Selling models on Ebay

So today in looking online for some stuff, I stumbled across a couple of vendors who are actually selling kits online. And not for $60 and a can of spam.....I'm talking more along the lines of $300 - $850. Now, don't get me wrong. These guys are pumping out some great looking kits, but the fact that the market is that high for them is mind boggling. I didn't think it was possible until I went and looked at some of their feed back, and saw that people were not only paying these prices.....but were actually happy with the fact of shelling out that kind of money for a $80 Hasegawa kit with all the bells and whistles for $400. So I guess I'm curious to ask around and find out if you guys think these numbers and stats/feedbacks are doctored by the seller themselves, or if there is in fact people out there with that kind of money to just throw around for a model airplane kit. Again, they were great looking models, and I'm sure they did custom work including aftermarket decals and kits to make em' look good, but what's you guys' thoughts on this. Because as it's looking, I'm getting mighty tempted to throw out a bid on my first completed plane just for giggles and see what happens. (*seeing dollar signs, lol)

For an example, check out Dogfighters.com. Their base line price is $350.00, meaning you won't even get out the door with anything less than that.

I'm not sure, but upon further looking, I see some old beaters that look like they've been sitting on a shelf since '63 with botched paint jobs that have 16 bids, and have went from 9.99 all the way up to 49.00. Something tells me we're onto something. lol.

So these are built kits?

I mean I guess I can see someone buying them if they're really into the subject and have disposable income. Maybe they never got into the hobby or did and just found they were lacking in talent or patience or whatever.

Some of these built models for 350 or so I can totally believe the price. Think of what you put into a model when you build it. Between kit cost and supplies and paints and after market and whatever. This can get very expensive fast. Plus if you're building it and trying to sell it for profit you've got to make some money somewhere.

Some of these die cast planes go for 100 or more and they look like toys.

I would love to sell built kits online and not even for profit. I'd be happy to get back what I paid for the kit or whatever as I don't have the space to display these and all my joy comes in the building. I'd be terribly afraid of shipping a built model though. Which keeps me from doing it.

I built kits for collectors to support myself throughout university. Mainly WWII armour and vehicles. I would charge anywhere between $300 to $1200 depending on the kit, finish required, and extras. I have no problems with the high prices a built kit is marketed for - most builders would NEVER get back their time charged at a reasonable rate.

I know, seems shocking when you give a casual look, but put yourself at the bench.

If you consider yourself a clean builder using tools, eliminating seams, masking, airbrushing, decals, wash, etc.

and arrive at a satisfying result at the end, what IS it worth? How much do you make at your "Real Job?"

say per hour? How many hours do you put into the build? Starts to eat at that overall amount very quickly.

You typically would not make close to what you do working, but it can be way more enjoyable too.

Although like a car mechanic driving a clunker, you would turn your hobby into a job!

Edited by phasephantomphixer

just make sure that your packing technique are perfect... and that you have a reliable parcel system... (ship yourself a packed model to see how it turns...)

beware that a refunded or returned item doesn't pay much... and that ebay/paypal take a noticeable share in your business...

All good points. Im honestly debating putting a good build up there just to see what happens (if i can manage an awesome build.) No doubt i can see all the time and effort that goes into these and some folks just dont like to invest that time but do want the finished product. And with all the customization thats available out there now everyone is partial to be fond of one of the models out there. If anyone tries this out keep us posted on what the outcome is. Im curious.

Just remember if you do that, expect that your first builds probably won't go for much until you start to build a reputation as a first class builder. Then the word gets out and can result in some decent business. It is a bit of a crap shoot though.

My concern; how many of these built models wind up at shows claiming they were built by someone not the true builder?

If someone's life is so sad, empty, and pathetic that they need to use someone else's model to win what little "fame" is earned from a contest, I'll gladly hand over my first place award to help him.

Shopping venues such as eBay and Amazon are typical places nontraditional customers shop. They don't know about modeling events, vendors and swap meets. They have a desire for a product, usually an impulse purchase as either a gift for themselves or someone else. They search, they find and they spend.

To be honest, any decent modeler who sells his work for $350 is under-valuing his talent and skills.

Do you know what figure painters are getting for their 54mm and 90mm figures? Attend a show like the MMSI show in Chicago, the SCAHMS show in California, or any World Expo and you'll find the top guys in the hobby selling their figures for upwards of $500 - $1,000. The quality looks something like this:

Zapotek bust

Templar Knight

Line Grenadier

But again, who buys built kits? Who would pay this much for something like this? Why would they want it?

I can totally see justifying the cost in labor and parts. There's a lot of money, time and talent invested for sure.

As a builder I like to display my work at home, but I'm really buying a kit and investing my time for the enjoyment of building it. Once it's built, I rarely even take notice of it anymore.

But I just can't imagine buying a pre-built model kit (or one of those die cast models you see in magazines). What would be the point? That's a lot of money for what in return? A knick-nack to get dusty on a shelf?

What's the market profile? Are these people some sort of art collectors? Do they generally buy just one particular example of a subject (perhaps the plane dad flew in the war or something), or do they collect many models?

Edited by dmk0210

I think there's the legit art factor included when people bypass the die cast models for something that was hand made, and model kits are often more acurately represented of the real product as opposed to...lets say the wooden carved models....even though those are also hand made, they're still just wood. Again, I can totally see how much money and work goes into a custom built kit, and maybe people (especially veterans) just hold some memories of their service so close that it means that much to them to shell out that kind of cash for an awesome product. Or, like was also stated, people with time and money on their hands go on Ebay for a gift idea, or impulsive buy and find it and buy it with no questions asked.

I think there's the legit art factor included when people bypass the die cast models for something that was hand made, and model kits are often more acurately represented of the real product as opposed to...lets say the wooden carved models....even though those are also hand made, they're still just wood. Again, I can totally see how much money and work goes into a custom built kit, and maybe people (especially veterans) just hold some memories of their service so close that it means that much to them to shell out that kind of cash for an awesome product. Or, like was also stated, people with time and money on their hands go on Ebay for a gift idea, or impulsive buy and find it and buy it with no questions asked.

I agree. After perusing this forum for the last month, I am very impressed with the quality of work displayed on ARC. There are some real masterpieces! I am building a Canadair Sabre as a memento of my father-in-law who passed away last year. I am sure that there are a ton of people out there in the same situation, who would cherish one of these labours of love as a keepsake of a loved one. When I consider that, as an IT guy, I was getting paid $40/hour to fix people's computers, the skill involved in building these kits is more demanding (in my humble opinion). If I were being paid at my old hourly rate, I would be well over $1000 just on this partly finished Sabre build, lol.

If I can do a decent job on this kit, I will seriously consider building some more to supplement my retirement income. I am having a blast modelling again (over 40 years since my last kit) and what better way is there to make a little extra coin than by doing something you love?

I will do a commission build, but I don't advertise as it is really not about that for me. I mention it briefly in the gallery section of my website. My basic rate for a 1/72 jet is $250 plus price of kit and decals. Any heavy mods cost extra. Complex builds like the F-14 are extra. Custom bases extra.

As for the market.....well it depends on what you are selling. Popular subjects are obviously a bigger draw. When I get some of those done, I may test the waters on ebay. If a model wins an award (especially 1st) at an IPMS meet and you willing to let the award go with the model, then that is an incentive.

Edited by DutyCat

I've thought about trying to sell some of my older builds just to free up some shelf space. Even if someone wanted to buy them I wouldn't know how to ship a completed model without it being pulverized in transit.

I built kits for collectors to support myself throughout university.
I will do a commission build

So who were your clients? Ex-pilots? Family and friends of vets? Military or aircraft enthusiasts?

Why were they buying models for someone else to build? Just to put on a shelf? For a tribute display?

I just don't get the draw to pay that much money for something to sit on a shelf. I can't picture the market. (not trying to say there isn't one, obviously there is)

Edited by dmk0210

So who were your clients? Ex-pilots? Family and friends of vets? Military or aircraft enthusiasts?

Why were they buying models for someone else to build? Just to put on a shelf? For a tribute display?

I just don't get the draw to pay that much money for something to sit on a shelf. I can't picture the market. (not trying to say there isn't one, obviously there is)

Let me see....

A guy who served on the Yorktown who wanted a model of one

A guy who's Dad worked on B-58s.

A guy who's Dad flew PBY's with Cousteau (x2...one for him. One for his Mom. Dad was killed in a plane crash; not in the Cousteau PBY, however)

Three guys that have flown S-3's.

A Navy P-3 wing commander that wanted an ASW trophy made from a model sub.

Thinking about maybe posting some flyers around here at work to see if anyone bites. I'm an inspector on the F-35 program here in Fort Worth, so there's obviously an interest in aviation around the work place. Would be worth a shot just to see who would be interested.