Hasegawa 1/48 F-4G Phantom II

Good morning Gents...

Been chipping away at the Phantom, will add pictures later today..

I have a Question...what kind of antennas is on the back of a bird from 1990 who hasnt got the "Doghouse" on the back?

DSC_0066.jpg

Afterburner shows them devoid of any antenna...but that does not seem to match the pictures I see on the net..in the book.. so I got a little doubtful..

Thanx for any help!

FO

Good morning Gents...

Been chipping away at the Phantom, will add pictures later today..

I have a Question...what kind of antennas is on the back of a bird from 1990 who hasnt got the "Doghouse" on the back?

DSC_0066.jpg

Afterburner shows them devoid of any antenna...but that does not seem to match the pictures I see on the net..in the book.. so I got a little doubtful..

Thanx for any help!

FO

You're right, they left the antennas off their drawings. On the right side of the upper fuselage, the rear antenna is the upper UHF radio antenna, and an antenna for the APR-47 system in front. On the top centerline between the two is the upper TACAN antenna. Here's a shot I took of a Spangdahlem Weasel that shows the placement.

69-0285May181984ZaragozaABScottWilson.jpg

And here's a shot I took of an F-4E that shows the UHF and TACAN antennas, the forward APR-47 antenna would be lined up with the UHF antenna:

68-0442Dec1985DecimommannuScottRWilson.jpg

ahh...thanx mate!! I have some antennas in PE so should be easy to install them when the whole thing comes together!

hings are going a bit slow..this week has been busy, but some progress!

wingson.jpg

Wings on, not much putty needed!

burner3.jpg

The "business end" is starting to come to life

Burner1.jpg

burner2.jpg

Lovey detailes in the Aires cans....

FO

I think painted walkways look much better than decals, too. Nice choice. You may want to consult your references, however, as there should not be those "cutouts" on the walkways on USAF Phantoms, especially the big on on the left side. The F-4G doesn't have the RAT door, so that section is covered with the non-skid coating like the rest of the walkway.

Jake

Fixed it...with a "little" masking and some bad words... Thank you Jake for keeping me straight here...

It was quite embarrasing to make that mistake when I have the Phantom Guide right here... :bandhead2:

But...Everything back on track...moving on!!

FO

Fixed it...with a "little" masking and some bad words... Thank you Jake for keeping me straight here...

It was quite embarrasing to make that mistake when I have the Phantom Guide right here... :bandhead2:

But...Everything back on track...moving on!!

FO

Here's a couple of photos I took of an F-4G from George AFB back in 1990 that might help you. I can't remember but I think these photos might be in Jake's book as well, but my copy is in the basement and I'm too lazy to go look just now. It seems some Hill Gray jets had darker walkways, so you shouldn't feel that you need to change the color of yours.

F-4GwingtipMarch1990McChordAFBScottRWilson.jpg

F-4GrightwingMarch1990McChordAFBScottRWilson.jpg

• 2 weeks later...