Bear Hunting Alaskan Eagle

Hello everyone,

I've taken time off my primary project of the KC-135R and started working on the venerable Monogram F-15A in 1/48 scale for this GB. My aircraft will be an Eagle based out of Elmendorf AFB, AK. Originally, I thought I would be doing this kit OOB, however, I have decided that this project will be mostly OOB, though not a true OOB work. I have started with the usual place, the cockpit. The kit ejection seat wasn't stellar by any stretch of the imagination. I believe the original F-15's were equipped with ESCAPAC ejection seats, but were later fitted with the ACES II. The ejection seat with the kit appears to be a crude representation of the ESCAPAC seat. I robbed my spares box of a much better looking ACES II left over from the Revell F-15E, painted it up and washed it. I also robbed the spares box of a pilot figure that was of a little better quality than the kit offering. I cut the oxygen hose off and made my own with copper telephone wire, chopped the pilot's legs off below the knees (OUCH!) and positioned one hand on the throttle and one on the stick. There are a few touch-ups to do yet, but the overall results of the pilot/ejection seat combination are below:

F-15APilot.jpg

I also began construction of the rest of the aircraft. I had decided early on that this would be my first in-flight model and would be mounted on a clear rod with a decorative wooden base and configured as a Zulu Alert aircraft with four AIM-9 Sidewinders, 4 AIM-7 Sparrows, and one centerline tank. My thought was to make it appear as though this aircraft were intercepting a Russian Tu-95 Bear bomber.

While I don't have any in-progress construction photos, here is the current state of affairs:

F-15ATopView.jpg

F-15ABottomView.jpg

You can see the hole drilled in the bottom of the Eagle for the support rod. I have quite a few seams to fill, and as you may have noticed, I've also re-positioned the inner control surfaces on the wings and rudders on the aircraft.

Once I have more work done, I'll update. Thanks for checking in.

:cheers:

Justin

• 3 weeks later...