I haven't got the markings yet but I'm pretty sure they'll look like THIS

Ok so as I'm getting close to it... What color is that? Is it a dark khaki or something? Looks to dark to be odg.

Anyway most everything is complete and attached. Two coats of primer on. Had to resand some areas after the first coat. Pics later tonight or tomorrow.

I've also begun working on the main rotors. There's a bunch of pe here so they should dress up nicely.

AH-64's (and other helos) are painted in FS34031, Aircraft Green, or US Army Helo Drab. Modelmaster has this color as 2024 in enamel and 4723 as acrylic. I think I read somewhere that the enamel is spot on, and the acrylic isn't, but I'm not sure. Maybe ask the boys in the helo forum.

Looking forward to the finished build! :)

AH-64's (and other helos) are painted in FS34031, Aircraft Green, or US Army Helo Drab. Modelmaster has this color as 2024 in enamel and 4723 as acrylic. I think I read somewhere that the enamel is spot on, and the acrylic isn't, but I'm not sure. Maybe ask the boys in the helo forum.

Looking forward to the finished build! :)

Means I'll have to go get some different paint. I don't think I have anything similar but I'll look.

Still LOTS to do. I haven't even begun painting or detailing the engines and all that detail paint in the bays will take a lot of time.

The easy parts done though for the most part.

Visual reference to where she's at now.

1222e3cd.jpg

3fd56f60.jpg

51c8f882.jpg

There was some more pe for the rotors but it was so small and unworkable that I nixed it.

1f3c0ca6.jpg

The ammo mag has 3 different shades of paint on it already. Only need to do one line in black and it's basically done.

The engines got a coat of steel on them and will get detail started today. I dryfit both engines and they fit perfectly. This ArmyCast stuff is very nice.

More pics...

Engines and stuff. I am incapable of taking a good pic of these due to their size.

c5e1cd09.jpg

What they'll look like in the bird.

1a968ea5.jpg

4bc89479.jpg

I'm gonna run to LHS to get some paint today and if I'm off work tonight I hope to get the green on the main frame.

If not then tomorrow.

Painted up.

Looks greener in person but is what it is. After I posted a quick QnA on the helo forum I decided to just go with the paint straight from the bottle. I'm happy with it.

bb37daab.jpg

I plan to get the clear coat on before I mask and paint the chromate parts. I don't want them to be all shiny afterward. I'm going to attempt to spray future again. Hope it goes well.

Alright one final impasse before I can push on the the finish of this. The decal instructions call to mask and paint the walkways on the sills and wings. I've got decals for the wing walkways from the Academy kit I could use but would have to paint the sills for sure so I'd probably paint the wings also. My main boggle though is I'm not sure if these were actually there or actually black or just blended with the color? I haven't seen any close up pics of these actual Apaches but on others it doesn't look like the walkways are there.

I emailed Cobra and am still waiting his response but if anyone else knows let me know.

Thanks

For my Apache build I painted them NATO black. The ones I have seen the walks are distinct from the Helo OD. There is a lot of fading and variation, anything from faded black to panzer gray should be OK.

Slow progress. Got the main rotor and hellfires painted yesterday. Also detailed, washed, and installed the chain gun mag. Also installed one engine. Still need to give a wash to the area. and add another part or two.

Hopeful to get to decals today but have my daughter's birthday party tomorrow so lots of cleaning must take place.

71734390.jpg

788a8945.jpg

Slow going.

Decals are on first coat of flat is on as well. Had minor silvering but I think I took care of it.

Working on Assembling the Hellfire racks now. These things are very intricate and delicate.

Pics with decals on later or tomorrow when it's good n dry.

Alright so here's a few pics.

I took the window masks off which I was eager to do. This was the first time I've used any pre-cut masks and will probably be the last. Theres a white ege around the windows now and there was some bleed under of the white primer as well. The one that I masked myself was perfectly fine. Oh well. I'm going to scrape off as much of the white as I can and then will probably use a mechanical pencil to do the edges of the windows. Hopefully it'll hide the white and make it ok.

d1e495b0.jpg

614935fe.jpg

Getting close now...

Dummy Hellfires have been mounted.

0d3800d0.jpg

0ad1ba97.jpg

Still have to touch up where I sanded the fins to shape. Found a nice picture on the ARC walk-arounds section that showed red covers for the rocket ends so I painted the ends red. Adds a bit of color.

Main gun prior to a dark wash to blend everything.

0829ef75.jpg

Both engines are now mounted.

05ac728f.jpg

Quite proud of how the ir jammer turned out. It came in the ArmyCast set and I painted it chrome silver with a light covering of tamiya clear red. All the pictures I've seen they always had a pinkish mirror look.

8d0cb80d.jpg

Not much left to do beside finish some detail painting and get all the parts together.

Ok advice needed. Im near the completion but two things are nagging me. The tail antenna and the way the resin gun sits.

Anyway I mocked up a tail antenna.

cb9b6f45.jpg

Not sure if it looks right. Still needs painted obviously.

Also the gun sits too low because of the way I mounted it. I could cut it off but then it wouldn't be able to be positioned. Or I can leave it as is. What you think?

ab0ebff4.jpg

Otherwise next couple days and were done. Mounted the hellfires today.

That tail antenna should look something like THIS. I'm gonna look around for some wire in insulation or something that may look better.

Edited by Bigasshammm