Hello fellas, new to this site, but started flying in 1958.

My question is, back in the 60s, I had a chance to buy an original J3 from the original owners. It had a feature I've never seen before or after. The exhaust stacks came off the engine upward out of the cowling and then curved back down to exit through the lower cowling. The two brothers,(original owners), said it was that way when they bought it new in 1938. Has anyone ever seen this setup on a Cub? I think it was a Lycoming. PJ

I'm not positive, but this J3 Pic appears to fit the basic description you gave. BTW Welcome to ARC some experts, some wannabes ala Moi, a few nutters, but then anyone who does models is halfway there already, and a whole bunch of helpful folks ready to do just that at any opportunity.

HTH

Edited by #1 Greywolf
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Greywolf, that is exactly as I remember the engine. I am surprised that any of those engines are still around. That's the first photo of one I've ever seen since I saw one in the real many years ago. Thanks again for clearing my mind! PJ