Hasegawa 1/48 F-4G Phantom II

Okey

Just finished my F-86F of the Norwegian Airforce. So it is time to do something different. For 20 years I have wanted to do this kit, so with no inspiration to finish my two remaining Israelis, I started in earnest...

DSC_0062.jpg

I should have enough work here...As I am not very familiar with resin and PE I figured this would be a great opportunity!

DSC_0002-3.jpg

I had some trouble fitting the pit vertically...but it all came toghether with a little violence...(and sanding)

DSC_0007-1.jpg

The cockpit sides

DSC_0020-1.jpg

The WSO panel

Great start. The Afterburner decals are awesome. They did a great job with that sheet.

You may want to check your refs for colors of the cockpit. Some areas and/or items you have painted black should be grey, such as the map case and lower half of the main instrument panel in the aft cockpit. You may also want to reposition the landing gear handle to the "down" position since the throttles are at idle.

Looking forward to watching this come together. It's always great to see an F-4 build!

Jake

DSC_0002-3.jpg

I had some trouble fitting the pit vertically...but it all came toghether with a little violence...(and sanding)

i think you have to cut the flat part behind the pit to get the aires resin to fit. Someone had the same problem with is resin a little while back! ARC member Phantom actually finished it

The pit looks amazing btw

Thank you all for watching! Jake, You are probably right... I have used many hours trying to find good references online, but still the Aires pit is not exact button by button...have tried to fix a few things like the undercarriage lever now. I am now gluing it into the plane as I have used almost three weeks on the pit alone. I will try to find some books to improve on my next Phantom pit..

Neo, after this picture i sanded the rear end of the pit just a little bit more, and then it fitted nicely!

So, let's get the lump into the fuuuuselage!!

FO

I have used many hours trying to find good references online, but still the Aires pit is not exact button by button... I will try to find some books to improve on my next Phantom pit..

I recommend this book.

The Modern Phantom Guide

It covers the F-4G extensively, including the cockpit. Yours looks great, though, don't get me wrong. You just need some color adjustments, is all. It looks like the Aires pit is only accurate for an early jet before the PUP of the late 1980s when ARN-101/DMAS was integrated into the F-4G fleet.

Jake

Edited by jmel

It will be very useful and no doubt good reading Jake!!

todays news:....cockpit is getting there...

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

Checking the exhaust I ran across a problem... it collides with the bottom plate and I had to cut away 13mm of plastic!

DSC_0038.jpg

But after removal of plastic....niiice

DSC_0039.jpg

FO

Thank you Scot!!

Here is where I am at...

I had the Quickboost seats for the Phantom, but since this build was planned so that I could get more training with PE I decided to give the Aires seats that accompanied the cockpit a try...

Photo-Etch is difficult! But I learned a lot and now have even more respect for the guys who expert in this media...WOW... I did nont exactly nail it but it will do...

seteto.jpg

seteforfra.jpg

pitmsete.jpg

The seats are not glued in yet, there is some locking handles that will come in...but not untill the masking tape will be off the pit! Now...time to gett the fuselage together...with the pit in it...pheeew

FO

Thank you guys!! It really makes it worth the effort when one gets such nice feedback!

Pester away Marlin!! I will gladely help as much as I can, I owe you at least TWO favours...

Cheers

FO

Now the cockpit is in the fuselage and the fuselage is safely glued together...

Time to start with the wings!!

This arrived in the mail!

pylons.jpg

for the inboard pylon Hasegawa has "kindly" made Anti-sway braces for us...

antiswayintack.jpg

But they do not fit the True Detail pylon..and is supposedly wrong in shape/size as well...bye bye!

antisway.jpg

I have seen many pictures of the Phantom with its aileron dropped...

f-4g_69-277_02.jpg

So I decided to try something similar...

aielerons.jpg

Tomorrow I will put PE in the main wheel bays!!

FO

I have put PE in the main bays...will take pictures later

Today Jakes book about the Phantom arrived.... I just have to say...Holy *bleep*!!

It is absolutely friggin fantatic..I recommend it VERY much!!!

FO

Hello Neo! Thanx for your kind words!

Yes In norway we do get bills even on saturdays....no rest for the wicked!!

I use the little "box-cutter" knife to cut back and forth for a long time, then on the "sides" of the aileron I use a razor saw to cut all the way in. Then i use the little knife again on the place where the razor-saw doesn't fit, until the piece falls off almost by itself... It takes a long time but it works!

I can take a picture of the razor saw if you are interested?

Cheers

FO

Edited by BK974

Today Jakes book about the Phantom arrived.... I just have to say...Holy *bleep*!!

It is absolutely friggin fantatic..I recommend it VERY much!!!

:D Glad you like it!

Jake

Really liking it Jake!! When will the book for the Warthog and the Strike Eagle be available again? I need MOOOOORE!!!! heheh

Thanks for your comment Phil, I aim to please...hehe here is some more photos!

Got the True Details intakes yesterday.... they would be easier to fit if the fuselage was not already glued together!! But after a few hours I made it.

fuselage.jpg

I have let the putty cure overnight and have been sanding away this morning...

DSC_0045.jpg

Fitting is not to bad I think... but will be rubbing some more and have to rescribe a few lines..

intake1.jpg

messed up the white paint due to the cold weather...did not notice really before I had glued them down. So...FOD covers it is...

DSC_0048-1.jpg

Some cute PE in the main bays, it does help a little..

FO