Future Floor Polish--Where is it?

Ace hardware has the stuff. Its still Future Floor Polish, but it has Pledge in big letters instead of Future...just look for the clear bottle of Pledge Future.

Edited by utley

I have an old bottle of Future that is turning yellow. Who still carries Future, and under what name? I looked at Target--they had some sort of Pledge that had an orange smell in a blue bottle. Is that the same thing?

It's the right stuff if it says "Pledge with future shine" and has a little swirly, atomic structure looking thing on the bottle.

http://www.meijer.com/s/pledge-premium-floor-finish-with-future-shine-2-bottles-27-oz-ea/_/R-117627

I would also say that unless the bottle you is really, really yellow, it should still be fine. Unless we're talking pee after drinking coffee all day yellow.

Edited by B-17 guy

If you're adventurous, or if you simply can't find Future/Pledge with Future Shine at a local retailer, other brands might do the trick. I've tried out Holloway House Quick Shine on a few practice projects, and it seems to be pretty much the same thing as Future. If it's a clear acrylic floor wax, I would think it should work just fine (though I'll stand corrected if anyone has any disaster stories!). Try it out on spare parts first, see what happens.

So i am looking to procure some floorpolish (cause that`s what it is) in the not to distant Future. I did come across some on-line, but was not sure about it being the new formula or what not...been hearing so much about this stuff ever since the turn of the millennium, but where i come from this stuff only adheres to the figments of my imagination. So my question is this: What is the general perception of "our" manufacturers on this Future/Johnsons Klear hype (if i may be so bold) going on here in plastic modelling land? And what is their take on this medium if any, or do they simply refrain from tending to it?

I mean going to the hardware store to get some floorpolish, "ahhh, you see i`m building this scale model" wouldn`t it be easier to have a product designed for the hobby, and not having to become addicted to a specific product that one day just may cease to excist, if not already?! Hopefully in the near Future, i will get my hands on some of this delicate floorwacks.

So my question is this: What is the general perception of "our" manufacturers on this Future/Johnsons Klear hype (if i may be so bold) going on here in plastic modelling land? And what is their take on this medium if any, or do they simply refrain from tending to it?

I mean going to the hardware store to get some floorpolish, "ahhh, you see i`m building this scale model" wouldn`t it be easier to have a product designed for the hobby, and not having to become addicted to a specific product that one day just may cease to excist, if not already?! Hopefully in the near Future, i will get my hands on some of this delicate floorwacks.

This comes from the manufacturer, via local phone call:

Answer to first question: They were surprised when I told them what I use it for (other than floors)/

Answer to second question: They have no plans to discontinue the product in the US. What happens elsewhere depends on the local government and sales volume. The fact is, it's a good product with a solid customer base. Of course, that could change.

As for your last question: How many products "designed for the hobby" have we seen disappear over the years? Too many to count. The scale modeling industry is tiny compared to the chemical products industry, and in particular the coatings industry, which is what we are really talking about. Scale modeling is a tiny market compared to any other coatings market. These boards are full of frantic posts asking what clear coatings are available that work reliablyâ€â€because their favorite is no longer made, or has been reformulated and no longer works as well.

Enter Future, a stable, environmentally friendly product with a broad market base. That means it's less likely to be reformulated or simply disappear as happens to so many scale modeling specific products do. If you compare prices, it's far more economical than any other clear coating you could use for our purposes.

Future is the only clear gloss I use, or intend to use. As for clear flats, they can be made from Future and a flatting pigment such as Tamiya Flat Base. I'm very glad of this, since Polly Scale has been reformulated and may follow their Military Colors line into oblivion.

Modeling specific product? You mean like Testors Model Master Acrylâ€â€inadequate but marketable? :gr_barf: (My opinions on the product line are no secret. YMMV)

This comes from the manufacturer, via local phone call:

Answer to first question: They were surprised when I told them what I use it for (other than floors)/

Answer to second question: They have no plans to discontinue the product in the US. What happens elsewhere depends on the local government and sales volume. The fact is, it's a good product with a solid customer base. Of course, that could change.

As for your last question: How many products "designed for the hobby" have we seen disappear over the years? Too many to count. The scale modeling industry is tiny compared to the chemical products industry, and in particular the coatings industry, which is what we are really talking about. Scale modeling is a tiny market compared to any other coatings market. These boards are full of frantic posts asking what clear coatings are available that work reliablyâ€â€because their favorite is no longer made, or has been reformulated and no longer works as well.

Enter Future, a stable, environmentally friendly product with a broad market base. That means it's less likely to be reformulated or simply disappear as happens to so many scale modeling specific products do. If you compare prices, it's far more economical than any other clear coating you could use for our purposes.

Future is the only clear gloss I use, or intend to use. As for clear flats, they can be made from Future and a flatting pigment such as Tamiya Flat Base. I'm very glad of this, since Polly Scale has been reformulated and may follow their Military Colors line into oblivion.

Modeling specific product? You mean like Testors Model Master Acrylâ€â€inadequate but marketable? :gr_barf: (My opinions on the product line are no secret. YMMV)

Im looking very much forward to getting hold of this stuff, because it really seems to be a nice addition to any modelers arsenal. I do however think it would have been alot easier to obtain this stuff had it been marketed as a plastic modelling product. How many modellers in how many countries are not able to get hold of this stuff because it is sold as a home improvement product in a limited number of countries...feeling me here?! just imagine being a plastic modeller and living in a country that does not carry this here wonderful product that you have heard so much about, and going about your business feeling there is something missing in your medieval modelling life. That`s how i feel, and it really sucks :(

This seems to come up a ton....why dont we have stickies about stuff like this and things like paint order (acrylic over enamel , enamel over lacquers). I dont get why there aren't any tool/paint related stickies in this subforum...

Edited by camaroz06

Humbrol is introducing a new product called "Clear", which is formulated to match the original Future/Klear. Should be available sometime Q1. It should be readily available through stores and online shops which stock the Airfix/Humbrol ranges.

http://www.airfix.com/humbrol-paints-and-accessories/accessories/finishing-products/ac7431-humbrol-clear-125ml-bottle/

For a guide about using and more important, get future in most of it's variations and suggestions for alternatives, go here:

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

To some it's the future bible.

About different formulas, well it could be because that some chemicals is not alloved in some countries and legal in other, so they have to change it.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this, I noticed that my wife picked up the wood floor version of this. I've used it only a couple of times so far, and haven't had any ill responses from it. Should I stop now before I coat the entire plane with it, or will it still work?

Humbrol is introducing a new product called "Clear", which is formulated to match the original Future/Klear. Should be available sometime Q1. It should be readily available through stores and online shops which stock the Airfix/Humbrol ranges.

http://www.airfix.com/humbrol-paints-and-accessories/accessories/finishing-products/ac7431-humbrol-clear-125ml-bottle/

What the ****. £4.99 for 125ml :jaw-dropping: My bottle of Klear was £4.50 for 500ml.

After reading this, I noticed that my wife picked up the wood floor version of this. I've used it only a couple of times so far, and haven't had any ill responses from it. Should I stop now before I coat the entire plane with it, or will it still work?

The version you have is formulated specifically for wood. They (SC Johnson) told me what the major difference was, but I've forgotten. I believe it's intended to penetrate and bond better to wood, but I think most of the change was in the solvent blend. That would make sense, as the original worked fairly well on wood.

It may not bond quite as well to plastic, shrink more, and have a tendency to yellow faster with exposure to UV. None of which is bad on a wood floor. For best results, I'd get the stuff formulated for synthetic surfaces, but there may be no practical difference for our purposes.