Hello all, for this build I will be building Hasegawa's 1/72 B-47E Stratojet dressed in the 97th Bomb Wing's markings that it wore when it was deployed to RAF Upper Hayford in the spring of 1956. Kit will be built OOB and common markings will be augmented from an aftermarket decal sheet. For the unit markings, I will be making them from scratch.

01252012532.jpg

Edited by bashace

Pre-assembling all the subassemblies, the easy part (just about every seam will need lots of attention). Will be a miracle if any of the raised detail will be intact when it's ready for paint.

01272012535.jpg

Wow! And I thought the 1/72 XB-70 took a lot of time and effort with the putty and wetsanding. Here she is with the 3rd primer and putty phase, I think one more time will be the ticket, down to just using Mr Surfacer now instead of putty.

02042012556.jpg

02042012557.jpg

Edited by bashace
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, B-47 got a time slot in between some of my other GB projects. Here she is with her Vallejo Aluminum skin, I found that Future doesn't like this metallic for some reason, she got a curtousy Windex bath due to the Future repelling from the paint. If anyone knows the secret between Future and Vallejo Aluminum, please let me know.

02202012646.jpg

Edited by bashace

A little more progress, finally got the 97th BW specific markings done to the best of my abilities. Printed on Experts-Choice Inkjet Decal Film using an HP Photosmart 7510. Just need to airbrush a couple coats of Microscale Decal Film over the top and they should be good to go. Made extra's in case something goes wrong. I'll trim the title off the badges when I cut them out for applying.

03032012662.jpg

Edited by bashace

Thanks Pete. It's a fairly easy kit to build, just real challenging to retain any of the raised detail on the engine nacelles due to the amount of sanding that is required right next to the raised details.

Had a little bit of time to do a little decaling (needed to take a break from my other GB kits), one from the Warbirds sheet and the homemade serial number on the wing tanks.

03102012666.jpg