Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and to building all together, I have build in the past but not at this level (using resin parts etc.)

Also bin learning alot of diff. technics from all the modelbuilding forums so thats great.

Another thing I really enjoy is watching the progress reports from other builders (have to say it's pretty scary showing the progress of my first build after seeing master builders at work.

Ok I bought a Hasegawa 1:48 kit as I thought it was the best F16 out there remembering that years ago it was considert a highly detailed modelmaker and its not a cheap model,after watching many forums I have to say that the Tamiya F16 is considert superieur but no F16I from what I understood.

I would like to upload pictures from what I have made so far but I guess I need to upload them first to a site so I can attache them using an url so will get back on that once I figure that out.

Needed to buy alot of equipment and paint etc thank god I already own a compressor and airbrush all though I am thinking of upgrading the airbrush to a iwata read alot of great things about that one I just cant seem to get detailed work correctly with the airbrush I have now.

I can howe ever add a list of what I have bought to upgrade my model.

Royal Resin radome,and weighted wheels.

Aires flightdeck, wheelbays,exhaust.

Eduards canopy and exterior upgrade.

model master reality in miniture F16 probe & angle of attack probe.

Isracast Rafael air to air missiles,rafael litening pod,600 gallo fuel tanks (still think the hasegawa centre fuel tank is too small or narrow),rafael spice guided bombs.

Also bought the sufa decals from isradecal,aircraft in detail book.

I know its alot of stuff for a beginner but I like to start correctly and I am really a detail freak.

I have to say that I have bought the kit twice as I ruined the first one with scribing I think thats the hardest thing to do correctly (the second kit I bought was half priced so that was good)and now I can use parts as spare and also do the testing on those parts first.

During that build I also needed a new radome and with no charge Doug at Royal Resin send me a new radome I mean what a great guy next to his great products.

Anyway I guess enough for now will add pictures of the build with the next message.

Edited by B777_Nihad

Hi again everyone,

Found a way to upload some pictures of my build hope they look good enough.

Using vallejo air paints as I do not want to paint with enamel paints due to the cleaning of the airbrush and because I do not have a sprayboot so just work with waterbased paints and learn to live and work with there own shortcomings.

finding the correct paints in vallejo was not easy either though.

First picture shows the 2 base colors used on this flightdeck.

imag0150ac.jpg

Trying to add as much detail as possible looking at flightdeck pictures.

imag0153t.jpg

This picture was taken just after adding some weathering that is why the floor is shiny.Also tried not to do too much weathering as from the pictures I saw of this aircraft they look pretty clean and new.

imag0157e.jpg

Another picture.

imag0159u.jpg

tried to use a flash on my phone so I could share a bit more detail of the flightdeck as I added some polishing wax liqued (future called diff. in this country) as learned from the forums to make the gauges have some kind of glassy apperance but hard to see on this picture.

imag0161j.jpg

Thats it for now.

Would love to hear how it looks from all you experienced builders :worship:

Nihad

Edited by B777_Nihad

Some more pictures of the progress of the F16I I am adding aditional details according to pictures hope they will make the model look more realistic.

The canopy shown on these pictures is only there to protect the cockpit as I used it to test how to add the yellow to the canopy and which mixture to use.

imag0200b.jpg

Added a CFT seal as seen online by a diff. builder thought it looked pretty cool just needed to find the correct thickness of the styreen rod 0.3mm.

imag0203g.jpg

The exhaust ring has bin painted with various alclad paints to try to get the right color and look.

imag0204vr.jpg

Will add some more progress pictures later on today thank you for watching.

nihad

Thank you sir and yeah it makes the f16 look heavier and not that slim.

Some more pictures to add where the sufa is at now.

Tried some airbrussing work on the inside of the exhaust

imag0206u.jpg

imag0207y.jpg

Those splasses was not what I wanted did not change or fix it as it wont show at that position once done but that is one of the problems I come up against with the airbrush and read many things too close to the spraying part,lower the compressor pressure,not properly mixed the paint etc etc and from almost all the places people write just have to see what works for you and practise ,practise,practise so that is what I am doing there is no ready made solutions I guess.

imag0208jq.jpg

Also a picture of the main wheelwell have to say looks better inreal (it really does) :rolleyes:

imag0212d.jpg

I have seen people have a yellow decal with inscription on the red square is there a place where those are sold?

I bought this rivet making tool a few weeks ago but while I was testing it I found out that its hard to see the rivetwheel due to the plastic parts if anybody is reading this and uses this same tool would appreciatte some tips on how to use it :D

imag0228jw.jpg

Thanx for watching

Nihad

Edited by B777_Nihad

For a first build that's quite amazing! :woot.gif: :woot.gif:

Keep it up! :banana:

Re the riveter, I happen to have the same one. You can use a guide such as Dymo tape to rest the side of the wheel against. That makes for straight lines and you don't have to see the wheel because you already placed the guide in the right place.

Hope that helps.

Hi Michel,

Actually did some tests on a flat piece of styreen with the riveter and then it looks ok but when I try it on a round surface the rivets just dont look right so descided to find another way maybe use a needle and try to make my own rivets.

Bin scribing the bottom of the plane and its looking pretty cool now so dont want to mess it up with a rivet tool that I cant seem to handle or just does not come out ok.

But thank you for your comments and help sir.

Nihad

Edited by B777_Nihad

Some more pictures of progress on some parts.

An isracast Rafael Spice Guided Bomb sprayed with future and just weatherd did not have the correct green so had to do some mixing with the greens I did have so might not be spot on but I am ok with it, once I get the weathering ok will spray it a matt finish.

imag0184xe.jpg

Test fitting these 2 exhausts not sure what there purpose is exactly but added some pe strips and folded them in the exhaust to get 2 seperate holes as shown on up close pictures of the real F16I, wish I had a hold 'n fold for those small home made parts must put it on the wishlist.

Whatever I tried just could not get a picture of those added parts just too dark for the camera I use.

Did not attache them yet added tin super glue to the excisting lines and scribed new lines just need to add rivets (funny just need to add rivets as if its that easy :bandhead2: )

imag0224t.jpg

Nihad

Edited by B777_Nihad

Hi Michel,

Actually did some tests on a flat piece of styreen with the riveter and then it looks ok but when I try it on a round surface the rivets just dont look right so descided to find another way maybe use a needle and try to make my own rivets.

Bin scribing the bottom of the plane and its looking pretty cool now so dont want to mess it up with a rivet tool that I cant seem to handle or just does not come out ok.

But thank you for your comments and help sir.

Nihad

You're welcome. Sorry to hear it didn't solve it. But the way you tackle the various techniques I'm sure you'll have this one cracked in no time as well. If you need any more help don't hesitate.

Cheers !

Small update did some work on the flaps did not have the correct thickness styreen strip so it requires a bit more sanding but well part of the hobby.

imag0250j.jpg

imag0251w.jpg

Also finished the coloring of the canopy a 2 tone was not an easy job but I am happy with the result.

imag0222o.jpg

imag0257ae.jpg

imag0260r.jpg

Also continued working on scribing the correct lines according to pictures of the real aircraft and the more I do it the more it gets the look I am after.

I have bin trying to do riveting too these last few days but the results just do not look good enough or they just do not show after sanding or painting tried diff. ways just no luck so I guess will leave that until I am more confident and get more experienced in modeling.

I think it would be a shame to ruine this plane trying.

imag0243o.jpg

Thank you all for watching the progress.

Nihad

I bought this rivet making tool a few weeks ago but while I was testing it I found out that its hard to see the rivetwheel due to the plastic parts if anybody is reading this and uses this same tool would appreciatte some tips on how to use it :D

imag0228jw.jpg

Thanx for watching

Nihad

Common complaint with the Trumpy rivet tool. One solution I came up with is to line up a small piece of styrene rod with the rivet wheel and glue it to the front of the tool with CA. You still can't see exactly where the wheel is, but it takes the guesswork out of trying to line up the rivets with a panel line. Filling in any excess rivets is pretty simple, though.

Great work so far, BTW!

I stole this picture from a fellow ARC member PIERRE CHRISTIAN BAUDRUr , it might help you a bit.

Fujimi Mig Build

I hope that will help to "aim" your cutter, I might also suggest even if you don't like the look of the rivets left by the wheel, you can use it as a guide for spacing and follow with a pin to round out the hole.

I just acquired the Rivet-R tools, I bought both the large diameter wheel and Mini,I found I like the Mini and would also recommend the 2nd holder as they are not that easy to change, I think thats about the only design advantage to the Trumpeter tool.

Good luck with your build it looks like your doing a fine job.

Curt

DSC03963.jpg

Thanx guys,

I have bin checking out the net and seeing various diff. tools for sale to make rivets I will try to adjust the trumpeter tool and see if it works for me the other thing that worries me is that during riveting like you wrote Curt the rivets do not come out round but square so will do a small test and re do them with a needle see if that works.

If not will keep this model as is and invest in rivet-R tools for the next model.

Thank you both for your help though appreciate it.

Saw a small video on these tools on youtube http://www.modeldesignconstruction.co.uk/mall/departmentpage.cfm/ModelDesignConstruction/_54282/1/Tools any of you have experience with or knows these tools?

Nihad

Hi Everyone,

Have bin busy these last few days the model is almost ready to be painted ,just need to add some small parts and also was not happy with how I added some PE parts so decided to change that.

At first I had glued them on top but found they would look much better flush with the fuselage like the real thing.

I changed one side still need to change 4 more on the other side

imag0276dr.jpg

imag0279u.jpg

This is what the plane looks like at this moment I did alot of scribing and also fixed all that did not look ok or was damaged.

imag0282t.jpg

Some more detailed close up of the bottom.

imag0288c.jpg

imag0285f.jpg

Thanx for watching.

Nihad

Edited by B777_Nihad

Today I painted the model in vallejo grey primer might have bin a bit too dark for the IAF colors but had already painted the droptanks so was worried if I used a diff. primer on the plane I would get a diff end color.

imag0309z.jpg

imag0300zz.jpg

imag0298u.jpg

After I finished painting I wanted to clean my airbrush and it slipped out of my hand I was able to catch it before it would hit the ground but I got the needle in my hand and it got bend and it also damaged the nozzle. :bandhead2:

I have to say I was not really happy with it I can obviously say its because I lack spraying skills and experience but after making so many test runs and doing everything I picked up from diff. forums and youtube I really think this airbrush is the problem.

This is a local stores own brand as I have not found any other places with info about this airbrush.

Its called the taurus 301 double action,gravity fed,0.3mm nozzle,7.0 ml cup.

I am planning to go by tomorrow and buy some replacement parts and let them take a look at the airbrush I have maybe it has other problems as I already had changed parts before.

At this moment I will probably also pick up another airbrush which I have bin checking out for weeks now its the IWATA HP-C Plus this one gets pretty good reviews from builders online and its 1 I can afford at this moment.

Would love to hear from others here that have this airbrush or any other good airbrush with there thoughts about it.

Thank you.

Nihad

Edited by B777_Nihad

Nihad,

How did you do the canopy? I have been trying to do it but i run out of spare canopies now and i still don't get it looking right.

Looking good so far i have just love the F-16I i think it's the sexiest Viper around. Your's is looking so much better than mine thats for sure. Keep the updates coming.

Thank you sir and yeah it makes the f16 look heavier and not that slim.

Some more pictures to add where the sufa is at now.

Tried some airbrussing work on the inside of the exhaust

imag0206u.jpg

imag0207y.jpg

Those splasses was not what I wanted did not change or fix it as it wont show at that position once done but that is one of the problems I come up against with the airbrush and read many things too close to the spraying part,lower the compressor pressure,not properly mixed the paint etc etc and from almost all the places people write just have to see what works for you and practise ,practise,practise so that is what I am doing there is no ready made solutions I guess.

imag0208jq.jpg

Also a picture of the main wheelwell have to say looks better inreal (it really does) :rolleyes:

imag0212d.jpg

I have seen people have a yellow decal with inscription on the red square is there a place where those are sold?

imag0228jw.jpg

Thanx for watching

Nihad

Get down close to your work and pull the tool towards you. You can see where it's going and pulling makes a straighter line than pulling.

Hi Harrier/Viper Fan,

I looked online on how other builders did it and tried many ways but the best result I got was mixing 0.1 part Tamiya titanium gold, 1 part Tamiya clear yellow , 3 parts Tamiya thinner.

And the mixture wasn't that exact as I filled a small bottle so I could dip the canopy in and let it dry as if you dipped it in Future.

Obviously in this case only dipped in half the canopy.

imag0257ae.jpg

Kept the rest of the mixture incase in the future I need the yellow mixture again. Have to say this mixture looks pretty dark but the canopy was made with this result.

imag0222o.jpg

Aggressor01 I have descided not to add rivets to this build as I have enough problems with the scribing alone so instead of adding another maybe will leave that for my second build.

I rescribed the entire plane and even changed some lines all worked ok but those small square panels ( on the upper fuselage tanks) (with rounded edges just did not work for me) after many attempse I just cant get it to work so I am now trying to get those panels back (due to alot of sanding ,super glue repair) I almost lost the entire panels engraving.

Not sure on how I am going to fix this I tried using scribing panels but most of the panels I am talking about do not have perfect square shapes either so I descided to re-make those panels with the thinnest styreen panels I have and glue to them to the correct position and try to blend them in by sanding.

Not sure on how else I can fix this.

If anybody has a diff. suggestion please I am all open for it.

Added some pictures of the tanks I am talking about.

Nihad

Edited by B777_Nihad
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Removed the conformal tanks and searched online and in a local store if there is a company that sells those tanks seperatly (do not want to buy another F16I again) and found that CMK sells those tanks seperately so will check those out tomorrow.

Cleaned up the fuselage after removing the conformal tanks and left the plane until I get the new tanks.

Did some work on the cockpit seats and also am practising with weathering (never did that before) on a spare wing to see how that works.

Had some time off today and bin at it all day ,noticed its very easy to over do the weathering especially on a plane like the F16I that from the pictures I saw is pretty clean all over.

Added some pictures with what I have tried so far.

imag0325s.jpg

imag0332x.jpg

imag0331s.jpg

Did 2 wings but only 1 wing added future to see the diff. and found out that the wing without future is much harder to clean up if the weathering doesnt look ok.

So descided to stick with the wing that has future on it.

Also having some troubles with camo paint weathering.

Do you guy's use diff. colors on the diff. camo colors?

I first painted the wing with vallejo air paints (green/blue is not good found correct paint)but only changed the grey and brown with gunze paints added some thinner to see if I could make the paints lighter to add a bit more diff. in panels.

used oil paint mixed with MIG thinner to weather ,also tried Promoddeler weather wash,MIG pigments powder,tamiya pigments.

And next to the oil paint mix the best result I got was with a pencil.

Hard to get tin strokes with the regular powderd pigments.

so could anybody help me out with some pointers or tips would really appreciate it.

Thank you for any help.

Nihad

Edited by B777_Nihad