B-17G Flying Fortress - 452nd BG

Hi guys

Here's the sum of today's effort. The wing halves have been joined, the flap well has been lined with Evergreen, some filling and sanding, the Quick Boost cowl flaps added but then some Evergreen added to give 'open' effect, the Quickboost engines have been glued in place and a few other details have been applied.

Next - tidy this a little and panit the engines before adding the engine covers.

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5.jpg

Cheers!

Ian

Dropping the flaps? Nice! I have kitsworld decals as well. A bit disappointed that they don't include national insignia, but they look like great decals! Did you notice that the profiles on your decal sheet show the Cheyanne tail turret? I have the Monogram kit, so chose decals accordingly because I don't have a tail turret conversion...

Aaron

Thanks for dropping by, Aaron.

I haven't got to start the fuselage yet. I've got to try to find out what tail end Scrappy Jr had before I decide if I need to mod. I'm guessing I WILL need to but will check it out first. Have you started your kit yet?

Ian

Dropping the flaps? Nice! I have kitsworld decals as well. A bit disappointed that they don't include national insignia, but they look like great decals! Did you notice that the profiles on your decal sheet show the Cheyanne tail turret? I have the Monogram kit, so chose decals accordingly because I don't have a tail turret conversion...

Aaron

Edited by Ian Cooper

Hey Ian,

No, I haven't started my kit yet. I'm seriously considering it for my next build though. I need to source some US insignia and decide on a few other details before I can start, not to mention finish the F-84G I'm building now (Revell 1/48). My fort is going to be Hikin' for Home.

Aaron

Why yes Sir, those are the insignia I'll need for my B-17. And correct again, Hikin' for Home is from the 91st BG at Bassingbourne.....From what I can remember, anyway. I think that's what the decal sheet says!

I love your scratchbuilt wheel wells. Nicely done! I haven't decided what I'd like to add/detail on my kit. We'll see how she fits together and go from there. If it's too much of a headache just dealing with seams, I won't have the time or patience to add extra detailing. If the fit is generally good, I'll be able to spend more time adding some simple details.

Can't wait to see more of your build!

Aaron

Why yes Sir, those are the insignia I'll need for my B-17. And correct again, Hikin' for Home is from the 91st BG at Bassingbourne.....From what I can remember, anyway. I think that's what the decal sheet says!

I love your scratchbuilt wheel wells. Nicely done! I haven't decided what I'd like to add/detail on my kit. We'll see how she fits together and go from there. If it's too much of a headache just dealing with seams, I won't have the time or patience to add extra detailing. If the fit is generally good, I'll be able to spend more time adding some simple details.

Can't wait to see more of your build!

Aaron

Mine is going to be a slow build. I want this to be as good as I can get it because of the link with the local airfield that Scrappy Jr flew from. So I'll keep going with detailing and some mods. I've just realised that tge Revell kit has the side gunner windows opposite each other and I need to check if this was a B-17G with offset windows. If they were offset, I'll have to fill and drill!

I'm hoping maybe to get some primer around the joins and some black gloss on the engines today ... if I can find the time ... but it may well not happen. I really need to find a way of being able to spend more time modelling and less time working (without affecting £ income, of course!)

Cheers

Ian

I really need to find a way of being able to spend more time modelling and less time working (without affecting £ income, of course!)

Cheers

Ian

If you can find the secret to that, sell it for millions. Until then, we're all in the same boat, which is working hard and modeling when we can find the time.

Keep plugging along on your fort! Have a profile picture of Scrappy Jr? I can't seem to find one....

Aaron

If you can find the secret to that, sell it for millions. Until then, we're all in the same boat, which is working hard and modeling when we can find the time.

Keep plugging along on your fort! Have a profile picture of Scrappy Jr? I can't seem to find one....

Aaron

Hi Aaron

No - I don't have a profile picture. I know it was 44-83264 and a B-17G-75-DL. I have a couple of black and white photos - one of the nose art and one of the tail, but that's it so far. I'm not sure if this individual aircraft had the yellow bands on the tail that some 452nd aircraft had. There may be an element of guesswork in that respect if I can't fins anything definitive!

Ian

And just for good measure, a quick google search for me suggests that the 730th BS of the 452nd BG only wore the yellow bands on the tail with the Olive Drab over Neutral Gray birds. The photos of any natural metal B-17s from the 730th BS don't have the yellow bands. If it were my bird, I would skip them, but no one can prove you're wrong if you paint them! I have a great book that probably has some color pics of the 730th, but I'm on the road. Be home Tuesday (maybe Sunday) to give you some more info if I have it.

Aaron

I've just realised that tge Revell kit has the side gunner windows opposite each other and I need to check if this was a B-17G with offset windows. If they were offset, I'll have to fill and drill!

From what I can see in the pics Jester linked, you will be drilling and filling. The US star and bar is directly in front of the crew entry door, which means the waist window is on the other side of the star and bar, therefore, staggered waist windows.

Those wells wells looks really good by the way! Keep up the good work.

Edited by B-17 guy

Aaron ....

Thanks for the link. I have seen those photos thanks but I was glad to get your view on the yellow bars. I've read somewhere about yellow on the NMF B-17s of the 452nd but I think it was just speculation. I don't think I'll be painting for a while (!) so if you could check your book when you get home, I'd appreciate it. Thanks very much.

B-17 guy ....

Thanks for the feedback on the wheel wells. I had it pretty clear in my mind that with this being a late build B-17 (arriving in January 44) that it would have the staggered waist windows. But that's no problem, just a little more work to do. I can do that while I'm sanding down the fuselage in preparation for the panel line work. And, it seems I'll need to do a mod on the tail 'turret'!

All good fun, I guess!

Cheers

Ian

Aaron

Follow up to my last post.

Page 73 of the Squadron/Signal B-17 walkround has a profile of Mon Tete Rouge from the 452nd with 'yellow bits'. No yellow bands but some yellow all the same.

Ian

Hey Ian,

No, I haven't started my kit yet. I'm seriously considering it for my next build though. I need to source some US insignia and decide on a few other details before I can start, not to mention finish the F-84G I'm building now (Revell 1/48). My fort is going to be Hikin' for Home.

Aaron

I have some insignias from the Monogram G I can part with. I was building A Bit O Lace in the group build, but ran out of time, anyway, after a little break the filling and sanding is almost done and close to painting, and as I will be painting my insignias, I don't need the decals, let me know if you want them.

I have some insignias from the Monogram G I can part with. I was building A Bit O Lace in the group build, but ran out of time, anyway, after a little break the filling and sanding is almost done and close to painting, and as I will be painting my insignias, I don't need the decals, let me know if you want them.

Thanks rightwinger. I have the Revell insignia and I'll probably go with those (but may test them first to see what they're like). It was Jester who was looking for some so he might take you up on the offer. I'd be keen to see your painted national insignia when you get there. Have you painted insignia before?

Ian

Had a bit of time today so started on the fuselage. I've filled the starboard waist gun window and have cut out another further forward. Needs tidying up but looks OK. Will post pics when I've done a little more cleaning up and filling.

I've also decided to order the vac-form windows which include the Cheyenne tail turret, so off to visit the Hannants site now.

Cheers

Ian

Ian, I have painted insignias before, not really that hard for the US. Back on page 24 (haven't worked it in a while) is my thread for Lulu Belle, well in that thread I posted pictures of a Wildcat I had finished and it had painted on insignias, I'm hooked on that. I used the Verliniden Cheyenne mount for Miss Lace, it was frustrating to say the least, part of the reason that one still isn't finished.

Ian,

I just checked the book I have, and while it's not the definitive book on any airplane, it doesn't reference the 730th BS or the 452nd BG. Sorry.

Aaron

I have monogram insignias from a 1/48th G if you want them, I'm gonna be painting mine on

I have monogram insignias from a 1/48th G if you want them, I'm gonna be painting mine on

Thanks for the offer! I'm interested, but before I commit I'll need to check the condition of the insignia that came in my kit. Last I checked they looked brittle and thick....

Aaron

Only managed a little progress this last week. I've moved to start work on the fuselage. On the starboard side here, I've filled the waist gun position and cut a new one further forward and added the wind deflector. I've cut out the rudder and have sanded the rear half of the fuselage down and rescribed. It looks a little messy at the moment but next will be a coat of primer to see how it really looks.

Cheers. Thanks for dropping by!

Ian

Fuse1.jpg

Stunning work!

I've got one of these partially started, I've started the interior,I have moved thewaist gun position to make her a late G too, but the project is on hold.

Will be doing it in the markings of the 306th Bomb Group at Thurleigh, Bedfordshire.

Your work is inspirational!