Should I get a Mac???

See now, if you used a Windows PC, that would have been in large fonts ... :whistle:

Gregg

LOL

hahahaha

Mac are just overpriced unless you really need a mac for specific software get a PC

Thinking about heading over to the dark side and getting a Mac before heading overseas. Is this a good or bad idea?

Darth Tater

Hell YES.

I spent 15 years working on PC's. Worked on Macs for 3 months and will never buy another PC for my personal use. Almost everything I've spent all those years complaining about with PC, works on Mac. They've got other problems, but they don't affect me.

Edited by redwoodmodels

If you want something that is very intuitive and just works, buy a Mac. Zero problems* with my Mac and it is 3.5 years old.

If you like computer gaming then by all means get a PC as the game choices for the Mac are dismal.

Nada, nothing, zip. No bs at all. I will never ever buy another PC product.

MACS are better and more user friendly with certain things such as video editing and other entertainment sorts of things.

I think you need to ponder what you plan to do and then pick your machine accordingly. Macs are btter at some things.

I've used my friends Mac and I hated it.....but that was simply because I'm acustomed to using the windows platform....I know where everything is. But I did have a teacher show me video editing on her Mac a few years back and it was a thing of beauty.......and much better than anything I've used on a PC.

As for viruses etc.....thw WIN 7 platform is quite secure.

As for viruses etc.....thw WIN 7 platform is quite secure.

Win 7, like all other Windows, sucks for viruses. Just had to toss a Win 7 machine because of a BIOS virus it got through some version of trojan.fakeAV. I'm wondering if a properly configured XP machine isn't more resistant than 7. For example, partition hd w/ C as small (70-80 Mb) dummy drive with windows directory filled with a few junk files, D as Win, E as data, with a good virus guard. That computer has been up and running with no major problems for 3 years. The new Win 7 box has been formatted twice in less than half as much time.

I don't think any mainstream computer beats Mac for virus protection. Linux is only better than Mac because both are Unix based and there are even fewer viruses out there for Linux to get.

Win 7, like all other Windows, sucks for viruses. Just had to toss a Win 7 machine because of a BIOS virus it got through some version of trojan.fakeAV. I'm wondering if a properly configured XP machine isn't more resistant than 7. For example, partition hd w/ C as small (70-80 Mb) dummy drive with windows directory filled with a few junk files, D as Win, E as data, with a good virus guard. That computer has been up and running with no major problems for 3 years. The new Win 7 box has been formatted twice in less than half as much time.

I don't think any mainstream computer beats Mac for virus protection. Linux is only better than Mac because both are Unix based and there are even fewer viruses out there for Linux to get.

Oh dear. The reason that Macs have less issues with viruses has nothing to do with any inherrent 'protection'. Rather, Macs represent about 10% of all desktop & laptop computers in the US (and less than 5% globally) - people who write viruses write them for Windows because it represents the largest user base, and the largest knowledge base of how the OS works. Trust me, if Apple were the biggest player in the desktop/laptop market we'd have people proclaiming how safe Windows is in comparrison.

It's a different story in the Smartphone and Tablet market. There are already viruses around for the (i)phone and (i)pad - and that will only increase as Apple's market share in those devices continues to climb.

The irony is that when the first really good virus hits the Mac, it'll spread much faster than it would in Windows because most Mac users completely ignore the security of their computer.

Vince

or just use the standard logic of a good free antivirus (eg avast) and a firewall (eg commodo) I haven't had a computer wrecking virus for the better part of 15 years!

oh and cutting back on the werez, torrents, desktop girls will help ;-)

if you like getting into nitty-gritty: Linux

Not entirely accurate anymore, as there are several linux distributions that are very newbie-friendly and are quicker and easier to set up than Windows.

Unless you specifically need some Mac-specific software, there is no need to waste the money on Apple's ridiculous prices.

And the best part is that there are options! As you get to learn your system, the options for customisation are limitless - you can tailor it to suit your needs exactly. You can't do this with Windows or Mac...

I've been a Mac user for over 20 years. I positively despise Windows and everything associated with it. Yes, Macs are a little more expensive, but I always liken it to the difference between a 1987 Yugo and a 2012 Lexus. You get what you pay for. Mac just plain works, period. No fiddling around, no C:/ anything. Drag, drop, click, works.

And you can run Windows as fast or faster on a new Mac as you can on any IBM machine if you really want to (but why would you?).

Forget about guys individually liking or disliking one platform or another. If you are a long time PC user, you'll have to relearn how to do many things on a Mac, even simple things like deleting instead of backspacing. You have to ask what you want it for and whether it's worth the trouble of relearning every thing. For specific things like graphic design or photo or video editing, they are great, but in my case for just emailing and browsing, it wasn't worth the learning curve. I tried a I am a spammer, please report this post. last year, but couldn't get used to Safari and ended up using Firefox for Mac, since I'm used to it on my PC. About the only thing I really liked was that it started up and shutdown much. much quicker than Windows 7. Plus, I disliked that their laptops just come with a DVD Superdrive and have no Blu-Ray option (because Apple would rather you buy movies from iTunes instead of watching Blu-Rays that you might already own). Love their phone and pods, and think their design style is great, but for me the relearning curve wasn't worth it for what I use a computer for.

As noted above, there is nothing inherently superior to Macs when it comes to virus protection. If you want to avoid viruses, keep your OS updated, get good protection (firewall, anti virus, etc) and be smart about where you go on the net and what you download. WIN7 is the first OS that I have truly liked. It's user friendly, trouble-free and I've enjoyed it from day 1.

To me, the decision boils down to how much disposable income you have and what applications you need to run on your machine. Make the decision based on your own particular needs. If you are into gaming, forget about a Mac though.

Good luck...

Darth,

I would say go for the Mac. What you trade off in initial higher cost and re-learning some different processes is offset by the overall simplicity of the interface in some regards. I'll say this about Mac. They know how to make a computer "fun" to use and they make photos, music, and e-mail a breeze. I can't say this about Windows. Also, Apple's customer service is far superior so if something does go sideways, making it right isn't nearly as painful as going through any of the variety of PC vendors. My wife had a brand new Dell laptop and nearly smashed it against a wall after 5-6 trips to Best Buy to update this or reset that or rework this in an effort to get our wedding pictures to open in one place and be able to open documents in different formats. She has dumped that Dell on our 4 year old and now has a 15 inch I am a spammer, please report this post. pro and loves it.

Oh and one more thing. If you still want to use PC/WIndows you can run Bootcamp/Parallels or other software so you can run both operating systems on one machine. I use this for the programs that are still "PC only" like Aces HIgh.

So the best of both worlds!

Edited by jotter

I've owned computers for over 30 years. Starting wit commodore 64, a schneider 8086 with a home converted harddisk of a whopping 5 Mb(that's right, Mb), and then onto IBM clones and all other stuff. In that list, there was one MAC. I didn't use it for long. It didn't have the availability of software the PC has, and that is still the same now. For someone like me, that is a bad thing.

For someone using basic computer programs, there's no doubt the fruity version is a very nice thing, no problems, out of the box, and on to the internet. And it stays that way, something that isn't so with PC's.

So it's a personal choice. Are you willing to fork out the extra dough for the reliability of the OS? Then by all means, go for it. Are you, like me, someone who likes to tinker with a computer, upgrade components as you want, then a home built PC is what you want.

As has been said, a big part of it will depend on what you want to use it for and what you're used to. Macs are every bit as capable as comparably equipped PCs, but the software selection is greater for Windows systems. That doesn't matter so long as the programs you want are available for a given platform, so if Macs have what you need, and you like them, then you should be fine. And of course there are some apps that are only made for Macs, so if you want/need those apps, then you need to go with a Mac.

I did see a comment about how Macs are a little more expensive than PCs, but I would do some direct cost comparisons before making a decision, if price is a factor. I recently looked up a Dell laptop that had equal or better hardware specs than a particular Mac model, and the Mac was literally twice the price.

Best comment I ever heard on the subject: "I just want to buy a computer, not be part of a social movement."

I find the marketing for Macs to be very Mad Men: Don't talk about the product or what it does, talk about how it makes you feel, how it empowers you, how it will change your life.

I have done several tests with the my PCs, the my purpose was/is of to test all the operating systems available to the public for to see how they are.

miei%202%20pc.jpg

In the beginning I have installed on the my old ASUS G-2 the IATKOS Mac

iatkos-mio-2012-1342.JPG

(IATKOS is an "original" Mac OS hacked/modified in the way of to be installed on the regular Intel PC not Mac):

asusg2maciatkos.jpg

Satisfied by this tests, having had the possibility of to briefly test the Mac OS, I decided of to purchase an Used Mac on Ebay:

mac%20mini%20mio%20appena%20arrivato-0243.JPG

But not satisfied by this, I have installed on the "mule pc" a selection of operating Systems:

mieidischi.JPG

On the mule pc there are now:

Windows XP

Windows 7

and the NEW HORRIBLE Windows 8:

win8.mio.JPG

but I have installed on the same pc also the MANDRIVA LINUX:

linux-mandriva-mio.JPG

and in the past I did tested also the popular LINUX UBUNTU.

but I was not satisfied so was able enough to install & test the IATKOS MAC OSX on a VIRTUAL machine on WINDOWS 7:

installaz-mac-virtual-pc.jpg

Practically, every day, when I switch on the PCs, I launch in air a coin for to decide which operating system to use today.

But Honestly at the end I fall every time to use WINDOWS 7.

The Mac is fine but if You have used as me for decades the Windows PCs is REALLY HARD to switch completely to the Mac.

There as some things that in the Mac works differnts from Windows.

When I use the Windows OS I do EVERYTHING NATURALLY: I say this because using the Windows I have not to think before what button I have to press to obtain certain results.

Using the Mac Os I must to think BEFORE what to do because certain commands on the Mac are differents.

By comparision, I feel more comfortable using the LINUX Mandriva because the interface have some points more near to the old Windows than the Mac Os.

But the true reason that force me to use and not to let go the Windows 7 is the BUNCH OF LITTLE UTILITIES (some of them FREE) that are NOT available for Mac o Linux.

I do photos using the my digital camera but when it's time to import them on the Pc I feel more comfortable and a lot easier to use Win 7 and XP.

I need to crop and resize the images... On Windows I do use FASTONE IMAGE VIEWER, with it I do all.

But Fastone is not available for Mac and Linux.

I have the images, I need to put them on Internet: before of to do this I reduce in size the images using the program RIOT.

Easy... but it's not available on Mac And Linux.

Anothere example: I download lot of items: PDF, Images, etc.

Using Windows XP and SEVEN I do use by many years the utility ORBIT Downloader.

Mac has some programs similar to Orbit, I test them, not all, but near. Not one of the tested utilities have all the useful features of ORBIT.

And this is a big trouble.

Consider that if you are a Microsoft OFFICE user you can use the MAC version of Office but FORGET to use MS ACCESS.... it's not present in the Mac version!!!!

They (APPLE) suggest you of to install a copy of Windows XP or Win 7 at the side of the Mac OS using the Apple utility BOOTCAMP.

I do this, but the VIRTUAL MACHINE created with Bootcamp is not switchable.

So I have installed on the my MAC the program PARALLELS DESKTOP: it has permit me of to install INSIDE the Mac of a running XP environment.

Running, yes, but with some limitations. Too much for the my tastes.

At the end I say again and again: if you are a POWER USER to replace Windows with Mac or LINUX is NOT POSSIBLE.

If instead you use the pc only to surf on the WEB and for to write a letter one time at month you can switch from Windows to Mac or Linux.

But be EVER prepared to suffer a lot because of the learning time for to learn the new OS's features.

PS: Windows users...

Be prepared for the storm.

If the new Windows 8 will be put in production as it's now be prepared at the WORST.

Windows 8 FOR ME is too much DEMENTIAL.