Revellogram 1/48 Mi-24 question

Hi all,

Planning to build a 48th Mi-24 Hind from Revell (Monogram tooling, I suppose).

2 questions before I spend my dough on the kit:

1. Is the asymmetric "twist" to the Hind's fuselage present on the kit?

2. Is the cockpit accuracy decent, or is it more of a vague representation of the real thing?

I ask because I also have half a mind to save up just a little longer to buy the 1/35 Trumpeter offering, instead of the Revell one with the associated resin.

Help is much appreciated.

1. Is the asymmetric "twist" to the Hind's fuselage present on the kit?

No and the tail is also to short. The tail is easier to fix, the twist is not.

2. Is the cockpit accuracy decent, or is it more of a vague representation of the real thing?

I don't think it is that great but it's been awhile since I looked at it. It would also depend on what version/scheme you are planning on.

I would go with the Trumpeter kit in 1/35 or the Zvezda kit in 1/72 for a more accurate Hind OOB and less need for aftermarket parts.

HTH

I have the Zvezda kit on order now. Looks spectacular, if a little small.

Thanks for the advice!

EDIT: I'm not so sure about the base camouflage colour of the Russian Hinds though- it seems to vary from a Middlestone-type dark yellow with a bit of green, to something resembling RAF Sky. Would either colour accurately represent the Hind's base camo colour?

Edited by nitevision92

Hi all,

The cockpit somewhat resembles an MI-24 cockpit but is not terribly accurate. The basics are there, but there's a lot missing. Remember, the "Cold War" was still cold when this kit was tooled, and there weren't a lot of available references. Cobra Co. make a nice resin replacement.

If you want 1/48, this is really your only choice. There is also the MiniHobby kit, which appears to be basically a copy of the Monogram kit (short tailboom and all) with recessed panel lines. However, it's missing the 'boilerplate' rivets that are present on the real Hind, and seems to have less detail in area's like the rotor head.

I have the Trumpy kit and like it a lot. If you do some judicious shopping, you can get it for a pretty reasonable price (I paid about $50 for mine, brand new).

I have built the revellogram Hind twice and it builds up into a pretty nice representation of the Hind. Sure it has some shortcomings as far as accuracy is concerned, but the average person would never notice and it looks great on the shelf. It is definately one of the kits that gets a "wow" factor from friends because it just looks mean. I do wish there were other options for this bird in 1/48 because the trumpy 1/35 is HUGE and 1/72 just dosent do it justice. As far as colors, the Soviets and other operators used a huge range and possibilities are plenty, with some really interesting schemes out there. A lot more reference material than you would think as well, you just have to look a little harder for it. Good luck!

I was givent his kit for Christmas, looking forward to building it myself. I've seen Cobra COmany's aftermarket parts and I am definitely going to be looking into them, bu on another note, any suggestions on decals for the kit?

I was givent his kit for Christmas, looking forward to building it myself. I've seen Cobra COmany's aftermarket parts and I am definitely going to be looking into them, bu on another note, any suggestions on decals for the kit?

Linden Hill has a number of schemes.

http://www.lindenhillimports.com/lindenhilldecals.htm

Also Zotz

http://www.zotzdecals.com/reviews/zotz48013/zotz48013.htm

I have the Cobra Company resin extras and they are adequate.... a bit sloppy(lots of bubbles, broken pieces and details left in the mold)and the packaging is very sloppy(all bits crammed into a small bag) but there isnt anything else out there.... I managed to get the instrument panels in PE from PART as well as alot of other PE details.... Aside from that it seems like you can get a decent model out of it.... but the Trumpy one is light years better,,,, and theres lots of AM for it