Revell launch tower kit

I sure wish they didn't cost so much. Always has been one of my favorite kits but I could never afford one, even on a good (pay)day. Someday, ho hum.

Anyone built one? I've never seen any pics of a built kit, just collectors selling on evil-bay.

I have one. It is not all that great. When built it looks like a launch tower, but it is a bit too short and I believe this is due to Revell scaling it to their already undersized launch pad display base. It can be made better, but you end up practically having to scratchbuild so many things in the process that about all you have left from the original kit is the rotating service structure (with modifications) and the swingarms (and even those need modifications depending on which era of shuttle flight you are representing as the tower was constantly evolving).

got one keep meaning to start it,theres so much aftermarket kit for it ,i wonderded if it was worth it or not.it is a big box to keep hanging round though,might make it febs task if nothing else crops up.the wife bought me a new airbrushing kit for chrimbo never used one before might be a good project for practising on,cheers don

Like Jay said, it's way undersized... at about 1/175, it's about 3in too short. It is also very simplified, I guess it had to be. It's missing the stairs that are a very prominent feature of the real thing, not to mention all the cable trays and piping.

That being said, it does provide a decent start if you are so inclined to modify it.

Perhaps Revell will reissue it, given the recent reissues. We can only hope...

Edited by indydog
  • 1 month later...

Revell emailed me back, after six weeks, and said they can't re-run the kit as they no longer have the molds. So anyone wanting one, like I did, will have to support the collectors market to get one. Won't be me.

Fwiw, I have a Revell launch tower kit that I bought on a whim back in 2005 after I watched Discovery launch in the July (remember that, Jay?).

I'll never build it so if anyone wants to make me an offer, go ahead. I do remember checking the parts at the time and I think there were one or two pieces of piping missing. I can check again one weekend when I'm back at my UK home (I live in Switzerland most of the time).

I've recently cleared out a load of my airliner kits and this kit could do with finding a good home, too.

Shipping would be at cost, from the UK. I have the box but repacking it into a smaller box might be cheaper.

Roy

Fwiw, I have a Revell launch tower kit that I bought on a whim back in 2005 after I watched Discovery launch in the July (remember that, Jay?).

Roy

Hmmmm, lets see. Was it you that was gracious enough to let me have a ticket for the first launch attempt? Yup, I remember it well. And even though I missed out on 114's launch, it still planted enough of a bug for me to go down and see 121, 131 AND 135 (and Ares 1-X). :D

Hmmmm, lets see. Was it you that was gracious enough to let me have a ticket for the first launch attempt? Yup, I remember it well. And even though I missed out on 114's launch, it still planted enough of a bug for me to go down and see 121, 131 AND 135 (and Ares 1-X). :D

Yes, that was me.

They're pretty durable, I've built his ApolloLUT, and I've started his Pad39A(BTW NOT ON HIS WEBSITE), and they hold up well. Great detail too. 100_3685.jpg

100_3681.jpg

100_3215.jpg

100_2732-1.jpg

100E3222.jpg

Of course, I've added some detail(mission specifics) but his kits are an EXCELLENT starting point.

Edited by maly149

Maly149, can you tell me bit about the Crawler you did?

I'd love to do a Crawler in 1/72, in styrene, using a paper kit as a template, but build the paper one as a guide.

Do you have any WIP pix of your 1/144?

Does the Crawler support the Shuttle stack and Pad, or did you need to augment the Crawler to support it all?

Are your LUT's all paper/cardboard, or is some wire and styrene mixed in too? Like, for instance the railings and piping?

Nice job, very nice, by the way!

Thanx for sharing!

... and thanx Kentak for the link! I wasn't aware of this guy's offering! His kits look superb!!

Pete

Thanks!!! I used some plastic, and you all are in luck Dave has the MLP, and Crawler in 1/72. I'm sure he'll get the whole pad too. The crawler(seen in some of the photos) is not built from anything other than cardstock. the big red tower on the other hand.......... paper, card, foam, brass, plastic. It's strong enough(barely, I did a bad job) to hold up the spacevoyagers Saturn V(this thing weighs A TON). In the future, I plan to make another LUT with ALL of the railings present, but this one the railings are painstakingly made with paper strips.-Crawer-No modification, can hold up the MLP and stack. I made a little one, and it held up pretty well-. the MLP is on the stie, you Plastic guys use it for reference. WIP pics here, and here. The 1/72 shuttle MLP and crawler are on the Ebay page. Thanks guys, and good luck with your future builds!!!