canopy? I was thinking of turning a P-51 canopy backwards trimming it and using filler. Also what did you use for the turtledeck? Thanks so much.

kbrackie, thanks, and Im glad its an inspiration. You got it, on my 1/32 thats exactly what I did, but I did manage to get lucky and gently heat the canopy and pinch it ever so slightly so it was a bit narrower, then the turtledeck was just formed out of flat styrene. On this build I actually used a 1/32 rear canopy turned around and was much happier with the results. Good luck with your build.

xmh53wrench, did you mix up the paint you used on the wings and fuselage? If so, what was the mix and what brand did you use?

I don't know if you are aware of this website but, they have over 300 pictures of the Galloping Ghost build. Some really good detail pics. Thanks so much again.

http://www.warbirdaeropress.com/NewGallery/GG2009-1/index.html

http://www.warbirdaeropress.com/NewGallery/GG2009-2/index.html

kbrackie: The fuselage is just Testors spray "Diamond Dust". The wings, thanks to a very very helpful gentleman whos friend actually painted the aircraft, are "Matterhorn White" Sherwin Williams Jet Glow #CM057535 Enamel. And yes I know of those photo albums, they were extremely helpful. I also was privy to other photos and info here regarding my builds. Thanks for looking in, I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got the engine in....boy fit on this guy leaves alot to be desired, but pretty happy with the end result. I wish I knew more about P-51s and Merlins, wouldve loved to have detailed the engine compartment a bit more than I did, since this will be displayed with the engine cowlings off. But my "tennis balls" didnt turn out half bad....lol

IMAG0752.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...