B-17G Flying Fortress - 452nd BG

Aaron, Angelo

Thanks for your feedback guys. Hopefully I can get more done today.

Angelo ... have you decided which individual aircraft you'll be building yet? Did you choose 306th because you live near Thurleigh or for some other reason?

Ian

The plan for when I finish my B-17 is to use a back drop using a photo of Deopham Green as it is today. It won't be this image but something along these lines. I'm looking forward to dropping by the old airfield again soon, now the weather is improving, to take some photos with that in mine.

Backdrop.jpg

Aaron, Angelo

Thanks for your feedback guys. Hopefully I can get more done today.

Angelo ... have you decided which individual aircraft you'll be building yet? Did you choose 306th because you live near Thurleigh or for some other reason?

Ian

Ian I do indeed live very close to Thurleigh, and Kimbolton (379th BG) Poddington (92nd BG) and a number of other USAAF and RAF WWII bases.

I have a few ideas on which aircraft to model but, as there are no after market decals for the 306th, it will mean making them myself with blank decal film and my printer!

Its a shame the 306th are not catered for by aftermarket decals firms, they do have a lot firsts to their history.

Ian I do indeed live very close to Thurleigh, and Kimbolton (379th BG) Poddington (92nd BG) and a number of other USAAF and RAF WWII bases.

I have a few ideas on which aircraft to model but, as there are no after market decals for the 306th, it will mean making them myself with blank decal film and my printer!

Its a shame the 306th are not catered for by aftermarket decals firms, they do have a lot firsts to their history.

I have the same problem with decals, Angelo. Nothing out there for the 452nd and you may have seen earlier in this thread that I'm looking to paint nose art. It would be better to home-make decals but I just don't have the equipment needed for that. Do you use a laser printer for that? WHere do you get the decal film from?

Ian

Great job so far, Ian! I have one of these old Revell kits waiting in the wings and your work is inspiring me to get going on it. Looking forward to your next updates!

Cheers,

BD

Hey Big Daddy. Go get your B-17 out and break it open. Join in the fun!

Ian

So - starboard side with panel lines engraved and a coat of primer. A little tidying up needed and a some more filling and sanding on that filled in waist gunner window. But as the whole engraving panel lines thing was the big challenge for me (being the first time I've tried it), I'm pretty pleased.

Ian

Primer3.jpg

Primer2.jpg

Primer1.jpg

That's a project I'd like to start but the scribing job really freaks me out. Good luck for what's next, you already achieved a pretty good job :thumbsup:

Thanks for dropping by Antoine

Ian

. But as the whole engraving panel lines thing was the big challenge for me (being the first time I've tried it), I'm pretty pleased. Ian

Primer3.jpg

You should be pleased, the pnls look great!

I suppose now I'll have to give it a try; did you use a special kind of tool? or ??? getsmileyCAMPQHPO.gif

You should be pleased, the pnls look great!

I suppose now I'll have to give it a try; did you use a special kind of tool? or ??? getsmileyCAMPQHPO.gif

Thanks Steve. Mostly I used a Tamiya scriber along a flexible ruler or Dymo tape. In a few places I also used a model saw blade (in a vice grip). Others have commented that the kit shouldn't be scribed because on the real thing panels overlapped to create more a raised line. I just scribed because my preference is to have panel lines with wash for visual effect. So, don't scribe just because I did. It IS lots of work and won't give an entirely prototypical effect. One of the problems I have with raised lines is where you join fuselage halves together - I always have to fill and sand and I know I'll lose that raised detail. With scribed panel lines, you just scribe ...

Cheers.

Ian

I have the same problem with decals, Angelo. Nothing out there for the 452nd and you may have seen earlier in this thread that I'm looking to paint nose art. It would be better to home-make decals but I just don't have the equipment needed for that. Do you use a laser printer for that? WHere do you get the decal film from?

Ian

Ian, I use an inkjet printer and I get the paper from Hannants:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&code=&product_type_id=1855&scale_id=&keyword_search=clear&setPerPage=25&currency_id=

Thanks to B-17 Guy for his contructive criticism. On these B-17Gs with staggered waist guns, there was no need for wind deflectors because the windows were enclosed. So I've removed the scratchbuilt wind deflector from the starboard side and have sanded down the filled in window more where the coat of primer highlighted some raised bumps.

I've now started to look at the inside of the starboard side of the fuselage to assess what needs to be done here.

Cheers

Ian

Waist1.jpg

Inside1.jpg

Thanks Angelo. Simple when you know how! I've ordered some decal film from Hannants so I've give that a try. Need to get some Liquid Decal Film too it seems (although Hannants are out of stock). Would a coat of future do the job just as well?

Ian

I just pulled the trigger on a 1/48 B-24J. Now I have the 17, 24, and 29 in 1/48. I can't wait to start my B-17!

Aaron

Fantastic. We're lucky enough here that over at IWM Duxford, they have 2 B-17s, a B-24 and a B-29. Do you have ideas yet for how you'll finish the 17 and 24? It would be great if you could build something that was based here in Norfolk in WW2 - 96th, 100th and 452nd for B-17s and plenty to choose from with B-24s!

Ian

Soon. I've got 7 in the stash. Lol.

About to send all the info for my museum and personal builds so I can get the masks and decals made.

Anything in there from the 96th, 100th or 452nd, Bigasshammm?

Thanks Angelo. Simple when you know how! I've ordered some decal film from Hannants so I've give that a try. Need to get some Liquid Decal Film too it seems (although Hannants are out of stock). Would a coat of future do the job just as well?

Ian

I can't say that I have tried Future/Klear as a sealant.

I'd give it a test shot first as the ink from the printer will run if not sealed first, and Klear being so watery, may make it do the same.

Having been inspired by this build, I dug out my Fortress and thought you'd like to

see what I've done.

I've started on the interior mainly.

I removed the moulded detail from the fuselage, I will replace it with resin and scratch built parts.

I too have moved the starboard waist gun forward.

IMG00132-20120313-1441.jpg

IMG00131-20120313-1440.jpg

I have also removed all the crew hatches to have them posed open.

Edited by HL-10

Thanks Steve. Mostly I used a Tamiya scriber along a flexible ruler or Dymo tape. In a few places I also used a model saw blade (in a vice grip). Others have commented that the kit shouldn't be scribed because on the real thing panels overlapped to create more a raised line. I just scribed because my preference is to have panel lines with wash for visual effect. So, don't scribe just because I did. It IS lots of work and won't give an entirely prototypical effect. One of the problems I have with raised lines is where you join fuselage halves together - I always have to fill and sand and I know I'll lose that raised detail. With scribed panel lines, you just scribe ...

Cheers.

Ian

Thanks for the answer.

I just have recently gotten a Tamiya scriber so will have to use it- on something.

Seeing your results and advice, is a good primer.

It'll give me some thing to do, whenever I accidentally start making any noticeable progress in whatever I'm building . 7e86cfd3.gif