Hobby Boss 1/48 F4U-4 & AU-1

Inspecting the pictures of the trees it looks like they made the same mistakes as Minicraft and Hasegawa. Especially the four-foot-wide canopy opening. Plus also looking at the separate section for the canopy area, leads me to think that they are going to use the same fuse for the AU/-5? series. IF the fuselage was OK than the ONLY other bird it could be used for would be the -7. The front of the fuse for the AU and -5 series is completely different. Not to mention filling in all those fictitious fabric dips in the wings and control surfaces. I wish that Trumpeter/Hobby Boss would get their heads out of their asses about that.

Edited by Otto

I guess it could be used as a conversion kit for the Tamiya F4U-1 :bandhead2: CAN'T ANYONE get a F4U-4 right???????????? I think that the old Monogram might still be the best. :rolleyes::crying2:

Edited by Otto

Inspecting the pictures of the trees it looks like they made the same mistakes as Minicraft and Hasegawa. Especially the four-foot-wide canopy opening. Plus also looking at the separate section for the canopy area, leads me to think that they are going to use the same fuse for the AU/-5? series. IF the fuselage was OK than the ONLY other bird it could be used for would be the -7. The front of the fuse for the AU and -5 series is completely different. Not to mention filling in all those fictitious fabric dips in the wings and control surfaces. I wish that Trumpeter/Hobby Boss would get their heads out of their asses about that.

How can you tell from those images they made the canopy opening too wide? I sure hope it is better than the Academy piece of junk.

I don't see why they would do a AU/5 but you may be correct.

I am not at all happy about the price but I will buy at least one. Probably no more than one though. I usually defend the Chinese makers but not this time.

Sorry, Otto, but if the fuselage is right for an F4U-4, then they couldn't do any version later than the -4 from it. The -7 had the same front end as the AU-1, except for the actual engine version installed and the cowl ring that had to have the chin inlet added back in because the engines themselves for the -7 came from -4s. The -7 cowl still had the distinctive, pear-shaped cross section and lengthened forward fuselage introduced with the F4U-5.

It'd be really nice if 1999 would pull the sprue trees out of the plastic bags and take the foam off the parts before they took the piccies, as the way they presented the images, half of the kit was unable to be viewed. I did see the same dorked-up MLG strut cover and wing opening for same as the Trumpy 1/32 kits, though. My opinion is that this is a very expensive way to get markings for a Fighting Redcocks F4U-4 in 1/48. Good thing I built one in 1/72 already with those markings, cause I don't see myself springing for this one.

Joe

Well, based on what I've seen with the Hobby Boss Demon and the Forger, they can do a good job when they put in the effort. But that price had BETTER be a typo because nobody is going to buy a prop job that is selling for a more expensive price than a jet model in the same scale from the same company.

Sorry, Otto, but if the fuselage is right for an F4U-4, then they couldn't do any version later than the -4 from it. The -7 had the same front end as the AU-1, except for the actual engine version installed and the cowl ring that had to have the chin inlet added back in because the engines themselves for the -7 came from -4s. The -7 cowl still had the distinctive, pear-shaped cross section and lengthened forward fuselage introduced with the F4U-5.

It'd be really nice if 1999 would pull the sprue trees out of the plastic bags and take the foam off the parts before they took the piccies, as the way they presented the images, half of the kit was unable to be viewed. I did see the same dorked-up MLG strut cover and wing opening for same as the Trumpy 1/32 kits, though. My opinion is that this is a very expensive way to get markings for a Fighting Redcocks F4U-4 in 1/48. Good thing I built one in 1/72 already with those markings, cause I don't see myself springing for this one.

Joe

Actually I believe you are right the -7, even though it had the single chin scoop of the -4, it still had the swollen cheeks of the AU-1. It was one of those queer things built just for the French navy.

So far they have screwed up every prop plane I have seen in a long time. All they do is copy, and they chose the junk to copy. They seem to do "OK" with jets and well with the Chinese made jets, which Few are interested in on this continent. This is why the FW200 condor started selling at about $160 and is now selling for about $65 including shipping. Look what they did with the F6F. That is the biggest piece of trash I have ever seen. That is a caricature, at best.

Edited by Otto

These Chinese companies are NUTS with their pricing. http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GWHL4807?&currency_id=2 At this point I am boycotting anything plastic that comes out of China. This is a lot of money to send into that country and it all goes to the state owned company.

Well guys, I just got my most recent e-flyer from Great Models webstore and the devastator is even more than at Hannants.

So far they have screwed up every prop plane I have seen in a long time. All they do is copy, and they chose the junk to copy. They seem to do "OK" with jets and well with the Chinese made jets, which Few are interested in on this continent. This is why the FW200 condor started selling at about $160 and is now selling for about $65 including shipping. Look what they did with the F6F. That is the biggest piece of trash I have ever seen. That is a caricature, at best.

Although, they seem to have done a somewhat decent job on the 1/48 Wildcats, at least those versions other than the FM-2. The F4F-3 that I have seems decent in the box and the reviews I've read of the kit are mostly positive. HB is rather all over the map on quality.

Yes the F4F-3 is OK but the F4F-4 stinks and so do the FMs. Also the stupid rivets they simulate on everything with the thousands of dimples still look OK on the F4Fs but look stupid on the other stuff. I suspect they are also on the Corsair and will make it look ridiculous. I bought the FJ fury and it looks stupid. On the Demon it is just as bad. I still plan on kitbashing a Tamiya -1 with the Academy -4 front end and lower centerplane.

Edited by Otto

I have seen a new projected price hovering between $22 & $26. I know the link is for the AU-1 but the price should be the same. In Euros it goes up to about $30

http://www.plastickitswholesale.co.uk/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/20/products_id/20999

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HB80393

http://www.1001maquettes.fr/lang-en/model-1-48/17151-vought-au-1-corsair-1-48--hobby-boss-80393.html

Edited by Otto
  • 3 weeks later...

Squadron has the -4 listed at $50. I bought it during the 25% off one-day sale and saved $12.50 off that. Like most new products, wait for a sale or just wait and the price will come down.

BTW, "close enough" is usually good enough for me, particularly when measured against the prospect of an involved conversion. I have a Hasegawa kit, true details cockpit, resin engine, Verlinden set and squadron canopy that will be on e-bay soon! I could probably build 3 of these kits OOB in the time it would take to put one kit together with all those aftermarket parts. I have a couple sets of nice decals at the ready and look forward to building it! Some of you out there cringe at the thought of a finished model that is not 100% accurate. For me, engineering that provides good fit, reasonably easy assembly and good detail will trump 100% accuracy just about all the time. (The ability to fold the wings OOB is another thing that convinced me to buy this kit.) Maybe if I were entering the kit into contests or had a connection of some sort to the subject it would change my opinion, but for now I am happy to finally see this one.

Kurt

Give us a small review and post some parts pictures when you get it.

NP, be glad to post some pics. I have a few Tamiya kits in the stash, so I can compare some parts side-by-side. This thread has piqued my curiosity even if I'm not a "rivet counter"!

Kurt

Greatmodels has it listed at $56 retail and selling at $45 http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=HB80386 That is still a bit hi for my taste. SprueBrothers is a buck more. For that price it would have to be perfect. Knowing Hobby Boss, that is highly unlikely. If they made the same mistakes as on the F6F.

Edited by Otto

A highly respected Corsair expert on another modeling forum says the errors in the 1/32nd Trumpeter kit were duplicated in the 1/48th offering. chief among them was the wrong propellor, and some shape problems with the cowl scoop. There also seems to be a problem with the shape of the forward gear openings, and the front cover that attaches to the gear leg. Most of these problems can be rectified with parts from a spare Monogram, Academy, or hasegawa kit. I'm sure the aftermarket folks will prepare accurate substitutes. In any case, after spending roughly half a C note, you still have to invest in a cheap source for the spare parts, or more expensive resin aftermarket castings. I believe I'll pass, waiting for Tamiya to produce one, or Hasegawa to re-do their -4 bird.

A highly respected Corsair expert on another modeling forum says the errors in the 1/32nd Trumpeter kit were duplicated in the 1/48th offering. chief among them was the wrong propellor, and some shape problems with the cowl scoop. There also seems to be a problem with the shape of the forward gear openings, and the front cover that attaches to the gear leg. Most of these problems can be rectified with parts from a spare Monogram, Academy, or hasegawa kit. I'm sure the aftermarket folks will prepare accurate substitutes. In any case, after spending roughly half a C note, you still have to invest in a cheap source for the spare parts, or more expensive resin aftermarket castings. I believe I'll pass, waiting for Tamiya to produce one, or Hasegawa to re-do their -4 bird.

The 1/32 corsair did not have good reviews. This means that unless I can find one somewhere for a song, I will pass on this thing. I also refuse to pay half-a-C-note for a half-***ed-kit.

Edited by Otto

Holy smokes! By those standards just about every kit on the market is "half-assed"! To make the Hasegawa kit "accurate" and fold the wings, I had to invest in an aftermarket engine, canopy and detail set. Even then, the surface detail was raised and not all that great. All of that extra $ and LOTS of extra work (read "time") to get the result I was after? If the new kit requires only a few simple fixes to get a reasonably accurate result without all that fuss, in my book that is the path of least resistance. Rather than get caught-up in the "analysis paralysis", I plan to just build the kit! To quote my favorite movie, "It's only a model". I build mainly to escape from the daily grind and enjoy the relaxation this hobby offers, so most of these issues are just "noise" to me.

I know that some people have such a love for their subjects that only perfection will satisfy, but I am just not one of those people.

Kurt

Still waiting on the kit...will post pictures when it arrives.

By no means am I expecting perfection. The problem is that I do expect value for my money. The 1/32 Trumpeter kit got really slammed and when these kits get shrunken down they get even worse. The strange thing is that the price seams to stay where the 1/32 price was.

By no means am I expecting perfection. The problem is that I do expect value for my money. The 1/32 Trumpeter kit got really slammed and when these kits get shrunken down they get even worse. The strange thing is that the price seams to stay where the 1/32 price was.

I have this kit in hand now, it arrived today. It is not a pantograph of the 1/32 kit. It does repeat a few of the errors (the main gear and prop hub), but it is not as bad as the 1/32 Trumpeter kit. It is actually an improvement, but it does need slight fixes. To me the prop hub is the most noticeable. The surface detail is almost the same as the Hasegawa -5s, in that it is similar but it is not as sharp. It is still good though. It is more work to fix the Hasegawa kit, which I am also working on. I am grafting a rescribed fuselage to the minicraft wing, which is not a perfect fit.

I paid $37.00 for my Corsair and I find that was a good bargain.

Yesterday I received my GWH Devastator, now that kit is a real gem. I hear the fit is outstanding from those who are building it. But I can confirm the tooling inside the box is amazing. It reminds me of the Accurate Miniature kits when they came out. Included is a poster on the inside and everything is carefully packed. I am very impressed with this kit, I rate it as one of the top kits I have in 1/48. I paid $50.00 for this kit. With all the contents, it is a bargain also.

Being a fan of WWII Naval aviation I am a little biased though.