Random superbowl thoughts

- The team that makes the fewest mistakes typically wins. The Pat's have made some very basic mistakes in the first half. 12 men on the field? That should not be happening. It negated a huge defensive play. Brady getting bagged for a safety was pathetic.

- My only consolation is that in many of the final games of the season, the Patriots have been smoked in the first half and then come back hot and won the game.

- I was skeptical about Madonna doing the half time show but I have to give her props, the show she put on was pretty impressive. Much better than the Stones, Tom Petty, etc. She might be getting up there in years but she is still pretty hot (I was going to use the word that rhymes with "filth" but thought twice).

- Pierre-Paul is outstanding.

That was one of the most boring Superbowls I have ever seen... until the last 5 minutes. All the Pats had to do was stop that last drive. I can't believe a team that won their Division with a 9/7 record won the Superbowl.

Oh well... congrats to the Giants.

Well, I'll give thumbs up to the Giants defense as they played four quarters even if the Giants O took time to warm up after the 1st quarter touchdown. With the way the Patriots were marking it down the field mid-way through the fourth quarter I felt they were likely going to get a touchdown with under four minutes left, making it a two score game and no way for the Giants to get back in time (since the Patriots had a timeout or two left). But, it didn't happen that way, the ball got punted and Eli threw that laser to the 50 yard line (and Bill was ill-advised to throw the challenge flag). Of course the Giants scored. But if you are TRYING to stop on the 1 yard line to let the clock run, you don't try to stop 3 inches before the goal line and sit down. So I don't think trying to keep the clock going was the intent of that score and I have a feeling the sitdown in the endzone bit was Bradshaw being cute. So Tom ran out of time.

Personally, I don't really have a stake in this game so I wouldn't have felt much different if it had been the Patriots getting the Lombardi trophy. But, I am glad the Giants pulled it off as listening to all the talking head crap this weekend, I don't think ANYONE was giving them the respect they deserved. And so now Eli has done something his bother hasn't done (or will likely do at this point)... won two Superbowl rings. Congratulations!

Edited by Jay Chladek

i've seen worse losses for the pats. so its not hurting that bad, not like 42.

great game to watch though, kinda curious about how that was a safety since it looked like he was outside the has marks to me...

would have been great to see Gronk come up with that deflected ball at the end but No Soy Fiesta.

good game, horrible halftime show.

Props to the Giants.

I was delightfully entertained by the Madonna halftime show. Much better than the 'Stones or the Who (both bands I adored in their day mind you). Springsteen gave a great show 2 years ago, my wife was actually there and she was converted to a Springsteen fan LOL!

Well, I'll give thumbs up to the Giants defense as they played four quarters even if the Giants O took time to warm up after the 1st quarter touchdown. With the way the Patriots were marking it down the field mid-way through the fourth quarter I felt they were likely going to get a touchdown with under four minutes left, making it a two score game and no way for the Giants to get back in time (since the Patriots had a timeout or two left). But, it didn't happen that way, the ball got punted and Eli threw that laser to the 50 yard line (and Bill was ill-advised to throw the challenge flag). Of course the Giants scored. But if you are TRYING to stop on the 1 yard line to let the clock run, you don't try to stop 3 inches before the goal line and sit down. So I don't think trying to keep the clock going was the intent of that score and I have a feeling the sitdown in the endzone bit was Bradshaw being cute. So Tom ran out of time.

Was a good call by Bill imo, he was trying stop the momentum. If one was to watch it again, Eli was going to rush the plays, he was yelling at his guys to hurry and get on the line, so the Pats had less time to react to them.

great game to watch though, kinda curious about how that was a safety since it looked like he was outside the has marks to me...

He threw the ball so he did not get sacked in the endzone. He intentionally threw the ball away with no player close to it, I am sure espn or someone will show replays, closes person to the ball was a Giants who was maybe 20 yards from the ball if my memory is correct.

Was a good call by Bill imo, he was trying stop the momentum. If one was to watch it again, Eli was going to rush the plays, he was yelling at his guys to hurry and get on the line, so the Pats had less time to react to them.

Indeed, you are probably correct. But I felt Bill would have tried to keep one of his timeouts a little longer because you knew regardless of the outcome of that Giants drive, the Patriots were still going to get the ball back one more time with probably under a minute to play on what was still likely to be a one score game and even Tom Brady can't always work THAT kind of miracle.

Mayo's offside with < 5 minutes left lost the game for the Pats. If he hadn't jumped, NE would have gotten the ball and had a good chance to run out the clock. Like I said, the team that makes the most mistakes typically looses and the Pat's made a bunch of mistakes this time. Pretty poor showing, they stole defeat from the jaws of victory. Anyway, it certainly was a good game to watch, nice way to close out the season.

NE better figure out a way to tighten up their defense next season.

But if you are TRYING to stop on the 1 yard line to let the clock run, you don't try to stop 3 inches before the goal line and sit down. So I don't think trying to keep the clock going was the intent of that score and I have a feeling the sitdown in the endzone bit was Bradshaw being cute.

I don't think he was being cute. I think he was genuinely surprised. Things happen fast down there, and after decades of play he was thinking TD-- and only at the last moment realized that may not be the best idea...

It all comes down to game theory and situational football. It worked out. thats all that matters, and frankly he was smart to just fall in. Kickers in super bowls can get a little wacky. I really didn't want it left to a kicker if it could be avoided.

Indeed, you are probably correct. But I felt Bill would have tried to keep one of his timeouts a little longer because you knew regardless of the outcome of that Giants drive, the Patriots were still going to get the ball back one more time with probably under a minute to play on what was still likely to be a one score game and even Tom Brady can't always work THAT kind of miracle.

What killed Brady at the end to me was his guys inability to catch a perfectly thrown foot ball. With the plays they did and if the guys caught the balls, they would have been at least around the 20-10 yard-line going for the touchdown.

I don't think he was being cute. I think he was genuinely surprised. Things happen fast down there, and after decades of play he was thinking TD-- and only at the last moment realized that may not be the best idea...

It all comes down to game theory and situational football. It worked out. thats all that matters, and frankly he was smart to just fall in. Kickers in super bowls can get a little wacky. I really didn't want it left to a kicker if it could be avoided.

I think he had every intention of getting the touch down, Think he just tried his idea of running down more time LOL.

A field goal would have meant Pats only needed a field goal in the time they had.

I didn't have a horse in the race but I enjoyed the game ...

I like it when it comes down to the last play ... Much better than a blow out and the winning team's QB taking a knee ...

Gregg

He threw the ball so he did not get sacked in the endzone. He intentionally threw the ball away with no player close to it, I am sure espn or someone will show replays, closes person to the ball was a Giants who was maybe 20 yards from the ball if my memory is correct.

He also had Justin Tuck breathing down his neck too. It's only grounding if he was trying to avoid a sack and he was.

Edited by muswp1

If five years ago you predicted that Eli would have two Rings and peyton an uncertain future, raise your hand. If, statistically, you chose Eli Manning as the most clutch 4th quarter QB this season raise your hand again. A 9-7 giants team in the same division as Philly's "dream team" just won the superbowl as a fourth seed behind the Niners, Packers, and Saints. All of whom I would have chosen as SB winners long before the Giants entered into it. The Giants get hot at the right moment after a roller coaster season yet again to win it all. The G-men also beat the pats twice this season (that is not easy, you usually get them ONCE, and then they learn and wipe you out the second time) The Giants just seem to be Brady/Bellicheck kryptonite.

Rex Ryan is finally right about a New York team in the Super Bowl :rofl:

- The team that makes the fewest mistakes typically wins. The Pat's have made some very basic mistakes in the first half. 12 men on the field? That should not be happening. It negated a huge defensive play. Brady getting bagged for a safety was pathetic.

- My only consolation is that in many of the final games of the season, the Patriots have been smoked in the first half and then come back hot and won the game.

- I was skeptical about Madonna doing the half time show but I have to give her props, the show she put on was pretty impressive. Much better than the Stones, Tom Petty, etc. She might be getting up there in years but she is still pretty hot (I was going to use the word that rhymes with "filth" but thought twice).

- Pierre-Paul is outstanding.

I could have gone to the game, but stayed home instead (I hate large crowds of people). The folks that went up there behaved extremely well, and it was a virtual crime free zone for the two weeks the event took place! My hats off to both groups of folks and the ones that stayed out in the streets to party all night long.

what I saw:

* back field judge should have been tossed out of the game after the first quarter. He was clearly in someone's pocket.

* I could not believe the "no calls!!" One face mask after another committed by the Pat's seconadary. But above all that was the simple fact that the backfield judge never made a single holding call, and it looked like an Aurther Murray Dance Studio when the Pats had the ball. Lots of unintentional late hits in the game, and on anyother game they'd been called.

* both teams were called for 12 men on the field once. The Pats guy actually lined up! The Giants guy just got caught on the field while heading to the side lines. Brady took a play right out of Peyton's play book. Was very surprised as to how well the Pat's run defense was. Much better than I expected them to be.

* I thought the Giants could have done a little better job at clock management, and I thought that the Pat's did a better job than I expected out of them.

* The two teams should have been ten points apart at half time. Thank the backfield judge for that.

* The Pats should have lost the game by two touchdowns, and one must give the Pat's coaching staff credit where credit is due. They did a great job against a better team.

* quarterbacks! I thought that the Giants were getting into Brady's head later in the first half, and they only thing that saved him from being sacked three or four times in the first half was the Aurther Murray Dance Class and the backfield judge. On the otherhand I thought Eli played a near perfect game. Could have had better protection, but you have to give the Pat's credit there.

gary

That was one of the most boring Superbowls I have ever seen... until the last 5 minutes. All the Pats had to do was stop that last drive. I can't believe a team that won their Division with a 9/7 record won the Superbowl.

Oh well... congrats to the Giants.

I can believe they won. A 9/7 record dosn't really show when you look at injuries and such thru the regular season. I predicted the Giants would go deep into the play offs, but picked the Packers all the way. I think the idea of being idol for a couple games hurts the Packers. Plus the Giants peaked right at the very last of the season while the Packers peaked in mid October. The 49's were the impressive team for me, but also thought they were two or three players from being a Superbowl team. I knew right up front the Saints were not going anywhere. The Pat's always play well, but the Giants were better all season long.

gary

Don't particularly care for/follow NFL, but I watch the Super Bowl every year. As stated above the last 5 minutes or so were very exciting.

I wasn't overly disappointed in the rest of the game....just the halftime show.

Poor Madonna. She was either unprepared or has completely lost the ability to put on a show.

The only good side to the halftime show was the cool light show thing on the ground....it was sort of surreal to see.

The 49's were the impressive team for me, but also thought they were two or three players from being a Superbowl team. I knew right up front the Saints were not going anywhere.

I was downright shocked at how well both those teams played one another....it was to me the hardest played game between two teams this year...they both really wanted it badly...

I was downright shocked at how well both those teams played one another....it was to me the hardest played game between two teams this year...they both really wanted it badly...

I thought the 49's peaked about two games ahead of the Giants, and watched them just get better all year long. The real dissappointment for me was Atlanta! The peaked way too early and ran right square into a bulldozer. I thoought Baltamore would be good, but seriously not that good! Biggest dissappointment was with the Jets. That team literally just fell apart in the last quarter of the season, and seemed to play out of sync half of everygame they played.

gary

Biggest dissappointment was with the Jets. That team literally just fell apart in the last quarter of the season, and seemed to play out of sync half of everygame they played.

gary

Not to mention the trash Philly submitted for our entertainment in 2011.

Ken