Best airplane modeller journals ?

Sorry to say SAMI has lost me a bit lately; it was always my preference for the heads-up on new products but the proliferation of internet-based sources has kinda overtaken the printed word for this...also, some of the build articles and reviews seem to have become a little cursory nowadays.

The only other title I regularly look at is AIR Modeller, a bi-monthly that always seems to feature the loveliest builds by the greatest talents in the business (Diego Quijano, John Vojtec, Franck Oudin, Julien Haccoun et al). It is a luxurious box-bound thing that justifies its steep cover price by carrying no adverts whatsoever, and is definitely a 'grown-up' read!

The only other title I regularly look at is AIR Modeller, a bi-monthly that always seems to feature the loveliest builds by the greatest talents in the business (Diego Quijano, John Vojtec, Franck Oudin, Julien Haccoun et al). It is a luxurious box-bound thing that justifies its steep cover price by carrying no adverts whatsoever, and is definitely a 'grown-up' read!

+1, AIR modeller rocks. Unfortunately I can't find it here but I look forward to going back to the UK soon and get a copy :)

Arnaud

Model Airplanes International is the best one, hands down. Good pictures, new kits, good quality of the builds. I have always felt the quality of pictures and builds in SAMI is a bit low. Some builds are borderline to ridiculous if you ask me... Remember Fw-190 (or was it Ta-152?) from a time back in that magazine, really badly built. Not to sound elitist, but if i pay 60 £ i kinda expect quality builds and pictures. In older version some pictures were horrific, taken in a darkest corner of the room by cellphone.

News wise they are okish, but i remember they had pictures of Jaguar resin test shot (posted by song, here on ARC for example) and they said the producer and scale is unknown...

+1, AIR modeller rocks. Unfortunately I can't find it here but I look forward to going back to the UK soon and get a copy :)

Arnaud

Another thing I like about this title is that if you don't need all the articles in a given issue (or can't get hold of it!) you can buy, quite cheaply, individual articles to download as a .pdf from the AM website.

Edited by ChippyWho

I like SAMI, SAM, and Military Illustrated Modeller, but I like tanks a bit too, so MIM's Aircraft-Armor-Aircraft-Armor bi-monthly format is really attractive to me. But you can subscribe to just the aircraft issues.