Knocked out and abandoned AT-ST Chicken Walkers COMPLETED

Been a while, but thought i would do a scenario with two knocked out and abandoned walkers, this is the first, not bothered much about visible seams as it will have a net caught on the right side, but thought you might like a looksy, paint has taken about a day so far, still need to add a couple of bits, but bar the rail and damage, it is OOB.. trying to give it the hit in the engine compartment burnt and rusted from there fwds look....... if that makes sense.

ChickenWalker.jpg

Walker4.jpg

Walker3.jpg

Walker2.jpg

Sorry for the poor pictures, it is the MPC Snap together Jobbie i think.

:)

Edited by TonyT

Wow! great job Tony. I've always wanted to try something like this, an abandoned plane, car, space craft or something. Great job on the weathering and damage. What are your painting techniques you used? The rust is really really good. I look forward to the second one.

Bill

Wow! great job Tony. I've always wanted to try something like this, an abandoned plane, car, space craft or something. Great job on the weathering and damage. What are your painting techniques you used? The rust is really really good. I look forward to the second one.

Bill

Bill,

I sprayed it with rattlecan car red oxide primer, used a partial salt technique and top coated with rattlecan matt white, then stippled a bit of the Vallejo sand paste roughly on it, added a few brushed on watered down coats of black... dark green.. a rusty light brown colour and some orange, just worked them adding more paint, lightening some areas, darkening others and picking up with more colour for highlights.... all brushed on, all vallejo paints.. hacked a few holes here and there before painting and bent a few bits.

Chris,

Was thinking of two this one hit trying to cover the other which is damaged and lying on the ground.. Possibly a grass type base, but not really done many bases.

Edited by TonyT

G'Day TonyT. Concur - nice texture. Have you considered that:

1 - in RotJ, the AT-ST's seemed to fall when hit (top heavy?) so you may have to 'explain' in your dio why this hulk is still standing. Suggest that it got caught-up in a net of vines set by those pesky Ewoks, in the trees?

2 - what disabled it Something hit it (the top deck railing is bent). Did a 'grenade' explode inside, or did it take a hit?

However, always remember, it is YOUR dio.

Good luck & have fun with it. George, out......................

Thanks all.. Loggie, it now has a steel net on one side, if you look it is damaged and the rear left is slit open at the top corner, the other one will be down and this one standing over it trying to protect it netting partially disabling it until it to was hit and caught fire in the aft section... Or that is the plan :)

Edited by TonyT

Nice idea.

I may have missesd it, but what kit is this? Droop the guns down. Like when a loss of power would shut them down.

For the base, I'd add some vines growing up the legs. Or some logs.

-Jeff

Tony

:jaw-dropping:

EXCELLENT build..Love the rust and it is a FASCINATING model to look at...

Reminds ME of the robots from that movie set in South Africa..Forgot the name...was it District 9?

HOLMESY

Edited by HOLMES

Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone, second walker now in progress, it only seems like yesterday since I started it..... Ermmm IT WAS.... Assembled the walker, tore the roof open damaged it, scratch built the interior with that squared plasticard and a few 1/35th tank bit for detail of seat rails etc..added additional detail to base of foot and altered leg angles etc including bending a few bits and cutting the springs loose... Then i have begun the painting, base picture frame may be a bit on the small side, but have tried it for size before adding ground detail.

Walkerpair.jpg

Walkerpair1.jpg

Walkerpair2.jpg

Walkerpairint1.jpg

Walkerpairint-1.jpg

Edited by TonyT

Never done a base before, but I am game, ok using a picture frame, made a couple of tree stumps out of magic sculp... Another first, and stuck them to the picture frame glass when wet, painted them then mixed up a whole load of plaster of Paris, mixed in some brown acrylic paint and smeared it over the glass and around the stumps, taking care to pre mask the frame. To this I added some Mig weathering powder, sprinkled over it and stippled it into the surface with a toothbrush. Next I took some of that superb but expensive grass you can get and added that to the wet plaster, the lying down Walker was then slightly pushed into the surface to form an indentation and the same with the other... Various bits were painted and sprinkled around under the walker..... Still think it needs something, and I am pondering trying my hand at making some vines or ferns to lift the vegetation height a bit.... Comments suggestions welcome... Enjoying my first diorama. I knew I could do it... And I am so happy that my worries were in my eyes unfounded.

dio1.jpg

dio2.jpg

dio4.jpg

dio3.jpg

Edited by TonyT

holy cow! What a great idea and fantastic execution of it!

Thanks everyone, some updates,

Started to add some vegetation to the fallen walker and have used tea glued with PVA glue to add to the woodland flooring, have also added a bit more grass and some ivy type plants, I am ordering some of the paper type ones to see if they will look a little better, mine are made of magic sculp...

Hope you like

updatec1.jpg

updatec2.jpg

updatec3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This Dio is GREAT! Reminds me of this classic WWII pic

http://worldwartwozone.com/gallery.old/500/medium/3_T34s_piled_up_at_Lvov.jpg

Sorry for the long delay in updating, I have been waiting for some coloured card ivy amongst other things from China.

Ok the base has had some scatter added to simulate leaves as in a woodland you would get some, I have also added a lot of Ivy, the pictures do not do it justice as it curves and twists, they look a little flat on the photos, I may still need to tweak them slightly when everything is dry to give them a natural more chaotic look, also the depth of field makes it look as if sections are all in one place, but that is the camera picking up on several strands running all over the place and making them all look like one.........

Anyway onto the pictures, my first ever completed Diorama

walkerfinished1-1.jpg

walkerfinished-1.jpg

walkerfinished2.jpg

walkerfinished3-1.jpg

walkerfinished4-1.jpg

walkerfinishedcolour1.jpg