B-17G Flying Fortress - 452nd BG

It's been a long time since I built a 1940s aircraft but having spent some time researching my local WW2 era USAAF base (RAF Deopham Green in Norfolk), I couldn't resist investing in the Revell kit. I've added a few extras - decals, guns, resin wheels, engines - and will add a lot of other detail from Evergreen and aluminium (the plan being to try out Olivier's - aka Edwards Scissorhands - Budweiser technique!). This will also be the first build I've finished in bare metal (using Alclad) so it'll be quite a challenge. I'm expecting it to be a pretty long-term build and will have other projects running concurrently. But from time to time - if it's going OK - I'll share some updates.

I'm still thinking about which individual aircraft I'll build but at the moment it's a choice between Scrappy Jnr (44-83264) and Miasis Dragon (44-8531). Not many pictures around, certainly not colour ones, so there'll be an element of guesswork albeit based on what reliable material I can find.

Wish me luck!

Cheers

Ian

B-17G-1.jpg

B-17G-2.jpg

Edited by Ian Cooper

Thanks guys. Didn't mention that I plan to get rid of the raised panel lines and scribe new ones. So progress will be 'real slow'! But I'll try to get something done in order to re-post before this thread gets buried!!!

Cheers

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Here's the first update in this build ....

I decided to start on the port wing rather than the fuselage. As there'll be lots of scratch building to do inside the fuselage, I wanted to "get into" the build before I tackled that.

So far, I've removed the raised panel lines from the underside of the port wing, enscribed new panel lines there. These look a little messy at the moment and I'm hoping they'll smarten up with some primer. The big challenge for me on this build is the panel line engraving combined with a bare metal finish. "Challenge" because I'm not good at panel line engraving and I haven't finished a model in bare metal before. The bare metal finish is like to highlight any dodgy panel lines. Here's hoping it turns out OK!

I've added some detail to those radiator (etc) intakes on the leading edge. The flaps have been removed and I've started to recreate the inside of the flap area but can't do more on this until the upper and lower wing parts have been joined. A little detail has been added on the exhaust of the supercharger. That's about it. I'm not planning to cut off the ailerons for this build - in the photos I've looked at these appear to have been left 'straight' when parked.

The photos ....

IMG_6086.jpg

IMG_6085.jpg

IMG_6084.jpg

IMG_6083.jpg

IMG_6082.jpg

It's like falling off a bike, Janne. Need to get straight back on! I've been looking forward to this one because of the link between the build and my neighbourhood. Occasionally I'll drive over to the old Deopham Green airfield - very peaceful now - and it was one of those visits that led me to do a little research, discovering the airfield was used by the 452nd Bomb Group toward the end of WW2. It's a special place....

IMG_5377.jpg

I dropped into my local model shop today as well. That's situated at Snetterton Heath, home to the 96th Bomb Group in WW2 (B-17s). We're rich in WW2 history around here!

Cheers!

Ian

Edited by Ian Cooper

I do need to give some thought to how I'll add the nose art when I get to that stage. I don't have what's needed to make my own decals so I'm thinking (with a little trepidation!) of handpainting. I've done a quick sketch of the nose art for this aircraft ....

ScrappyJr001.jpg

Started to scribe the panel lines on the top side of the port wing today.

Removing the raised panel lines ...

IMG_6088.jpg

Flexible steel ruler ....

IMG_6089.jpg

Scribing tool (great for straight lines but not for corners!) ...

IMG_6090.jpg

Panel lines now scribed ...

IMG_6092.jpg

Sand with fine paper and polishing tool ....

IMG_6093.jpg

Clean the dust from the panel lines ....

IMG_6094.jpg

Done!

Not much done this week - been v. busy at work. But now have a few days off so hoping to get some work done. I'm still on the port wing and been giving thought to the detailing of the wheel bay. The kit is very basic and bears little resemblance to the fairly spacious bay on the 1:1 version. Here's what the kit provides ....

IMG_6100.jpg

IMG_6099.jpg

IMG_6097.jpg

IMG_6095.jpg

The plan is to open up the wheel bay and build up detail with some scratch-building. I've managed to make a start on that this evening and will post some pics tomorrow. The finished wheel bay won't be entirely prototypical but will bring some much needed detail (albeit to an area that no-one will ever see - why do we do that!?!?)

Cheers

Ian

Nice build so far. I'll be watching this one.

I gotta ask, why rescribe the B-17? I see people do this and it baffles me honestly. It's a lot of work, what's the pay off in taking all that time. It cant be for accuracy cause there raised/overlapping panels all over the B-17's, it's 1930's technology afterall. I'm not trying to critisize, I'm just really curious why all the extra work?

Nice build so far. I'll be watching this one.

I gotta ask, why rescribe the B-17? I see people do this and it baffles me honestly. It's a lot of work, what's the pay off in taking all that time. It cant be for accuracy cause there raised/overlapping panels all over the B-17's, it's 1930's technology afterall. I'm not trying to critisize, I'm just really curious why all the extra work?

Hi B17 guy!

Why all the extra work? I'm a modeller! Detail in wheel bays that noone will see. Detailed interior that noone will see. It makes an expensive kit last longer! No, actually, I just think engraved panel lines with a wash make models look more '3D' - that's my reason. And I'm crap at joining things like fuselage halves together if they have raised detail. So, lots of reasons for doing this that are all to do with me - my shortcomings and little preferences. Nothing to do with authenticity!

Thanks for dropping by though. All feedback welcome. Should post some progress pics of the wheel bay later ....

Cheers

Ian

Edited by Ian Cooper

Progress on the port wheel bay.....

Bulkheads built ....

IMG_6101.jpg

IMG_6102.jpg

Side panels out of this Evergreen...

IMG_6104.jpg

IMG_6105.jpg

A preview of the empty wheel well ....

IMG_6106.jpg

IMG_6107.jpg

Now to add detail ...

The plan is to add the detail to the side panels and paint everything before fixing the side panels in place. I'm making this up as I go along so I'm hoping it'll work OK. Time will tell, I guess.

Cheers

Ian

... and the most entertaining part of the build so far came last night when I superglued my thumb and forefinger together. I've 'tacked' fingers together before but this was proper glued. Took my model knife to gently separate them. A little sore this morning!

Hope to finish the port wheel bay and get it painted before the week's out. I can then put the two halves of the wing together and get working on (i) the flaps and (ii) the landing light in the leading edge. Then it'll be the starboard wing ...

Cheers

Ian

Don't do that, Ian! ;D

Looking great so far- Your wheel wells are impressive!

Cheers!

chuk

Hey, hang on. It's the mighty Chukw dropping by on my little ole thread and saying nice things about my wheel wells. Wow. Now THAT is something. I'm gonna quit now while I'm ahead!

Thanks Chuk! You've made my day! :worship:

Ian

Looking good so far, I love the forts!

Hry chuck! I'd love to see YOU build one of these!!!!!!! Hint hint!!!!!!!!

probly' have to be a captured B-17 cf8a79d1.gif

Ian great job, the alclad looks very fine on your wheel wells details.

getsmileyCAN54UAK.gif Will be looking forward to your up dates

• 3 weeks later...