1/72nd Lancaster LM-178 BH-U "Uncle"

• 2 months later...

Well, it has been a long time coming, but this build is finally finished. With the advent of summer and spending long hours working on the restoration of Lancaster FM212, it has been a challenge finding time for modelling, but, tonight I put the finishing touches on LM178. Some of you sharp-eyed rivet counters will note that the serial number reads LM179. That is in deference to my friend Sam, the rear gunner and only surviving member of U-Uncle. His memory isn't the best any more and he is adamant that LM179 is the correct serial. Rather than shove all the evidence in his face and make a scene about it, I am going with that. After all, this is intended as a gift to Sam. So, to the crew of U-Uncle and all those other brave men of air who did or did not return from their last mission, this is my small tribute to your courage and sacrifice.

7512428182_b5e094db23_b.jpg

7512427822_59cb68a029_b.jpg

7512426950_3ac7628dee_b.jpg

7512428568_1f40ce6c11_b.jpg

Edited by Big Daddy

I decided to do a bit more weathering on the Lanc before I give it to Sam. I used chalk pastel dust and a small brush to highlight the panel lines. Please give feedback, positive or negative. Thanks!

BD

7545619362_4ca07a5b3a_b.jpg

You've made a grand job of that, :woot.gif: I am sure he will be bowled over by it. I would be.

-----------

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it. And, I am really looking forward to visiting your fair land this September!

Don

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it. And, I am really looking forward to visiting your fair land this September!

Don

That is nice of you. By that are you coming to Scotland? if so there is an Airshow at RAF Leuchars on the 15th of September near St Andrews (the home of golf, easy to find) in Fife

if you find yourself near. Well I hope the weather will be a bit better for you when you are here, there has been a fair bit of rain over here this summer.

-----------------

That is nice of you. By that are you coming to Scotland? if so there is an Airshow at RAF Leuchars on the 15th of September near St Andrews (the home of golf, easy to find) in Fife

if you find yourself near. Well I hope the weather will be a bit better for you when you are here, there has been a fair bit of rain over here this summer.

-----------------

Yup. England, Ireland and Scotland. We have two weeks from Sept. 1-16th so it looks like timing is poor for the Airshow. :angry:

Fingers crossed for better weather.

:cheers:

Don

Yup. England, Ireland and Scotland. We have two weeks from Sept. 1-16th so it looks like timing is poor for the Airshow. :angry:

Fingers crossed for better weather.

:cheers:

Don

Oh, that's a shame, not to worry, I am sure & hope you will have a great time over here. :thumbsup:

----------------

I decided to do a bit more weathering on the Lanc before I give it to Sam. I used chalk pastel dust and a small brush to highlight the panel lines. Please give feedback, positive or negative. Thanks!

That's a nice improvement to a well-done effort. Your panel highlighting gives the model depth.

It's a fine gift to Sam, and a tribute to the crew of U for Uncle.

That's a nice improvement to a well-done effort. Your panel highlighting gives the model depth.

It's a fine gift to Sam, and a tribute to the crew of U for Uncle.

Thanks for your comments, David!

Don

Don,

Sorry for not seeing this sooner. We were out of town on vacation and today is the first opportunity to view the forums in depth.

The results of your efforts are truly remarkable. The finish is very realistic. It's not overdone and very believable. I'm sure Sam will be very grateful for receiving such a wonderful gift. Great work.

Well done, sir.

Mike

Don,

Sorry for not seeing this sooner. We were out of town on vacation and today is the first opportunity to view the forums in depth.

The results of your efforts are truly remarkable. The finish is very realistic. It's not overdone and very believable. I'm sure Sam will be very grateful for receiving such a wonderful gift. Great work.

Well done, sir.

Mike

hey Mike,

Thanks a bunch for your kind comments. Hope you had a great vacation!

Cheers,

Don