I watched the trailer...

I'm kinda not liking the "we need some pilots who will stick with the bombers, they're being cut to pieces" bit.

I thought the old strategy WAS sticking close to the bombers and it didn't work. I was under the impression that free hunting did much more to beat the Luftwaffe - go out there and bounce the Messerschmitts before they got NEAR the bombers.

That and where'd they find the WWI battleship to strafe? And P-51s can do a Cobra manouver and kill a 262?

I'll pass, or at least I'll wait until I can get it for a dollar from Redbox.

I watched the trailer...

I'm kinda not liking the "we need some pilots who will stick with the bombers, they're being cut to pieces" bit.

I thought the old strategy WAS sticking close to the bombers and it didn't work. I was under the impression that free hunting did much more to beat the Luftwaffe - go out there and bounce the Messerschmitts before they got NEAR the bombers.

That and where'd they find the WWI battleship to strafe? And P-51s can do a Cobra manouver and kill a 262?

I'll pass, or at least I'll wait until I can get it for a dollar from Redbox.

Isn't it ''We need some people who will put the bombers on top of themselves'' ? I can't remember.. but it was some sort of corny, and ridiculous line.

I expect a Hollywoood level of accuracy. :blink:

I hope the movie will be educational and inspiring to youngsters. :)

I just want to be entertained for 2 hours :cheers:

anything more out of a movie is asking a lot. :salute:

In the movies defense for the P-51 Mustangs they did get some input/help from Ed Shipley. Here is some of what Ed posted on Airshowbuzz.com

"ASB has been helping consult on the flying sequences with the Mustangs for over year.... its been very cool to see this movie come together. The flying is mostly CGI... I wasn't sure about how it would really come out at first... but George's team has nailed it. For the first time ever the epic scale of aerial combat has been captured. No one could ever find the real planes or money to do it in the lens... George has the technology and skill set to make it all from scratch....

End of the day.... it's a dog fighting movie.... over an hour of aerial combat.... it's off the hook."

"I've been looking at the Red Tail CGI for almost two years now. These guys are really driving for as much detail as they can... for example they were at the Gather of Mustangs and Legends taking photos of the tiny details of the Mustangs metal... which they then used to skin into the wire frames they built. ASB took two Mustangs up to Skywalker and attacked the ranch so their sound design folks could capture the noise the Stangs made. It goes on and on. As I watched the CGI come together... one of the things that I was quite taken back by was the scope of the number of aircraft in the air. Hundreds of them... these are not numbers that Lucas made up so he could make the movie bigger... it's how it really was. No one has been able to generate that number of planes in the air before. Additionally, because of the CGI they were able to place the camera (and audience) in places to watch the action where no one has ever been before.... which at times makes some of the shots overwhelming... but when was the last time anyone sat still at 20,000 feet and had a hundred B-17's come by while they were being attacked?

All I can tell you is that these guys have attacked the dogfight sequences with great effort and passion..."

"A quick little story about how the folks at Skywalker care about the detail in Red Tails.... so I'm up at the ranch and they take me down to George's private theater to look at some of the fighting sequences coming in. One of the shots shows a Red Tail Mustang zooming in very fast for a re-join on the wing of a B-17. He comes motoring in... then just kinda slows down real fast and falls into formation. So I casually mention that I've done rejoins with Mustangs on B-17's and there is no way you can charge in that fast without blowing past the 17. I said you need to show the Mustang drop 2 notches of flaps to slow it down... then suck them up when it gets on the wing.... So next time I'm up at the Ranch.... they show the same scene to me again... and I'll be damn if they didn't redo the shot with the Mustang dropping two notches of flaps to slow down.

That's what I like about these guys... the stories like that go on and on...

Shipley"