The Bear has landed

Today a great surprise waited for me at home: the Bear I was given during the December ARC raffle. A massive thanks to Mike C., lots of modelling happiness coming my way :)

Along with the kit (Trumpeter 1/72) came a LindenHill sheet for Ukrainian/Russian Bears as well as a copy of Combat Aircraft dedicated to this monster.

6721029985_bcb0e5b579_z.jpg

As I find NMF schemes quite boring on such a massive aircraft I might try a what-if camo scheme. This would be my firsr, as weel as my first props for the last 15 years at least: I might need quite a bit of advice.

Arnaud

As I find NMF schemes quite boring on such a massive aircraft I might try a what-if camo scheme.

A few Tu-95MS's have appeared in an all-grey paint scheme..... including 'Veliky Novgorod'...

day03_021.jpg

day03_041.jpg

day03_052.jpg

Although - with its multi-shaded NMF finish, I think it is quite colourful.....

tu-95ms_01.jpg

Have fun .... whatever you do... :thumbsup:

Ken

Thanks Ken ;)

I included the all grey in the "boring" section, I am actually thinking of something radically different, like an adversary Bear in splinter camo. What I am not decided about yet is blue or brown splinter :)

su27.jpg

Su35_709_05.jpg

All thoughts welcome!

Arnaud

tu-95ms_01.jpg

That's a fine looking Bear, Ken! It still boggles my mind that we have a superb injection molded Tu-95MS kit. In 1986 I'd have had you committed to a padded room for suggesting such a thing - especially if you'd said the kit would come from the PRC!! :)

Edited by Jennings

Here is a quick dry assembly, just to be sure this model is as enormous as I thought... Next to it is a 1/72 (same scale) Tomcat, not a particularly small aircraft on its own but definitely not in the same league!

6731571929_91fc1a60f1_z.jpg

Arnaud

• 4 weeks later...

The first thing I worked on was figuring out a way to have the possibility to disassemble the wings if needed. In order to achieve this I glued bits of aluminium pipe on the upper wings and bits of brass rod in the fuselage. It took a while to get the position right but not I can put the wings on and off in exactly the same position each time. The base is in thick plasticard, then the tube was glued with rapid epoxy and finally the whol assebly was strengthend with Milliput epoxy putty.

6864724525_39229c2049_z.jpg

This will later allow me to work on the fit without worrying too much about the next time I take them off. More on that later but here is how the top part of the wings look like:

6864722877_da3b85205c_z.jpg

I was quite worried about the general stiffness and strength of the wings so I added a few bits of plasticard here and there, similar to what I had seen on another Bear build. This will significantly increase the gluing surface:

6864724309_519d3e8874_z.jpg

Note that I glued the outer motors in position before the lower wing halves were in place, in order to optimize fit in the most visible places :) The link there is also strengthened with epoxy glue (Rapid Araldite)

Arnaud

Some progress this week, the wings are nearly done. It did take a while to get it right: if I have a piece of advice for those planning on building this kit it is DRY FIT! In particular the wing is too thin for the inner engines. I thus made it thicker from the inside by adding bits of plasticard until the thickness was right (See the white bits in the picture below). Tedious but it means much less sanding/rescribing on the inner engines at the end of the day :)

6895636429_8ccf14bd38_z.jpg

Hopefully the whole wings will be ready by the end of the week end :)

Arnaud

Edited by arnobiz
  • 2 months later...

Wow, can't believe I did not do anything in 2 months... This week end I had some time and made some progress on the cockpit. The kit stuff is extremely basic 9i.e. two seats and the instruments panel). I thus set to make it look a bit less empty: not much is visible once the canopy is in position but still engough to notice if you don't do anything...

Most documentation came from Scalemodels.ru, a fantastic website with loads of russian Walkarounds.

All white stuff is plasticard, the seats are slightly modified F-14A/B seats that will be sufficient for the purpose. The pilots seats as well as the ceiling are still missing.

7139527023_6c5a52f56d_z.jpg

7139527087_3885f0aa0c_z.jpg

Cheers,

Arnaud

Nice start, Arnaud! If you're going with a "what-if", I say go with the blue scheme and the Ukrainian markings.

Jason

Thanks Jason. My wife said the same for the scheme so blue flanker it shall be! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the finished cockpit. The pilots are made from bits of Revell's RAF set for the legs and ESCI's NATO set for the upper bodies and heads. I know they are wrong but I've decided to give myself a chance to have a completed build rather than an exact one ;) Plus it's a what if so anything can happen! :)

7280575056_91985e6227_z.jpg

7280574536_b009873e52_z.jpg

And the inner fuselage, with a few bits added to ease alignement as well as the curtains that hang behind the pilots seats

7280574872_7621a6beac_z.jpg

And what remains to be seen once assembled, not much (and that's with flash...) :( The canopy windows are tiny so even less will be visible once closed. Well, I'll know it's there...

7280749396_8ba301fef5_z.jpg

7280749588_cac923778d_z.jpg

Cheers,

Arnaud

What's a varigated camo?

The reason for the splinter scheme was that it looks pretty :) I was actually thinking of adding dayglo stripes, similar to the NB-52A.

Unfortunately I miss the skills to make a 3D representation of this on the computer, like the aircraft simulator guys often do. That would be awesome to get an idea of what it looks like before actually starting to spray because, as you said, it might look weird...

Arnaud

arnobiz,

Are those zip ties your using to hold the fusalage halves together? If so, what type?

I have a partialy assemled Bear that was given to me. I'm leaning towards disassembly and stripping the poorish paint job and re-building it, if I can find props for it that is.

Bad luck Duck, I hope you find a solution.

Now on for the tail. The kit parts are pretty basic although there is not much to see anyway. I simply removed the excess material that closes the rear window (no idea why Trumpeter closed it), see below: left the original part right the other side with the window open

7320388338_4d72ddabeb_z.jpg

I then added a bulkhead to hide the emptiness of the fuselage, now that the window in open it is visible :). In order to make it no too obvious I painted a transition from interior green to black with the airbrush: when the two halves are closed it is difficult to see that the bulkhead exists at all, the transition is quite natural.

7320388596_9cda829d7e_z.jpg

And finally this little guy is going to wave from the right (larger) window. I saw this in a Bear picture found on the web and I quite liked the idea.

7320388462_9e452ee49a_z.jpg

Cheers,

Arnaud