Anyone have this happen to them?

Well the last months work is pretty much now toast.

I wrapped up the decaling job 2 days ago with a seal coat of Gunze Mr. Color satin clear. Went on nice and looked sharp. That was until the next day when I came back to carry on finishing the gear. As you can see from the shots below, any decal that was in the vertical position is now saggy and droopy. No melting or wrinkling like we would normally expect, just a tragic case of melting.

A few of the kit decals also melted, but for the most part they survived, as did some of the rivet decals from Mike Grants line. I must say that in 25 yrs I have only ever had one sort of case like this, but the paint crinkled not the decals.

Any words of wisdom from the group?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

What thinner did you use?

Being a lacquer the decals not being sealed you would have to lay your flat cote on in very thin layers, the Lacquer in the paint was probably too much for the unprotected decal, as mentioned a layer of Future would have helped.

Curt

I'm sorry to see this; but I have never seen this before. These decals were printed by Microscale, and they work very well with a variety of softening solutions and varnishes. I tend to agree with others; it looks like the lacquer varnish was too strong.

I've completely sold out of full sheets, but send me a PM and I will try to find you a partial replacement set if I can.

Thanks for the offer of a helping decal. I bought 2 sets in the first place. 1 to use, 2nd for the collection.

I did not seal the kit off with future, as I had used gunze's products right from the base coat up. Did the same thing on a few Reapers with your decals as well. No issues popped up with them. It's only vertical surface that got the funky wave going. Ah well I'll strip this one and try some of the other nations decals I guess.

I'm looking forward to the next run of cdn birds, so drop me a note when they are ready.

I've completely sold out of full sheets, but send me a PM and I will try to find you a partial replacement set if I can.

Feel for you bud, you can have my Canadian decals as I'm using the Hellenic option. Send me your address.

I notice you have a tail sitter as well. I had to put in 50g of lead into my one to get it sitting right.

Hello!

MrСolor products work perfectly with the SScale decals. There is a bug in the application technology of lacquer. The first layer or two should be fine and well dried. Then a thick layer to shine

Likely to damage caused by the first thick layer of varnish.

Regards, Anton

I decaled my Texan last night using a mix of Caracal and Ibex decals, put down using Micro Set and Micro Sol and I have no problems to report. I'm impressed by how well the Caracal decals went on especially the White cheat line which I was a bit apprehensive about. My only gripe is that the White within the Hellenic roundels isn't opaque enough and the underlying Blue can just be seen through the decal. With the decal crossing the demarcation of the White/Blue maybe a White backing disc would've been a good idea. However very happy overall with them :thumbsup:

T6TexanII038.jpg

T6TexanII039.jpg

T6TexanII042.jpg

T6TexanII041.jpg

T6TexanII040.jpg

Thanks for the tip. It is most likely that I did rush the dry time between the 2 coats I did.

The HAF model is looking great. It's a nice model except for the canopy quality, the caracal decals are great to work with too.

Hello!

MrСolor products work perfectly with the SScale decals. There is a bug in the application technology of lacquer. The first layer or two should be fine and well dried. Then a thick layer to shine

Likely to damage caused by the first thick layer of varnish.

Regards, Anton