A Tale of Two Tomcats

So the wife is going out of town to see her family for a week, which leaves me some rare free time to build something. I am going to make the most of it by building two Tomcats side by side. I have read a lot of back and forth about which is the better 1/48 cat for the price, Academy or Revell, so I picked up both (Not trying to tackle Hasegawas in 1 week). I will be posting progress here so critiques and comments are welcome (without starting a war).

They are essentially the same build. The Academy kit is based on the Revell kit. The Academy kit has recessed lines, but the front fuselage section is a bit fat. Steel Beach just released a nose correction which helps the overall look of the Academy kit. In the end, they both build up pretty nicely. I did an article in FSM about some shortcuts for the R/M kit which can also be used on the Academy kit. It's a free download at Finescale.com, but for the life of me I can never find it. Hopefully someone will chime in with the address for it. If you have any questions, feel free to post. I've built a few of them in my modeling career. :whistle: Here's one of many:

2f14.jpg

Darren, thanks for the hot tip - if I find it I will be sure to post it on here. I did order the Steel Beach corrected nose for the Academy bird. I've also got some Verlinden seats that I'm going to put in there. Otherwise it OOB with Superscale Decals for both. BTW - your bird looks fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...

OOB cockpits, Verlinden Seats all painted and awaiting a wash. Intake trunks painted white

20120202182252.jpg

20120204091553.jpg

20120204091648.jpg

20120204114122.jpg

Now trying to decide if I want to cut the gears off of the wings or attempt to follow the instructions...

Edited by godfrey1775
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry its been a while - wife, work and whatnot gets in the way. Updates are fuselage halves together, Steel Beach replacement nosecone attached and sanded, whole thing is primed with Mr Surfacer 1200 and panel lines preshaded. I rescribed the detail on the forward fuselage, something I have never tried before but pretty happy with the results. I used the old dymo tape and scriber method that I read on here and it worked like a charm.

20120219175717.jpg

Sub assemblies completed and painted, along with the Vert Stabs and wings which still need the gears cut off. Hopefully applying the first coat of medium gray tonight for the VF-84 CAG bird

20120219175731.jpg

Edited by godfrey1775

Godfrey, that's coming along nicely. She is looking great. Can't wait to see her painted. I built one of these for my son to play with and have a couple more in the stash for myself. Darren's article was a real life saver when I was putting it together. Thanks Darren for putting that article together and sharing it.

Cameron

• 1 month later...