Red Bull Air Racer Skims The Water

You know I'm surprised one of these guys hasn't crashed yet. They put those airframes under severe stress for about 5 minutes and are so close to the water.

Interesting to watch but I can't really get into it that much. I much prefer air racing like the Reno races with the bigger aircraft.

They're definitely amazing pilots though.

:D, Great effort to recover from what could have been a fatal mistake and a great and humble effort to admit the mistake publicly. I've just finished watching a video from last years Avalon Airshow in which Matt was interviewed. He joined the RAAF as a teenager and went straight onto F/A-18s from flying school and resigned 18 years after joining as a Wing Commander to pursue his racing career. That's not a bad effort, from cadet to WGCDR in 18 years, there are few that get to that rank in such a short time, and he himself said he's had a very privileged aviation career. His FCI (Fighter Combat Instructor) training probably came in handy for the situation shown on the video.

:cheers:,

Ross.

The gentleman who heads the Red Bull races testified before the NTSB with other members of the airshow and air racing community. His presentation was something to hear. In his opinion, the US has the best policies and practices for such events. Red Bull Air Races has had no fatal accidents!

If you have the interest, listening to the day of testimony is worth listening to.

:D, Jennings, I know that you're also a pilot and driver. Have you never accidentally got yourself into a potentially fatal situation? Or had someone else put you in such a situation? I know I have accidentally put myself in at least one potentially fatal situation while I was flying and at least one situation was thrust upon me by another pilot doing what she shouldn't have been doing. There have been many, many situations on the road that I've got myself into that could have been fatal and many more that have been thrust upon me by others on the road.

What got us out of those situations? Skill and experience and a cool head and the ability to make the right decision in a split second. When you're sideways in front of a semi-trailer doing 70 mph caused by a driver yakking to her girlfriend and not concentrating on the road you have to think pretty quickly and calmly. We all make mistakes and I think it was pretty gracious of Matt to admit his goofup as he did. No matter what nationality the pilot was, if he'd got out of that situation and then humbly admitted he goofed he has my deepest and humblest respect.

:cheers:,

Ross.

Edited for typos.

Edited by ross blackford