In the works: 1/48 JASDF/JMSDF UH-60J

I have several new projects in the works now, in addition to the previously announced sheets (F-100,P-51,F-101,Pakistani aircraft etc.) which are close to being released. One of these will cover the UH-60J Rescue Hawk in Japanese Air Self Defense Force and Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force service; in 1/48 scale.

These helicopters have been in Japanese service for many years and have been central to search & rescue activities in the recent disaster that affected Japan. My decals will cover the JMSDF white/red scheme as well as the old JASDF white/yellow scheme and the newer blue camo scheme. There will be optional base "nameplates" and serial numbers so it will be possible to build any JASDF Kyuunantai in the old white/yellow style: Matsushima,Hamamatsu,Niigata,Nyutabaru,Chitose, etc..

There is going to be more to this sheet-watch this space for updates. And who knows, there may be a new UH-60J conversion set being worked on somewhere. Not that I know something, of course. <_<

Here is an early draft showing the three basic schemes. These are *drafts* so don't bother pointing out missing stencils or markings, etc. This is going to be complete sometime in March, and I will update this thread as the design progresses.

caracal_uh60draft.png

Edited by KursadA

I really like the look of the blue camo, any chance we'll see these scaled down to 1/72?

I don't know at this time. Both Hasegawa and Fujimi's 1/72 UH-60J kits already come with decals for standard markings in their various reboxings.

Both Hasegawa and Fujimi's 1/72 UH-60J kits already come with decals for standard markings in their various reboxings.

Yeah, but of crappy quality and without the rescue squadron badges (Fujimi). Try to find a shop or distributor in Japan and these decals will be gone before you can say 'arrigato', especially in 1/72.....

Yeah, but of crappy quality and without the rescue squadron badges (Fujimi). Try to find a shop or distributor in Japan and these decals will be gone before you can say 'arrigato', especially in 1/72.....

I will think about it. I already have a distributor in Japan, where my Tracker decals (with JMSDF options) sold very well.

The UH-60J sheet will include at least one or two special schemes when finished. One of these will be the 50th anniversary scheme of the Matsushima Kyuunantai, which featured a famous anime character with a flowing cape. I am still working on the cape, but here is a more or less complete draft to give you an idea.

uh60j_anniv1.png

Looking forward on these! JASDF helicopters have the most striking schemes, if you include the CH-47J I could buy the entire production run hehehe! And I concur with rustywelder's comment on doing a 1/72 series, there are too many kits to play with, not only JASDF but also JMSDF and a bunch of Tokyo police machines.

I'll throw my request in the ring for these decals to be released in 1/72! I especially like the special schemes you are thinkig of including. I also have a few of the Hasegawa UH-60J kits in 1/72 and I know your decals will look a lot better. Like the others have said, these will sell like hot cakes if they are released in 1/72 in Japan. Hope you decide to do these decals in 1/72!!!! :pray:

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:

• 1 year later...

Now one year later...any news about that amazing project??

What about the Skunkmodel HH 60 J Jayhawk? Is it already a good basic for the HH 60 J? Sure, the tanks are missing, that these are in the Italeri SOA kit. But I still miss the bulged windows, also the bulged front door windows.