Seals 9, pirates 0

Why the hell did they even release info on this mission when others have come and gone with no fan-fare and not a peep from the press? Oh yeah, they have a movie coming out and it's an election year.

I'm missing something on your comment? Why would it be kept secret? Doesn't rescuing civilian hostages generally get coverage in the press? Are you saying that if it wasn't an election year, no one would report it? I just don't see that being true.

We're still the best! If you remotely have a problem with the USA, watch out!

USA USA USA USA USA

Don't mess with the good ole US of A, people. If any of those imported beer drinking, soccer watching, commie terrorists even have a remote problem with the USA, they best be ducking for cover.

Pretty intense mission. Parachute insertion, they got into a firefight but still managed to get both hostages out unharmed. Well done!

If you hear its a parachute insertion its usually BS by the way. If that Bin Laden Raid stealth heli hadn't gone down they would have claimed "parachute insertion." The Somali pirate thing from a couple years back also claimed "parachute insertion" (with weapons, into the water) when Navy ships have these whacky things called helipads on the back, why on earth would you take highly trained men and throw them out the back of a transport plane? The SEALs used to say "If you have to jump, find another way" I think they claim "parachute insertion" as inside joke.

SPECOPS are in no hurry to share how they get into and out of places and the things they do while there.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

The SEALs are definately on a roll. Who's next!

Hopefully they will next take out the NY Giants.

With regard to whether or not they jumped or were inserted in another fashion, who knows? I agree that we do occasionally release disinformation and personally, I think that is nothing but a good thing. There should be no need to provide details on our methods, so unless we see a bunch of parachute canopies on the ground there, I'll withhold judgement.

I also have a problem with identifying the shooters as Seal Team 6 (btw, I thought they no longer even went by that designation). That is going to make life pretty hard for any SEAL that has the misfortune to be captured in the future.

I think it would be better to follow the Israeli example and neither confirm nor deny that we were even involved in an operation.

It was actually a daring daylight raid on elephant back :coolio: I think a part of it is really for our consumption We like the idea of parachutes and sexy james bond commandos, firefights and all. My mom called me excitedly telling me all about the story she had read in people of how the SEALs killed the pirates and rescued the captain. The whole thing from start to finish was BS. I loved the end result don't get me wrong. but thats not what happened. She ate it up.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

My mom called me excitedly telling me all about the story she had read in people of how the SEALs killed the pirates and rescued the captain. The whole thing from start to finish was BS. I loved the end result don't get me wrong. but thats not what happened.

If I could ask - what did happen?

I thought it was pretty much as the news covered it. SEAL's shoot, bad guys drop, the good captain becomes a hero.

If you hear its a parachute insertion its usually BS by the way. If that Bin Laden Raid stealth heli hadn't gone down they would have claimed "parachute insertion." The Somali pirate thing from a couple years back also claimed "parachute insertion" (with weapons, into the water) when Navy ships have these whacky things called helipads on the back, why on earth would you take highly trained men and throw them out the back of a transport plane? The SEALs used to say "If you have to jump, find another way" I think they claim "parachute insertion" as inside joke.

SPECOPS are in no hurry to share how they get into and out of places and the things they do while there.

It is still something they train to do. I am in agreement that they probably did NOT do such a thing here, but I could see it potentially done. Say you fly a plane over a drop zone at high altitude on a normal path used by airliners or cargo planes, sqwaking a civilian transponder code so as not to draw attention, then you can do a nice HALO jump over the target with special forces (which would be almost invisible to radar, assuming Somalia had anything even approaching decent radar anymore). They get in, do the job, then get extracted by a helicopter. That potentially means the copter doesn't need to come in, deploy and hold there, or deploy, head back, and another heads in possibly tipping off the irregulars on the ground to the sound of rotorblades overhead and trying to bring one down with MANPADs and any number of small arms (which would create enough of a racket in and of itself to potentially tip off the men in the compound that something is up).

Just because something is not the optimal solution doesn't mean you don't keep it in your back pocket and don't ever use it. Plus, as the Bin Laden raid showed, the fancy high tech approach can sometimes not work as one of those fancy "stealth" Blackhawks ended up going down and having to be scuttled (which left a bit more of a footprint than the Pentagon wanted).

So parachute jumps might be the SPECOPs equivalent of using Tim Tebow as QB running the option for the Denver Broncos, but hey, the approach sometimes works best as it keeps the bad guys guessing as to what the good guys are going to do.

If I could ask - what did happen?

I thought it was pretty much as the news covered it. SEAL's shoot, bad guys drop, the good captain becomes a hero.

I'm not trying to BS you John, I am not going to disclose it here. but it didn't happen the way the news reported it. So that may sound like me trying to be smart or look cool but its not. I actually had written a post that explained what happened; thought better of it, and erased my words before posting. But I want you to try and think about how hard it is to synch up multiple snipers on a moving ship(s) firing at another moving boat at exactly the same instant in a situation that leaves no room for error and how that may not be the best solution.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

They should have claimed it was the US Postal Service, they could use some good PR. It would show people they were serious about mail fraud. :thumbsup:

A whole new meaning to the phrase "Going Postal" ... :thumbsup:

Gregg

But I want you to try and think about how hard it is to synch up multiple snipers on a moving ship(s) firing at another moving boat at exactly the same instant in a situation that leaves no room for error and how that may not be the best solution.

I sailed around the Pacific in yacht, in some places where there was the possiblity we would come into contact with Indonesian pirates. So we practiced shooting tin cans dangling from the mast, during the doldrums. Even on a flat ocean, I cannot imagine being very successful sniping in this situation - you're moving, your target is moving in a reasonably unpredictable manner. When I heard about the situation you mention above, I was pretty dumbfounded and my admiration for the team went up dramatically.