My trip to the Chattanooga Scale model Show

I was going to go to the show but I also decided to enter the contest with 3 of my latest works. I searched the web for the best way to transport the models to the show. I build with landing gear down and canopy's up so I was nervous about breaking something. I got a few ideas from fellow ARC members and went searching the house for a box. I tried a few but nothing seemed to work out. I decided that I had enough spare wood in the garage to build a box my self. I took the measurements and started building. This is what I came up with

1.JPG

I then went about cutting the foam out using foam that is used to fill the gaps in the sides of window unit air conditioners. I then used a hot glue gun to attach everything to a piece of white foam board.

2.JPG

I gave the box a coat of primer and the a nice flat green. A little extra foam in the bottom of the box for more padding. I then placed the foam board assembly and then the models in the box. This may seem over the top but the models made the 2 hour drive with any problems and that was the goal.

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

The registration was easy as I preregistered. When I got there the model tables were about a quarter filled. Setting the models up was easy enough and after that I started checking out the other models and the vendors.

6.JPG

24.JPG

There were lots of vendors there. I wonder how much money they actually make off of these shows. I do try to pick up some things to help support the modeling community. I did buy a P-47D in 1/72 scale and some decals for VA-203 that at one point stationed at NAS Atlanta. I did learn a lot from listening to the judges and other modelers looking and commenting on my models. I will have to say its a really good feeling when someone else in the hobby likes the model enough to take a picture. Most the comments where about a few visible seems and some paint over spray. They did like the paint work on the two seat A-10. The judges like the models enough to award the A-10 with a silver medal, the F-100D also got a silver medal and the F-105G got A bronze. Overall I really enjoyed the time spent and learned a lot. I'll be back next year.

Here are some pics of the models that caught my eye.

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

Edited by jezones

Mark

WELL DONE and CONGRATS on getting TWO Silver...and a BRONZE... :worship::worship::worship:

EXCELLENT Builds , No wonderr you won the placings.. :thumbsup2:

And those other Models are really nice too,Thanks for Sharing yoour Joy

and the photos of the Show with US.. :smiley-whacky084:

HOLMES :yahoo::yahoo:

Edited by HOLMES

Glad you had fun Mark. That is the beauty of contests. The awards can be cool IF you win them, but the best part is getting to meet other modelers face to face and interact. That is something you don't quite get from the web. And yes, for me a good thrill is when others take an interest in my work and shoot photos of it. That way if I don't win an award, I still know I connected with somebody on a personal level as he or she liked something about my model.

Besides, with the meticulous method by which you built that storage and transport case, your models HAD to be good enough to win SOMETHING. ;) Many of us (myself included) just look for a shipping container or box that is close enough in size and work from there

Edited by Jay Chladek

Besides, with the meticulous method by which you built that storage and transport case, your models HAD to be good enough to win SOMETHING. ;) Many of us (myself included) just look for a shipping container or box that is close enough in size and work from there

I think the box was better than the models themselves. I tend to do things over the top sometimes. At least now I have a sturdy box to carry models in for the next show.

I think the box was better than the models themselves. I tend to do things over the top sometimes. At least now I have a sturdy box to carry models in for the next show.

Looks like you could add a drop-in shelf in your box and double up on your models too :worship: .

Looks like you could add a drop-in shelf in your box and double up on your models too :worship: .

Only if the shelf anchors are really good. Otherwise if it shifts, half the models are going to go splat. Usually I don't trust shelves as gravity tends to have the final say (still, it could be done).