Looking for EF-101 photos

Hi there.

I'm looking for photos of the CF-101 EWF (EF-101) all black voodoo 101067. Specifically, if anyone has one, the area around the starboard side canopy and the stencil placards. Google's showing me the same three photos.

thanks

David

Thanks. I've seen that one. I miss wrote on the first post, meant port side. There's a placard right behind the ID like that (as near as I can tell) is only on the EF-101. I have one photo that is just barely clear enough to tell me there's 5 lines of text, but I can't read the text.

Also, starboard side down under the roundel. I have one photo of that area but some dudes head is right exactly infront of the placard. So I can see CAUTION... then nothing else.

thanks

Since the lower placard on the right side is near the armament door location perhaps it's a warning that the door rotates? On the 067 the arm't door was positioned to have the Genie side down so that a pylon could be added to carry the ALE-2 chaff dispenser.

edit: check this thread for the placard on the port side:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=118202

Jari

Edited by Finn

Dave,

I've put this project off to the side for a bit..... Got a headache looking for info. I'll go through some of my stuff that I have gathered to see if I can answer the questions you have.

:cheers:

Emil

Ahhh cool... thanks for the link I searched EF-101 and didn't get any relavent returns...this forum search doesn't seem to work very well sometimes.

Anyway... thanks that's very helpful.

The lower placard under the roundel is yellow in all my photos. The Armement markings is white and generally on the other side. So I'm not sure that's the armament stencil.

thanks

David

I still think the placard on the lower right has to do arm't door since that is the only thing in that area of note. During normal operation when the door rotates to the Genie side, there are two aft latch pins that extend from just aft of the door into the door itself to give it more stability when the rockets are launched, plus micro switch are made completing the firing circuit. After firing the pins retract and the arm't door rotates back to the AIM-4D side. My guess is the aft latch pins were extended and the caution placard warns to retract the pins before trying to rotate the door. Warning notices warn of injury or death. Caution ones warn of damage to equipment.

Yes i know the Armament placard was on the port side, when we didn't have a rag we sometimes used one of the seat straps to clean it after downloading the weapons. :rolleyes:

Edit: one other thing that placard could be since it’s near the refuelling door. Prior to refuelling, Door 24, a small red panel on the right side just behind the arm’t door had to be closed and then opened before removing the refuelling hose. It was also opened before the a/c shutdown after flight and closed after engine start. If it was left closed when power was applied, the a/c could vent fuel, the vents were just aft of the intake. Perhaps the placard cautions to open/close Door 24?

Jari

Edited by Finn

David:

I could check on the North Bay 101 on the pylon and see if any of those panels are present? I realize it's not the American bird, but it might be worth taking a look!

I may have to scrape some bird poop off though!

alvin5182

Edited by alvin5182

Hi Alvin.

Photos of the faux EF-101 at North Bay show that all the placards have been removed or were not present when they repainted. I don't know why museums and gate guards always have those removed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canuckwithacamera/341087893/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canuckwithacamera/341800788/

Thanks for the offer though.

I still think the placard on the lower right has to do arm't door since that is the only thing in that area of note.

This is the closest thing I have to a clear photo of the placard under the roundel

placard_1.jpg

CAUTION

Something is even underlined.

I'm sure that is probably door 256 although that doesn't tell me what the placard says :)... Also, as far as I know EF-101 didn't have any weapons (the EWF gear was slung from the rotating door). So I'm thinking this was specific to this aircraft.

Hi David,

I have a number of old slides of this aircraft. I just finished up a move, so most of my collection is packed away, but if you can give me some time, I may be able to help you out. :cheers:

Hi there.

Anything you have that shows the maintenance and warning marks would be very helpful. I'm hoping to include this aircraft on my next sheet of decals and I've never seen anyone get all the stencil data right for it. So that's my goal here.

Looks like "CAUTION

OPERATE ROTARY DOOR WITH EXTREME CARE"

Hi Scott.

Yes, I think you could be right there. If you squint really hard at that blurry image I posted it certainly does look like what you're suggesting. Do you know if that stencil was used on USAF birds?

thanks

David

I’d say that placard is particular to that a/c as the only time you had to be careful rotating a standard rotary door is when the crew had their bags inside the bay with something breakable i.e. bottles of certain beverages. :whistle: With 067 the main thing hung under the door was the ALE-2 chaff dispenser which was 13' long, longer than the door so if one weren’t paying attention and tried to rotate the door with the pod installed…crunch.

Jari