Injection needles as gun barrels

Hi guys,

I got myself some injection needles to simulate gun barrels on my model aircrafts.

But... how do you guys cut these needles into pieces without deforming the needle?

When using wire cutters, the needle gets compressed and then cut, and that's not what you want, right?

I also tried a "Stanley" knife and a surgical blade, but that didn't work...

Regards,

Jurgen

1st I use a cutting wheel in a Dremel tool.

Or with a heavy utility blade you can roll it till you eventually cut through, same as a plumbers pipe cutter. if you have no other resource than clippers find a piece of wire that is the same or close diameter to the needle and slide it inside then cut, it will help to keep if from getting smashed, or you will just have to cut it the best you can then dress it up with a file or grinding wheel.

Curt

Hi guys,

I got myself some injection needles to simulate gun barrels on my model aircrafts.

But... how do you guys cut these needles into pieces without deforming the needle?

When using wire cutters, the needle gets compressed and then cut, and that's not what you want, right?

I also tried a "Stanley" knife and a surgical blade, but that didn't work...

Regards,

Jurgen

Hi! I will suggest you to use the other end of the needle, the one that has plastic around it and connects to the syringe barrel (needle hub). it is perfectly cut, just press the plastic part with some pliers to loosen it. and be careful

syringe_diagram.jpg

hope it helps

Byron

Like Netz, I also use a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel. I wrap the needle in a small amount of masking tape. This way, I don't lose the part that I'm cutting, and I can mark the spot where I want to cut. Don't put on too much tape around the needle or it will "gum up" your cut-off wheel. After you get the cutting done carefully remove the tape. Now, you can lightly sand off any burrs, or use a very fine stone to bevel the end of the needle down (such as the F-16's pitot tube) to where it needs to be. Good Luck!!! :salute:

You can avoid these issues by purchasing 'drawing needles' instead. These needles are used for drawing up liquids, and are perfectly flat cut on the end because they are not used to puncture. I found these out by accident when I went to a chemist to purchase some needles simulate gun barrels as well. The chemist said "we are out of this size needle, we only have drawing needles." When he showed me what a drawing needle was, I took 10.

As you can see, there's quite a number of ways to cut them, but the method I like best seems the simplest. I use a triangle or small square file, use the pointed corner of the file to make a mark at the desired location of cut, give it a pass or two with the file. Then using two pliers, one on each side of the file mark, and just bend. The tube will snap at the location where you hit it with the file. Follow up with a flat file to clean up the cut.