Hi Pete

Nice job so far, can't get enough Phantoms.

The pic you posted of the ECM pod has an additional benefit for my F-4E build, as I am putting AGM-65's on my build, but I couldn't locate pictures. I knew they tended to fly with 2 a side, but which pylon was empty? Thanks for providing the answer.

Ted

It looks great indeed! But with that messy workbench, I fear that you might break something or spill thinner on it :whistle:

Thanks Shawn and Clement. Don't worry about the thinner, I keep that on a different desk, but yes, I occasionally break something with all that mess on my workbench. But somehow I can't keep my workbench clean and organised. It's just how I work, I guess.

Light wash has been applied:

P4150926.jpg

Looking Good!

Question: Is this bird parked or flying? The reason I ask is that if it's parked, you need that little gun vent on the starboard side of the front fuselage popped up. If it's flying, never mind! :P

Thanks!

Yeah, it's going to be on the ground, and that little vent should be open. But I fear that's beyond my scratchbuilding capabilities right now.

Although.... I could try to make something....

Man, you and your eye for detail, it's contagious! :D

Thanks!

Yeah, it's going to be on the ground, and that little vent should be open. But I fear that's beyond my scratchbuilding capabilities right now.

Although.... I could try to make something....

Man, you and your eye for detail, it's contagious! :D

If that's the case, I recommend maybe some soda can aluminum cut and bend into shape. If you made a little shape like this, \I_I/ ....and bend the vertical lines at 90 degrees with a sharp tool like a razor blade, you would have something almost perfect for scale at 1/48. If you like what you see after assembly, then you can just glue it on from inside so that there's no mess on the outside- painted of course. If it looks like crap, then just forget about it and only goofs like me will notice. :P

There's a good pic of one here for reference:

http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Phantom/Images/2940.jpg

With the major painting now done, it's time to work on the small stuff again. I added some wires in the cockpit:

P4180928.jpg

Pretty pleased with it so far, I only need to add some sort of valve thingie on the left in the rear IP, and two mirrors. The front will be a bit more problematic, since I forgot to put the HUD in place before glueing the windscreen on.

P4180931.jpg

Also been working on the exhausts. These are simply great.

P4180934.jpg

Thanks Wayne.

As said before, I forgot to add the LCOS before glueing the windscreen on. So I carefully removed the windscreen piece again, and added a PE LCOS from Eduard which I had in my spares box. I also added a little guncamera and a magnetic compass to the windscreen. After that, I was able to glue the windscreen back, without any damage to the paint.

P4210941.jpg

And here's a shot of my progress on the seats. I'm not too happy with the color of the cushions. Anyone got a suggestion?

P4210938.jpg

OK, here's my attempt at the gun gas venting door, with some soda can aluminium. Not bad, I think:

P4210942.jpg

I still need to paint it, of course :D

And it's on its wheels!

P4210944.jpg

Edited by Pete

I repainted the seats, and they look much better now, I think. Also slowly adding the final bits to the build, as you can see the AN/ALQ-119 has been glued in place, and much closer now to the plane than before.

P4241131.jpg

P4241129.jpg

Well, I did consider a couple AIM-4's and maybe some AIM-7's, but on most pics they didn't carry anything at all, so I just added the AN/ALQ-119 and called it a day. Besides, I don't have any AIM-4's in my stash anyway. ;)