Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
Mike C

1/72 F/A-18B Blue Angels

Recommended Posts

Wasn't aware that this GB was actually going ahead.... Thanks Ross for letting me know! :cheers:

I started working on this little bird a few weeks ago. Because I've already started an "In Progress" thread (CLICKY!), I thought I'd just keep updating that thread, and simply bump this thread every time I update the other one.

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:D, No problems Mike and welcome to the build. I was hoping you'd be around soon seeing as this GB was your idea in the first place. Your Angels F/A-18 is looking pretty good there mate. I know that jaundiced yellow colour has something to do with the BA markings but at this stage it does look a bit weird.

:cheers:,

Ross.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just sprayed the first layer of blue paint tonight.

IMG_4605.jpg

I actually tried to create paper masks, but it was too hard, so I abandoned the idea. I certainly hope the CAM Pro decal is opaque enough so that the blue won't show through.... :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did the burner quite a while ago but kept forgetting to upload the pics.

IMG_4607.jpg

Used a piece of paper to sand off a couple of areas where some stray lint ended up on the surface during spraying and got trapped in, then sprayed 2nd layer of blue coat.

IMG_4606.jpg

I did this at least 2 months ago. Have not had the chance to put in more bench time since then due to ridiculous work load and travel lots, including spending 2 weeks in Sillicon Valley! Just got back in Oz last Sunday morning. Jet lag is still killing me!

'Later! :cheers::thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just started applying some of the decals. I'm so happy to learn that the CAM Pro decals are quite opaque. None of the blue actually showed thru.

Sorry, no pics yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The spine decal was an absolute disaster!!! :angry:

As soon as I saw the decal, I knew it would be bloody hard to apply it properly, and I was RIGHT! It probably would've been much easier to mask and spray, and the result would've been much better!

IMG_4614.jpg

IMG_4615.jpg

IMG_4616.jpg

I'm gonna try to touch up with paint and see how it looks. If it looks like crap (which I'm sure it will), I'll probably strip out the decal and paint instead. DANG IT! :bandhead2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like I'll have to completely get rid off the decal. After leaving it for a few hours to settle down, there are a couple of places where air bubbles had formed, despite using Tamiya Mark Fit generously when I applied the decals. Oh well... I'm not looking forward to the masking.... :bandhead2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sprayed quite a few layers of Blue Angels Yellow on the spine over the last few days, at least 5. I think it's ready to be unmasked... Although I gotta say, I'm a bit apprehensive... I might wait for the last layer that I just sprayed on a few mins ago to cure for a few hours, maybe overnight, before unmasking...

IMG_4618.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got too many threads going, forgot to keep this one updated. :whistle:

Finished this project. Check out the finished pics in the GB parking thread and/or The Display Case thread HERE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...