B-17G Flying Fortress - 452nd BG

Anything in there from the 96th, 100th or 452nd, Bigasshammm?

My grandfather was in the 483rd so I'm going to do one of the 1/48th Gs as a ship he flew on during the famous 15th AF Memmingen mission. Custom decals and masks. Another G is going to be built as a 487th BG plane for the local museum. They have the medals and such for the pilot and he often visits the museum, it will also be custom. I'll probably do another of the 1/72 Gs that I have as a 483rd plane. Either the same as the 48th scale one or one of the others he flew on I have all the tail numbers of aircraft he was a gunner on.

After that I have a 1/48th F I'm not sure what I'll build it into and a few other 1/72nds.

Nice blend.

pre cut strips or did you cut your own?

Can I call you "Bah" for short, Bigasshammm?!

Yes, pre-cut strips of Evergreen were used for this. I've moved on to put more detail under the new window too and a scratchbuilt oxygen hose and will post more pics when I've finished this area and added primer.

Cheers!

Ian

"You can call me Susan if it makes you happy"

Love the movie Sn atch.

Yea call me whatever Big, BAH, Kris, ***! (lol)

What size strips I'll have to pick some up and copy you.

Edited by Bigasshammm

"You can call me Susan if it makes you happy"

Love the movie Sn atch.

Yea call me whatever Big, BAH, Kris, ***! (lol)

Susanbigbahkris----that's supposed to be easer than Bigasshammm ?? Sounds65af0e6a.gifto me.

..................roflmao.gif

OK I'll go over here and be goodgetsmileyCA81AZS3.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get a little work done these past few days. Most of the detail in the port waist gun position is finished and ready for aluminium paint before the final details (oxy bottle etc) are added. Toilet has been scratch built. And I've started to detail the front end - the bombardier's station.

Having fun!

Cheers

Ian

IMG_6255.jpgIMG_6256.jpgIMG_6257.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone!

Unfortunately the B-17 has been put away for a while as I try to find my lost mojo! I have managed to make some good progress on a Hobby Boss F3 Demon (which seems to be a nice kit, goes together well and makes a nice change building a 1960s era jet) so I may post some pics of that and then hopefully I'll be in a 'better place' to come back to the B-17!

Cheers

Ian

Hi everyone!

Unfortunately the B-17 has been put away for a while as I try to find my lost mojo! I have managed to make some good progress on a Hobby Boss F3 Demon (which seems to be a nice kit, goes together well and makes a nice change building a 1960s era jet) so I may post some pics of that and then hopefully I'll be in a 'better place' to come back to the B-17!

Cheers

Ian

I feel your pain, man. The arrival of summer and it's associated activities has put a serious kink in my modelling time. Remember, this is a hobby, meant to be enjoyed at your leisure. The mojo will return.

Cheers,BD

• 6 months later...

Just pulled this off the shelf again .... I think the time has come to brave up and get working on it. I have slowly growing interest in me "452nd BG at Deopham Green" Facebook page so it will be nice to show there that a new B-17 with the square L is on the production line!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Aggressor01. I'm sure you'd be fine trying a little detailing. What I've done here isn't particularly complicated but because the kit is pretty basic and pretty big, it's taking a loooooong time!

Day off work today though so managed to get a little work done, mostly around the port wing flap area. Here are the pics...

Cheers!

IMG_7942.jpgIMG_7940.jpgIMG_7941.jpgIMG_7944.jpgIMG_7945.jpg