Trumpeter F7EB display aircraft

Righto.

So this is going to be a small review as well.

I got this model with a few others of the trumpeter/minihobby range - (F20, Jaguar, J8 etc) because it seemed interesting and I wanted to compare how it looked to the airfix version. In brief, it is better! But not as awesome as the new Eduard Mig21 combo is.

Righto. First thing was to clean it up, add lots of mr surfacer 1000 to it (still didn't quite come out as I wanted but I am still learning with it. I may get some Mr Putty (or something to try as well).

The gaps on this thing are HORRIBLE but then, so was some of my cleanup. Ah well. Still early days yet in my 'hobby career'.

There are some huge holes to hang some underwing tanks but because this aircraft isn't supposed to carry those tanks and just the centreline tank, they had to be filled.

More to come later.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah.. I do... I have really got to get around to uploading them :D

One thing - the undercarriage is awful!

I will be making the next two as wheels up.

I am happy and yet not with it at the same time.

Ah well.

Okay..

A few pics..

about 4-5gb worth..

ONLY JOKING!

a thousandth of that.. (phew)

f7eba.jpg

f7ebb.jpg

f7ebc.jpg

f7ebd.jpg

Alrighty.. well. Lots of gaps and massive canyon-like holes.

f7ebg.jpg

f7ebh.jpg

A brief contrast between this kit and an Airfix kit ... or an Academy kit - either way...the A & A kits were damn near identical. Oh yeah.. I used the Polish decals elsewhere :D

f7ebi.jpg

TADAH! Here is where they got used... a Dragon SU17 from the Su17/F14a mix kit. I binned the F14 (actually, it is a colour test-bed for the Trumptere F22 which I think I have some nice shiny silver/grey paint! =) But I modded the Su17/22 a bit (as you can see) and well, a brief write-up will be in my 144 thread later on. Colours are all Humbrol (guess the blue-grey number (except for the nav lights, those are Tamiya translucent)

f7ebj.jpg

f7ebk.jpg

Starting to get an idea of what the colours look like now. Some tidy-up to occur on the red.

White is Aerosol Tamiya white and the red is Humbrol 174 Signal Red ( BS 537) A tin of paint about.. 20years old

never mind.

What I hate about this kit - the size of the undercarriage! UGH. It will look stork-like. (hangs head)

Instructions are rather messed in that it requires you to rotate the radome/intake 10deg to the right yet the holes for the pitot unit are part of the main fuselage ffs! Sigh

Edited by Wege

I will take a photograph of the (in-progress )build of the other F7 next to the Eduard Mig21MF.. the quality is night/day or more like Beauty/Beast :D

edit- I am not going to enjoy the masking of the other one I am doing.. BUT it is for a worthy (group) build :)

Edited by Wege

Okay.. a mild update (with some images) but otherwise this is done. :)

fe7ebg.jpg

just SOME of the gaps that are in this thing.

fe7ebd.jpg

fe7ebe.jpg

fe7ebf.jpg

a comparison (brief) of the Eduard vs Minihobby parts.. (some of them at least)

Colours used are:

Tamiya Aerosol white

Humbrol Insignia Red

Neutral Grey (for the gear bays.. not strictly correct but meh!)

MM interior green (don't remember the number) for the antenna and intake shock cone.

I hated masking this.. and I think that I dislike masking the current model even more. >_<

fe7ebm.jpg

Comparison of undercarriage position between the minicraft/airfix model vs the MiniHobby version. Is this more for an 'undercarriage down in-flight' mode I wonder?

Edited by Wege
  • 2 weeks later...

To me the biggest grief is when it comes to masking... the nature of brush painting and the very very fine lines needed mostly means that a lip of some sort is left and I just (at this point in time) don't know what to do or use to remove the lip/raised edge.

Apart from that.. Cheers

Yes, I have still got the YF23 in reserve (i admit that it will not be as nice as a couple of the ones that I have seen here.. the paint I feel is too dark (Revell Gunship Grey) but it still is ok. I am currently finishing (for this build) another F7 and a F15A Tigermeet (for the USAFE build that they don't know about yet :P )and then I have an F16XL for the Texas build. :D