VMF-221 F4F-3 battle of Midway

I can find all kinds of info on the Buffalo for Midway, and all kinds of info on VMF-221 for Guadalcanal, but nothing on the Marine F4F-3 Wildcats of VMF-221 for the Battle of Midway. Anyone have anything at all. Besides written word.

Edited by Otto

Hi Otto,

sniff in around on the net, found this >

ww2incolor.com , other than that, yes, pretty scarce info out there, I have some books on U.S.M.C. aviation at home, when I get home I’ll dig around and see what I get, post tomorrow. "Semper Fidelis"

The photo you posted about sums it up. They were as non-descript as Navy planes of the time and carried similar markings. The fun part of modeling them is painting out all the previous markings (as you can see on the rudder).

Ken

It looks like they used the dark Insignia Blue to paint out the tail. It also appears that they managed to paint on the new large star before the battle.

Boy, those Japanese pilots were something else, flying in such a perfect, tight, straight formation. :D

You may think that it is a bit funny, but you must realize that the Japanese has mostly Petty-Officers and Warrant-Officers as pilots. Flying was considered as work and was left mostly to Non-coms. Usually squadron leaders were officers. Their discipline was strict and unwavering. I would not be surprised if in fact there was quite a bit of troth in that formation depiction.

• 1 year later...

Well, it looks like Yellow Wings has gone bust on this. No joy. Anyone have any more info on Midway Island VMF-221 F4F-3 aircraft?

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon Otto,

This link may help: http://www.warbirdforum.com/midwayx.htm . While it contains no pix, it gives a synopsis of 221's Buffalo and Wildcat actions at Midway to include pilots, individual aircraft numbers, bureau numbers, and their end result. Also note that Starfighter Decals put out a 1/72 sheet covering USN aircraft at Midway. Maybe they will cover the Marines and Army aircraft with their next releases.

Hope this helps,

Jay